HP-UX media. - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX media. - HP UX ; I am tempted to buy a PA-RISC machine I don't need but... I wonder if I have a problem with the machine which is best resolved by reinstalling the O/S (eg drive is toast) from some from of media and ...

  1. HP-UX media.

    I am tempted to buy a PA-RISC machine I don't need but... I wonder if I
    have a problem with the machine which is best resolved by reinstalling
    the O/S (eg drive is toast) from some from of media and it doesn't come
    included, where could I get my hands on it?

    I say this because I have a > 5 yr old IDE drive failing in another
    UNIX box and I have go to hunting for not only the OS media but the 101
    patches that has been applied... and the kernel parameters...

    Not advocating anything but I can download Solaris for SPARC, Linux
    (even the PA-RISC version) and burn ISOs and away we go...BUT ... I
    couldn't find nada on the HP site. Maybe I wan't looking in the right
    places.. Maybe boot of the net (through a router no less) and install
    from there...? The challenges that would involve...? And what about
    licensing? Can I get a license for educational/devloper/home use ...?

    I haven't had a lot of experience in HP-UX and I am curious and I just
    don't have enough servers in the house to keep me warm in the winter.
    ;-)

  2. Re: HP-UX media.

    On 9 Oct 2005 20:37:06 -0700, spam.sink@volcanomail.com wrote:

    >I am tempted to buy a PA-RISC machine I don't need but... I wonder if I
    >have a problem with the machine which is best resolved by reinstalling
    >the O/S (eg drive is toast) from some from of media and it doesn't come
    >included, where could I get my hands on it?
    >
    >I say this because I have a > 5 yr old IDE drive failing in another
    >UNIX box and I have go to hunting for not only the OS media but the 101
    >patches that has been applied... and the kernel parameters...
    >
    >Not advocating anything but I can download Solaris for SPARC, Linux
    >(even the PA-RISC version) and burn ISOs and away we go...BUT ... I
    >couldn't find nada on the HP site. Maybe I wan't looking in the right
    >places.. Maybe boot of the net (through a router no less) and install
    >from there...? The challenges that would involve...? And what about
    >licensing? Can I get a license for educational/devloper/home use ...?
    >
    >I haven't had a lot of experience in HP-UX and I am curious and I just
    >don't have enough servers in the house to keep me warm in the winter.
    >;-)

    Part of the Ignite-UX (freely downloadable software) functionality is
    to create HP-UX recovery images - either on tape with
    make_tape_recovery, or across the network with make_net_recovery.

    With the help of a configured "boot helper" the network recovery may
    occur across subnets.

    Look for the Ignite-UX Administration Guide, available online in PDF
    or HTML format.

    Start at http://software.hp.com and search on ignite.

    Eric Stahl

  3. Re: HP-UX media.

    spam.sink@volcanomail.com schrieb:

    > I am tempted to buy a PA-RISC machine

    What PA-RISC machine?

    > I don't need but... I wonder if I
    > have a problem with the machine which is best resolved by reinstalling
    > the O/S (eg drive is toast) from some from of media and it doesn't come
    > included, where could I get my hands on it?
    >
    > I say this because I have a > 5 yr old IDE drive failing in another
    > UNIX box

    Sun Ultra5/10? ;-)

    > and I have go to hunting for not only the OS media but the 101
    > patches that has been applied... and the kernel parameters...
    >
    > Not advocating anything but I can download Solaris for SPARC, Linux
    > (even the PA-RISC version)

    Which PA-RISC version? There isn't a PA-RISC version of Solaris, and
    certainly none that's downloadable...

    > and burn ISOs and away we go...BUT ... I
    > couldn't find nada on the HP site.

    Sure, because HP-UX is payware...

    > Maybe I wan't looking in the right
    > places.. Maybe boot of the net (through a router no less) and install
    > from there...? The challenges that would involve...? And what about
    > licensing? Can I get a license for educational/devloper/home use ...?

    Simple:

    If you have a Series 700 (workstation): the machine has the license. If
    you have the system you also have the license for the version the
    machine has been licensed for...

    If you have a Server (Series 800): the license is bound to the machine
    _and_ the owner. License can be transferred but needs approval from HP...

    But then, HP certainly doesn't care what HP-UX you run on your system at
    home...

    Benjamin

  4. Re: HP-UX media.

    spam.sink@volcanomail.com wrote:

    > I am tempted to buy a PA-RISC machine I don't need but... I wonder if I
    > have a problem with the machine which is best resolved by reinstalling
    > the O/S (eg drive is toast) from some from of media and it doesn't come
    > included, where could I get my hands on it?
    >
    > I say this because I have a > 5 yr old IDE drive failing in another
    > UNIX box and I have go to hunting for not only the OS media but the 101
    > patches that has been applied... and the kernel parameters...
    >
    > Not advocating anything but I can download Solaris for SPARC, Linux
    > (even the PA-RISC version) and burn ISOs and away we go...BUT ... I
    > couldn't find nada on the HP site. Maybe I wan't looking in the right
    > places.. Maybe boot of the net (through a router no less) and install
    > from there...? The challenges that would involve...? And what about
    > licensing? Can I get a license for educational/devloper/home use ...?
    >
    > I haven't had a lot of experience in HP-UX and I am curious and I just
    > don't have enough servers in the house to keep me warm in the winter.
    > ;-)

    You could try linux (debian and gentoo provide pa-risc distro's). See
    http://www.openpa.net/ for other pa-risk os-es.

    CBee

+ Reply to Thread