Getting information off of a troubled HDD - HP UX

This is a discussion on Getting information off of a troubled HDD - HP UX ; I'm learning how to work with unix and don't have a huge amount of experience yet. Earlier in the week, a cable connecting the hdd in question was pinched and the disc crashed. It's now landed on my desk (as ...

  1. Getting information off of a troubled HDD

    I'm learning how to work with unix and don't have a huge amount of
    experience yet. Earlier in the week, a cable connecting the hdd in
    question was pinched and the disc crashed. It's now landed on my desk
    (as I apparently know more about this than the person who damaged the
    disc) and I can't gain access to it. We don't have a backup of the
    disc that we can access easily so I was wondering if someone could help
    with a suggestion on how to access the data.

    We do have other systems and cables so if it's possible to recover it
    to a bootable state that would be fantastic or piggy back it on to
    another bootable hdd to extract the relevant information i'd love to
    know how.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Getting information off of a troubled HDD

    mhairi@physics.org wrote:

    > I'm learning how to work with unix and don't have a huge amount of
    > experience yet. Earlier in the week, a cable connecting the hdd in
    > question was pinched and the disc crashed. It's now landed on my desk
    > (as I apparently know more about this than the person who damaged the
    > disc) and I can't gain access to it. We don't have a backup of the
    > disc that we can access easily so I was wondering if someone could help
    > with a suggestion on how to access the data.
    >
    > We do have other systems and cables so if it's possible to recover it
    > to a bootable state that would be fantastic or piggy back it on to
    > another bootable hdd to extract the relevant information i'd love to
    > know how.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Depends what OS, volume manager, etc. If you have a system that is the
    same OS and Volmgr than you should be able to mount it as an external
    disk if you have an interface you can plug it in to. LVM is good to be
    able to bring disks in, if it is VxVM then I couldn't tell you.

  3. Re: Getting information off of a troubled HDD

    Thanks - I'll try using LVM as the OS and volume manager should be the
    same as one of the spare systems.

+ Reply to Thread