Login thoughts? - HP UX

This is a discussion on Login thoughts? - HP UX ; I just got an old K570 that I'm playing with and the security on it seems pretty tight. I don't have any logons/passwords. After the boot process it comes up to a "Console Login:" prompt and if I attempt anything ...

  1. Login thoughts?

    I just got an old K570 that I'm playing with and the security on it
    seems pretty tight. I don't have any logons/passwords. After the boot
    process it comes up to a "Console Login:" prompt and if I attempt
    anything it then prompts for "Password:". Are there any back doors to
    get into this system. I presume I could reload the o/s but would prefer
    not to do that. I believe it is running UX 11i, as it displays B.11.11.
    Would a reset of GSP zap all the passwords and if so would there be
    any deleterious effects?

  2. Re: Login thoughts?

    jab-ph wrote:
    > I just got an old K570 that I'm playing with and the security on it
    > seems pretty tight. I don't have any logons/passwords. After the
    > boot process it comes up to a "Console Login:" prompt and if I
    > attempt anything it then prompts for "Password:". Are there any
    > back doors to get into this system. I presume I could reload the
    > o/s but would prefer not to do that.

    > I believe it is running UX 11i, as it displays B.11.11.

    That is correct - 11.11 is the kernel for the HP-UX 11i v1 operating
    environment.

    > Would a reset of GSP zap all the passwords and if so would there be
    > any deleterious effects?

    A reset of the GSP would not reset the passwords in /etc/passwd (et
    al) on the host OS.

    As the system boots, you can interrupt the boot sequence and boot to
    single-user mode - I suspect the details should be in either the
    comp.sys.hp.hpux FAQ, or one or more of the manuals I would hope are
    still around on docs.hp.com.

    There is a "secure boot" mode which can be enabled that would preclude
    interrupting the boot sequence. That is disabled (IIRC) by trying to
    boot with all the discs disconnected. The premis being that if one
    has physical access to the system all bets are off anyway

    rick jones