Cheap wireless network connection - HP UX

This is a discussion on Cheap wireless network connection - HP UX ; Any thoughts on how I could link my K570 which resides in the garage into my home SBC DSL wireless network? Is there some way to attach an inexpensive wireless adapter or am I too used to the ease of ...

  1. Cheap wireless network connection

    Any thoughts on how I could link my K570 which resides in the garage
    into my home SBC DSL wireless network? Is there some way to attach an
    inexpensive wireless adapter or am I too used to the ease of how PCs can
    achieve this?

  2. Re: Cheap wireless network connection

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 06:34:17 GMT, jab-ph
    wrote:

    >Any thoughts on how I could link my K570 which resides in the garage
    >into my home SBC DSL wireless network? Is there some way to attach an
    >inexpensive wireless adapter or am I too used to the ease of how PCs can
    >achieve this?

    Just plug an Ethernet Wifi bridge.
    --
    echo papxc.sthrwpbeh@ugtt.ug | tr "p-za-o" "a-z"

  3. Re: Cheap wireless network connection

    How do I configure the bridge or more accurately do I access the bridge
    via the 9000? I've got a 2Wire hub/router/DSL modem for the home
    network already and I thought it would be something like an 802.11g
    adapter card, but that requires some interaction for configuration with
    its host?

    Alain Deschamps wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 06:34:17 GMT, jab-ph
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Any thoughts on how I could link my K570 which resides in the garage
    >>into my home SBC DSL wireless network? Is there some way to attach an
    >>inexpensive wireless adapter or am I too used to the ease of how PCs can
    >>achieve this?

    > Just plug an Ethernet Wifi bridge.

  4. Re: Cheap wireless network connection

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:54:33 GMT, jab-ph
    wrote:

    >Alain Deschamps wrote:
    >> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 06:34:17 GMT, jab-ph
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Any thoughts on how I could link my K570 which resides in the garage
    >>>into my home SBC DSL wireless network? Is there some way to attach an
    >>>inexpensive wireless adapter or am I too used to the ease of how PCs can
    >>>achieve this?

    >> Just plug an Ethernet Wifi bridge.

    >How do I configure the bridge or more accurately do I access the bridge
    >via the 9000?

    It depends on the bridge. Generally they are administrable through a
    Web interface. It might be necessary to configure it from a windows
    computer.

    >I've got a 2Wire hub/router/DSL modem for the home
    >network already and I thought it would be something like an 802.11g
    >adapter card, but that requires some interaction for configuration with
    >its host?

    I doubt you can find a driver in HP-UX for an PCI Wifi card which
    seems the only adapter which can fit in K570.

    You shall got more answer in alt.internet.wireless which I set the
    followup to.
    --
    echo papxc.sthrwpbeh@ugtt.ug | tr "p-za-o" "a-z"

  5. Re: Cheap wireless network connection

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:08:42 +0200, Alain Deschamps
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:54:33 GMT, jab-ph
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Alain Deschamps wrote:

    >>> Just plug an Ethernet Wifi bridge.

    >>How do I configure the bridge or more accurately do I access the bridge
    >>via the 9000?

    >It depends on the bridge. Generally they are administrable through a
    >Web interface. It might be necessary to configure it from a windows
    >computer.

    There are very few wireless ethernet bridge boxes that require a
    non-web browser configuration. The older DWL-900AP+, WAP11, and ME102
    models have USB inputs for configuration. Some Cisco models have a
    serial port. However, all of these allow configuration via TCP/IP and
    a web browser. If you have an HP UX machine with TCP/IP and a web
    browser, you should be able to configure almost any modern wireless
    bridge, access point, or router.

    >>I've got a 2Wire hub/router/DSL modem for the home
    >>network already and I thought it would be something like an 802.11g
    >>adapter card, but that requires some interaction for configuration with
    >>its host?
    >>

    >I doubt you can find a driver in HP-UX for an PCI Wifi card which
    >seems the only adapter which can fit in K570.
    >
    >You shall got more answer in alt.internet.wireless which I set the
    >followup to.

    What you want is a wireless client adapter. This is also sometimes
    called a "game adapter". It plugs into the ethernet port on your HP
    box and acts as a bridge (where everything works on the MAC layer and
    not at the IP layer like a router). Most access points (not wireless
    routers) have a "client mode" setting. For example, the WAP54G is a
    wireless bridge with a client mode.

