712/60 won't boot - HP UX

This is a discussion on 712/60 won't boot - HP UX ; Uli Link schrieb: > The RS/6000 was first announced in Dec 1989. General availability in > Spring 1990. The 320 and 520 were the first generation. > > May be a RISC machine with AIX 2 or a prototype? No ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: 712/60 won't boot

    Uli Link schrieb:

    > The RS/6000 was first announced in Dec 1989. General availability in
    > Spring 1990. The 320 and 520 were the first generation.
    >
    > May be a RISC machine with AIX 2 or a prototype?

    No RT-PC, and no prototype. We got around 70 7012-320s and around 50
    7013-520s beginning '89...

    > Or a PS/2 running AIX 1.2?

    Certainly not. We never had PS/2s running AIX...

    > I'dont have a 320 but 7012-340,370, 7009-C10,C20, 7006-42T,
    > 7011-220,250. And some newer PCI machines.
    >
    > None of them boot the AIX installation CD if the CD-ROM drives firmware
    > isn't recognized by the ROS.

    Had several 7011 (220, 250), 7012 (320, 355), 7013 (520, 550, 580, 590,
    J30, J40, J50), 7006 (41T), 7020 (40P), 7248 (43P-120), 7043 (43P-140),
    7044 (44P-170), and still have a 320H and a 3AT standing around and
    collecting dust ;-)

    Never used anything below AIX 4.1.x but all Releases I used up to AIX 5
    bootet fine from a lot of different models of CDROMs/DVDROMs. The only
    ones that didn't work were several models from NEC, but they made
    problems with HP9000s as well...

    Benjamin

  2. Re: 712/60 won't boot

    In article <434e300a$0$24176$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net>, Uli Link
    writes:

    > None of them boot the AIX installation CD if the CD-ROM drives firmware
    > isn't recognized by the ROS.
    >
    > You can boot from generic SCSI Tape or network. Bootable CD-ROM appeared
    > with AIX 4.1 and the mystery says there may exist bootable 3.2.5.1 too.

    I'll second that. I can't remember I ever saw a 3.2.5 CD.
    At that time everything was on tape or you had to boot/install via network.
    This was convenient, since IIRC the 3.2.5 installation loaded the whole
    systen anyway.
    But hey, this is an hp-ux newsgroup, not an AIX one :-:

  3. Re: 712/60 won't boot

    Michael Kraemer schrieb:

    > OK, a bit nitpicking first: these boxes are from 1990/91 :-)

    Nope. As I said we got our 320/520 already 1990. 1991 was the time the
    7011 (220, 230) appeared...

    > And they were mostly installed via tape.

    Right, since AIX 3 was usually delivered on tape..

    > CD-ROM installation became more popular with the 250 pizza boxes,

    Not exactly. CDROMs became popular when IBM began to deliver AIX 4 on
    one CDROM instead of several tapes....

    > and general advice/experience at that time was to use either original
    > IBM drives ($$$$) or Plextor.

    Right, general advice. But not necessary at all ;-)

    Benjamin

  4. Re: 712/60 won't boot

    In article <3r6uctFhlskpU1@individual.net>, Benjamin Gawert
    writes:
    > Michael Kraemer schrieb:
    >
    > > OK, a bit nitpicking first: these boxes are from 1990/91 :-)

    > Nope. As I said we got our 320/520 already 1990.

    now this is a step in the right direction (from 1989) :-)
    The first 320 I used in 1990. The 320H, which was my first
    personal workstation ever, arrived in 1991.

    > 1991 was the time the
    > 7011 (220, 230) appeared...

    I think this was yet later, around 1993
    (http://www.islandnet.com/~kpolsson/w...t/work1993.htm)

  5. Re: 712/60 won't boot

    "http://www.rootvg.net"
    2 years ago the links to the original announcement letters still were
    intact.

    But it doesn't matter. It's obsolete for years now

    --
    Uli

  6. Re: 712/60 won't boot

    Michael Kraemer schrieb:

    >>>OK, a bit nitpicking first: these boxes are from 1990/91 :-)

    >>Nope. As I said we got our 320/520 already 1990.

