Upgrading 712/100 to 11i - HP UX

This is a discussion on Upgrading 712/100 to 11i - HP UX ; Sorry for asking another question like this, but I can't find the precise answer anywhere... I have a 712/100 as a hobbyist system. It's currently running 11, and I was planning to purchase a 64-bit system so I could get ...

  1. Upgrading 712/100 to 11i

    Sorry for asking another question like this, but I can't find the
    precise answer anywhere...

    I have a 712/100 as a hobbyist system. It's currently running 11, and I
    was planning to purchase a 64-bit system so I could get a look at 11i.
    But, I then read somewhere that 11i will run on this 712/100, which is
    a 32-bit system. Looking at the HP site, it seems like 11i v1 could run
    in 32-bit, but v2 is only 64-bit, but I'm not sure.

    I also read that there could be a way to upgrade my box, keeping it's
    current license intact. This would mean not having to purchase 11i. Not
    that I'm looking to scrimp on the OS! It would help, that's all.

    Can anyone point me towards finding a definitive answer to this?

    Many thanks in advance,

    /a.

  2. Re: Upgrading 712/100 to 11i

    Thanks for your replies. What was puzzling for me was, unless the
    machine I buy has 11i installed, it seems difficult to get media for
    the base 11i OE. I've noticed on the hp.com site, that a workstation
    license is free. But, since I always like to do my own installs (for
    education), it would be better to get media from HP.

    I also understand that you can't simply download HP-UX! If anyone out
    there is in the UK, perhaps they could recommend a suitable channel to
    pick up 11i media?

    Cheers,

    /a.

    PS. I managed to get hold of HP-UX 11 a few years ago, through a thing
    called 'Easy Setup', perhaps a precursor of the OE concept for 11i. HP
    actually sent me some burned CDRs through the post! I heard Easy Setup
    got axed, though.

  3. Re: Upgrading 712/100 to 11i

    Hi

    I am not that experienced with 11i, but is there that much difference
    between 11.0 and 11i you could checkout on a 712?

    Florian

  4. Re: Upgrading 712/100 to 11i

    I'm not sure, that's a good question. The main reason for getting hold
    of 11i is to be able to sit the CSA and CSE exams. At the same time,
    I'm sure a lot of shops still run 11, so perhaps having both systems
    could be useful.

    Although, saying that, it's difficult to replicate an enterprise setup
    on a hobbyist system - large volumes, high availability etc. I suppose
    your best bet is to get certified and then try to get taken on by a
    firm. Either that or try to get the OS to actually serve you somehow!
    Development, web services etc. None of those things really depend on
    the difference between 11 and 11i, although certainly new OSS software
    will probably be supported on 11i much further into the future.

  5. Re: Upgrading 712/100 to 11i

    Florian Anwander wrote:
    > I am not that experienced with 11i, but is there that much
    > difference between 11.0 and 11i you could checkout on a 712?

    One notable difference in networking is 11i has IPv6 where 11.0 does
    not. I think the Mobile IP stuff (v4 and v6) are 11i rather than 11.0
    - certainly, since IPv6 is 11i, Mobile IPv6 would likely be 11i

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?

  6. Re: Upgrading 712/100 to 11i

    How about where to get HP-UX media? Sorry, but it's rather confusing
    for people not versed in HP's unique way of doing things! It's not
    clear at all from their website.

    I'm in the UK, and would appreciate a tip from someone based there on
    how to get hold of media so I can install 11i myself, regardless of my
    license.

    TIA,

    a.

  7. Re: Upgrading 712/100 to 11i