    Now, things get complex. Many "game adapters" and "client bridges"
    only allow one client at a time. They will only bridge one MAC
    address per connections. If you have other networked devices in the
    garage, only one will work at a time to your unspecified model 2wire
    router, which may or may not already have a wireless access point
    built in. It's difficult to deduce from your posting as you seem to
    be only looking for a client side solution. In the future kindly
    specify the model numbers of your hardware. Also, what's the radio
    path? 2.4GHz doesn't go through trees, hills, walls, mountains, etc.

    I suggest a WRT54G router, with Sveasoft Alchemy firmware, which
    impliments a "client mode" and handle multiple connected clients.

    If you do *NOT* already have an access point built into your
    unspecified model 2wire router, the wireless link can also be handled
    by a pair of wireless bridges. I don't want to supply all the
    possible options, combinations and permutations until I get some
    detail.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

  6. Re: Cheap wireless network connection

    Jeff,
    Thanks for your inputs. I have a 2Wire 1000 HG Home Portal router/modem
    establishing the home network. The garage actually contains 2 K-class
    servers, a 570 UX machine and a 929KS MPE machine. Ideally, if I could
    put both K-class servers on a common network in the garage (4 port
    Ethernet - wireless router) and use that to communicate to the 2Wire?
    Am I on the right track or off in left field someplace? Again, if that
    is possible, the question is how to configure that device, just hook up
    a PC with an Ethernet to accomplish that task initially?
    Jerry

    Jeff Liebermann wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:08:42 +0200, Alain Deschamps
    > wrote:
    >

    >>On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:54:33 GMT, jab-ph
    >>wrote:

    >>>How do I configure the bridge or more accurately do I access the bridge
    >>>via the 9000?

    >>It depends on the bridge. Generally they are administrable through a
    >>Web interface. It might be necessary to configure it from a windows
    >>computer.

    > There are very few wireless ethernet bridge boxes that require a
    > non-web browser configuration. The older DWL-900AP+, WAP11, and ME102
    > models have USB inputs for configuration. Some Cisco models have a
    > serial port. However, all of these allow configuration via TCP/IP and
    > a web browser. If you have an HP UX machine with TCP/IP and a web
    > browser, you should be able to configure almost any modern wireless
    > bridge, access point, or router.
    >

    >>>I've got a 2Wire hub/router/DSL modem for the home
    >>>network already and I thought it would be something like an 802.11g
    >>>adapter card, but that requires some interaction for configuration with
    >>>its host?
    >>>

    >>I doubt you can find a driver in HP-UX for an PCI Wifi card which
    >>seems the only adapter which can fit in K570.
    >>
    >>You shall got more answer in alt.internet.wireless which I set the
    >>followup to.

    > What you want is a wireless client adapter. This is also sometimes
    > called a "game adapter". It plugs into the ethernet port on your HP
    > box and acts as a bridge (where everything works on the MAC layer and
    > not at the IP layer like a router). Most access points (not wireless
    > routers) have a "client mode" setting. For example, the WAP54G is a
    > wireless bridge with a client mode.
    >
    > Now, things get complex. Many "game adapters" and "client bridges"
    > only allow one client at a time. They will only bridge one MAC
    > address per connections. If you have other networked devices in the
    > garage, only one will work at a time to your unspecified model 2wire
    > router, which may or may not already have a wireless access point
    > built in. It's difficult to deduce from your posting as you seem to
    > be only looking for a client side solution. In the future kindly
    > specify the model numbers of your hardware. Also, what's the radio
    > path? 2.4GHz doesn't go through trees, hills, walls, mountains, etc.
    >
    > I suggest a WRT54G router, with Sveasoft Alchemy firmware, which
    > impliments a "client mode" and handle multiple connected clients.
    >
    > If you do *NOT* already have an access point built into your
    > unspecified model 2wire router, the wireless link can also be handled
    > by a pair of wireless bridges. I don't want to supply all the
    > possible options, combinations and permutations until I get some
    > detail.

  7. Re: Cheap wireless network connection

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 19:57:01 GMT, jab-ph
    wrote:

    >Thanks for your inputs. I have a 2Wire 1000 HG Home Portal router/modem
    >establishing the home network. The garage actually contains 2 K-class
    >servers, a 570 UX machine and a 929KS MPE machine. Ideally, if I could
    >put both K-class servers on a common network in the garage (4 port
    >Ethernet - wireless router) and use that to communicate to the 2Wire?

