What determines ulimit settings on HP-UX? - HP UX

This is a discussion on What determines ulimit settings on HP-UX? - HP UX ; What determintes ulimit settings on HP-UX? For example, AIX has file /etc/security/limits. Is there something similar on HP-UX? We have two HP-UX servers, /etc/profile are the same and do not contain references to any external files, but output of "ulimit ...

  1. What determines ulimit settings on HP-UX?

    What determintes ulimit settings on HP-UX?
    For example, AIX has file /etc/security/limits.
    Is there something similar on HP-UX?
    We have two HP-UX servers, /etc/profile
    are the same and do not contain references
    to any external files, but output of "ulimit -a" is different:

    server#1> ulimit -a
    time(seconds) unlimited
    file(blocks) unlimited
    data(kbytes) 163840
    stack(kbytes) 8192
    memory(kbytes) unlimited
    coredump(blocks) 4194303

    server#2> ulimit -a
    time(seconds) unlimited
    file(blocks) unlimited
    data(kbytes) 655360
    stack(kbytes) 8192
    memory(kbytes) unlimited
    coredump(blocks) 4194303

    Thanks

  2. Re: What determines ulimit settings on HP-UX?

    Vsevolod Afanassiev wrote:
    > What determintes ulimit settings on HP-UX?
    > For example, AIX has file /etc/security/limits.
    > Is there something similar on HP-UX?

    For data and stack, the global limits are directly
    derived from the maxdsiz/maxdsiz_64bit, maxssiz/maxssiz_64bit
    kernel tunables. Processes get the global limits as their
    hard limit if the parent did not modify (lower) the hard
    limit. Soft limits start as the hard limit and can be modified
    by processes as well. If the parent modified the hard limit,
    that limit is propagated to the child (if possible, cases like
    64-->32 exec don't always allow this, in which case the more
    restrictive limit is applied (32-bit system limit vs. parent
    limit).

    If you're on 11i v1.6 or later, "man maxdsiz" or "man maxssiz".
    If you're on 11i v1, take a look at:
    http://docs.hp.com/en/TKP-90202/re34.html

    Don

    > We have two HP-UX servers, /etc/profile
    > are the same and do not contain references
    > to any external files, but output of "ulimit -a" is different:
    >
    > server#1> ulimit -a
    > time(seconds) unlimited
    > file(blocks) unlimited
    > data(kbytes) 163840
    > stack(kbytes) 8192
    > memory(kbytes) unlimited
    > coredump(blocks) 4194303
    >
    > server#2> ulimit -a
    > time(seconds) unlimited
    > file(blocks) unlimited
    > data(kbytes) 655360
    > stack(kbytes) 8192
    > memory(kbytes) unlimited
    > coredump(blocks) 4194303
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: What determines ulimit settings on HP-UX?

    > For data and stack, the global limits are directly
    > derived from the maxdsiz/maxdsiz_64bit, maxssiz/maxssiz_64bit
    > kernel tunables. Processes get the global limits as their
    > hard limit if the parent did not modify (lower) the hard
    > limit. Soft limits start as the hard limit and can be modified
    > by processes as well. If the parent modified the hard limit,
    > that limit is propagated to the child (if possible, cases like
    > 64-->32 exec don't always allow this, in which case the more
    > restrictive limit is applied (32-bit system limit vs. parent
    > limit).
    >
    > If you're on 11i v1.6 or later, "man maxdsiz" or "man maxssiz".
    > If you're on 11i v1, take a look at:
    > http://docs.hp.com/en/TKP-90202/re34.html

    also see swapmem_on(5).

    --vvp