UX 11i install problem - HP UX

This is a discussion on UX 11i install problem - HP UX ; I'm trying to install 11i on an ild 712/60 and I'm getting a system crash message just before it reverts back to the "selecting a system to boot" HP logo screen. I can't read all the system crash message. Is ...

  1. UX 11i install problem

    I'm trying to install 11i on an ild 712/60 and I'm getting a system
    crash message just before it reverts back to the "selecting a system to
    boot" HP logo screen. I can't read all the system crash message. Is
    there a way to freeze the screen in order to understand why it's not
    working?

  2. Re: UX 11i install problem

    jab-ph wrote:
    > I'm trying to install 11i on an ild 712/60 and I'm getting a system
    > crash message just before it reverts back to the "selecting a system
    > to boot" HP logo screen. I can't read all the system crash message.
    > Is there a way to freeze the screen in order to understand why it's
    > not working?

    I take it that Ctrl-S didn't work?

    One reason the isntall is not working could very well be that 11i is
    not supported on the 712/60 to begin with. I'm not even sure that
    11.0 was "supported" on the 712/60.

    In HPSpeak:

    Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
    Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
    Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
    Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
    Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
    Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)

    Also, "11i" is a bit vague. While from the context, we might guess
    you are trying 11iv1, aka 11.11 there are also:

    11iv1.5 - aka 11.20 - Itanium Merced Only
    11iv1.6 - aka 11.22 - Itanium (Merced|McKinley) Only
    11iv2.0 - aka 11.23 - Initially Itanium (McKinley|Madison) only, the
    Sept 2004 (?) update added certain PA-RISC
    CPUs/systems.

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?

  3. Re: UX 11i install problem

    jab-ph schrieb:

    > I'm trying to install 11i on an ild 712/60 and I'm getting a system
    > crash message just before it reverts back to the "selecting a system to
    > boot" HP logo screen. I can't read all the system crash message. Is
    > there a way to freeze the screen in order to understand why it's not
    > working?

    Is you media for PA-RISC?
    How many RAM is installed in you pizza-box?

    10.20, 11.0 and 11.11 are known working on the 712 line.
    11.11 is not really a good idea with only 128 MB RAM.
    And this is maximum on 712/60 and 80.

    --
    Uli

  4. Re: UX 11i install problem

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:15:10 GMT, Rick Jones wrote:

    >jab-ph wrote:
    >> I'm trying to install 11i on an ild 712/60 and I'm getting a system
    >> crash message just before it reverts back to the "selecting a system
    >> to boot" HP logo screen. I can't read all the system crash message.
    >> Is there a way to freeze the screen in order to understand why it's
    >> not working?

    >I take it that Ctrl-S didn't work?
    >
    >One reason the isntall is not working could very well be that 11i is
    >not supported on the 712/60 to begin with. I'm not even sure that
    >11.0 was "supported" on the 712/60.

    According to the release notes for the December 2004 release of 11i v1,
    for the Series 700 - All 712, 715/64/80/100/100XC, 725/100, 743, 744,
    745, 748i, and 748 are supported in 32-bit mode. The 705, 710, 715/33,
    715/50, 715/75, 720, 725/50, 725/75, 730, 735, 750 and 755 are not
    supported.

    From the March 2003 HP-UX 11i Version 1Installation and Update Guide:

    A minimum of 64MB is required on workstations (256MB recommended). A
    minimum of 128MB of free swap space. a 4GB root disk with
    / 30MB free
    /usr 220-771 free
    /stand 100MB free
    /var 160MB free
    /opt 225-685 free

    By the December 2004 HP-UX 11i Version 1 Installation and Update Guide
    the disk space requirements go up considerably.

  5. Re: UX 11i install problem

    I've taken digital pics of the screen and the panic messages, can I post
    them on this droup? Has anyone loaded 11i on a very minimal (32MB) 712?

    jab-ph wrote:
    > I'm trying to install 11i on an ild 712/60 and I'm getting a system
    > crash message just before it reverts back to the "selecting a system to
    > boot" HP logo screen. I can't read all the system crash message. Is
    > there a way to freeze the screen in order to understand why it's not
    > working?

  6. Re: UX 11i install problem

    jab-ph (jabingb@sbcglobal.net) wrote:
    : I've taken digital pics of the screen and the panic messages, can I post
    : them on this droup? Has anyone loaded 11i on a very minimal (32MB) 712?

    No, because it needs 64MB.

    --
    Jim Hollenback
    jholly@cup.hp.com

  7. Re: UX 11i install problem

    jab-ph wrote:

    > I'm trying to install 11i on an ild 712/60 and I'm getting a system
    > crash message just before it reverts back to the "selecting a system to
    > boot" HP logo screen. I can't read all the system crash message. Is
    > there a way to freeze the screen in order to understand why it's not
    > working?

    You might need a rom update. Check http://www.openpa.net/systems/712.html.

    I did the rom-update with a net-boot (I had no tape or cdrom...) See
    http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hp700/se...nsole-712.html for netboot info.

    CBee

+ Reply to Thread