    The 2wire 1000HG ("hyper-G") has 802.11g wireless built in. You win.

    I'm not familiar with HP hardware. This was crossposted to a wireless
    newsgroup. I'll assume that there's a web browser in there somewhere.
    That's all that's needed to configure either the wireless ethernet
    client or the 2wire router. If you want to play with the 2wire
    settings, just run:
    http://172.16.0.1 or http://gateway.2Wire.net
    See generic install docs at:
    http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/5100....000.Rev.B.pdf
    The WEP encryption key is on the serial number tag on the bottom of
    the 1000HG.

    >Am I on the right track or off in left field someplace?

    Sorta. You didn't answer 2 of my questions:
    1. What does the RF path look like between the garage and where the
    2wire router is sitting? If you don't have line of sight, it's not
    going to work.
    2. Do you want to connect all those computers to the internet? It's
    not a problem but if you want to connect only one, there are other
    solutions that might work.

    My guess is you want everything connected. I suggest a Linksys WRT54G
    with either Sveasoft Alchemy firmware. See:
    | http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/3/1/ (slow due to DDoS attack)
    or:
    | http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.ph...9#Feature_List
    Both allow a "client mode" which will handle multiple MAC addresses.
    Just plug it into your garage network, configure with a web browser,
    and connect to the 2wire 1000HG router.

    One catch is that Linksys has released Version 4 and 5 of the WRT54G
    and the Alchemy firmware does not work with these hardware versions.
    Be careful what you buy. Rev 3 or earlier work fine. Sveasoft just
    released Talisman 1.1 which is allegedly a substantial improvement,
    but costs $20.
    | http://www.linksysinfo.org/
    However, DD-WRT works with version 4 or 5 hardware.

    Other firmware feature comparison:
    | http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...howpage&pid=31

    >Again, if that
    >is possible, the question is how to configure that device, just hook up
    >a PC with an Ethernet to accomplish that task initially?

    Yep. Any computah with a web browser and TCP/IP will be useable to
    configure the devices. Try it with your 2wire.
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

  8. Re: Cheap wireless network connection

    jab-ph wrote:
    > Any thoughts on how I could link my K570 which resides in the garage
    > into my home SBC DSL wireless network? Is there some way to attach an
    > inexpensive wireless adapter or am I too used to the ease of how PCs can
    > achieve this?

    I have finally gotten a Motorola WE800G bridge to use in the garage for
    the K570. I configured the WE800G with it attached to a desktop PC and
    confirmed that it does talk through the 2Wire 1000HG router/modem to the
    Internet. I believe that I now have something on the HP-UX side to deal
    with as I cannot see the K570 from the local PC network, nor can I
    communicate out from the K570. I'm a real network novice and not very
    skilled at UX. Can anyone step me through the network setup on the
    K570? Thx

  9. Re: Cheap wireless network connection

    jab-ph wrote:
    > jab-ph wrote:
    >
    >> Any thoughts on how I could link my K570 which resides in the garage
    >> into my home SBC DSL wireless network? Is there some way to attach an
    >> inexpensive wireless adapter or am I too used to the ease of how PCs
    >> can achieve this?

    > I have finally gotten a Motorola WE800G bridge to use in the garage for
    > the K570. I configured the WE800G with it attached to a desktop PC and
    > confirmed that it does talk through the 2Wire 1000HG router/modem to the
    > Internet. I believe that I now have something on the HP-UX side to deal
    > with as I cannot see the K570 from the local PC network, nor can I
    > communicate out from the K570. I'm a real network novice and not very
    > skilled at UX. Can anyone step me through the network setup on the
    > K570? Thx

    An update, I got the bridge working, the placement of it in the garage
    seems to attenuate the signal. Anyway, I can now ping the WE800G bridge
    with no problem from a PC upstairs (where the 2Wire wireless
    modem/router is). But if I try to ping the K570, I get anywhere from
    25-100% packet loss. Is there a something in the networking
    configuration that I can tweak? It seems starnge that the bridge can be
    ping 100% all the time and there is so much loss at the 9000, they are
    connected with a 10 foot Ethernet cable.

    Also, is there any way to either use HyperTerminal or other
    inexpensive/freeware to get a functional window on the K570 remotely,
    maybe even remote console?

+ Reply to Thread