    > now this is a step in the right direction (from 1989) :-)

    Sorry, it's a typo. I mean 1989...

    >>1991 was the time the
    >>7011 (220, 230) appeared...

    > I think this was yet later, around 1993

    The PowerPC-based 7011-250 appeared 1993. The PowerSC-based 7011-220 and
    -230 were available 1991...

    Benjamin

  7. Re: 712/60 won't boot

    Michael Kraemer schrieb:

    >>Do You know if Alphas need a CDROM with byte mode jumper?

    > alphas are much less picky than their predecessors.

    Good to hear. I haven't had much Alphas, except an Alphaserver 1000A,
    and Alphastation 255 and a huge AS 8400 ;-) But all of them are machines
    that can use both AlphaBIOS and SRM, so I used them with WindowsNT/AXP...

    > If it's the DEC3000 we both know

    Exactly ;-)

    > I think it has a builtin drive,

    ok..

    > can't remember right now if it's a caddy system or not
    > (currently out of sight). But I'd expect an external Plextor to work as well.

    Ok, So chances should be good it will work with other drives as well? I
    have a bunch of HP Slot-In SCSI DVDROM drives (Pioneer OEM devices), and
    I'd like to use one of them, especially since the front plate color is
    about the same as the DEC drives from that vintage are. I already digged
    out my Tru64 5.1A... ;-)

    Benjamin

  8. Re: 712/60 won't boot

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > CBee schrieb:
    >
    >> Carefull open the disk

    > Better not! If You don't have a clean-room environment at home don't
    > open a hard disk. The dust particles that are in the air are like
    > throwing rocks on a record player...

    You are rigth for disks that do work. In this case I was talking about disks
    that where not working at all. Then the alternatives are between dumping the
    disk or 'kickstart' the platters.

    >> and give the disk a little spin (about 1/10th of a round will do, just
    >> to break the 'seal' in the hardened grease.) You will notice you need
    >> some wrench to do so.

    > Better leave the disk closed and move it by hand by applying aprupt
    > turnings...

    That did not help with my disks. You are right, if you can get the disk going
    with this it better than opening them.

    CBee

  9. Re: 712/60 won't boot

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > Michael Kraemer schrieb:
    >
    >> Most non-PC OSs prefer 512 bytes.

    > Nope. 512byte Mode is usually only needed by really old computers, i.e.
    > SGI 4D series and HP9000/300 series. The HP 700 series incl. the 712
    > doesn't need a CDROM that is forced to 512byte mode because the firmware
    > handles 2048byte devices easily...

    My experiences are that 9000/712's must be switched if a boot from cdrom was
    needed. In normal use, it can handle both blocksizes. I have to admit the where
    not running the latest firmware.

    > Same is btw valid for other platforms (newer SGIs, all RS/6000s, newer
    > Suns). None of them need a CDROM that can be forced to 512byte Mode..
    >
    > Benjamin

  10. Re: 712/60 won't boot

    I once used a Macintosh (SCSI) external CD drive for an OS upgrade on these
    boxes. They worked just fine.
    "Michael Kraemer" wrote in message
    > > There is nothing sacred about this box. With a little cutting, I could
    > > mount a CD drive internally, but is it possible to connect it internally
    > > seeing that it does not have a floppy drive? I presume the CD must be a
    > > SCSI device? Is HP-UX s/w available at no charge for this box, as it
    > > did have UX originally?

    > For my 712 I chose not to touch the machine. Almost any external SCSI
    > CD-ROM will do. And once the system is loaded you wont need it very
    > often. If you plan to enter the "retro business" you will need an
    > external drive anyway, since many vintage machines come w/o CD-ROM.
    > In this case a Plextor wouldn't be too bad since it is compatible
    > with some DEC OSs.
    > HP-UX media are sometimes seen on eBay. Leaving legal issues aside,
    > technically you can build a fully usable system with them
    > (as opposed e.g. to the crippled DEC stuff).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2