LVM mirroring - HP UX

This is a discussion on LVM mirroring - HP UX ; I am trying to mirror a disk on an old C200 visualize workstation. I have an internal boot disk and an external FWSCSI drive. When I use the command lvm -m 1 /dev/dsk/....... I get an error saying -m is ...

  1. LVM mirroring

    I am trying to mirror a disk on an old C200 visualize workstation. I
    have an internal boot disk and an external FWSCSI drive. When I use the
    command

    lvm -m 1 /dev/dsk/.......

    I get an error saying -m is an invalid option. Why so?

  2. Re: LVM mirroring

    On 8 Oct 2005 06:57:49 -0700, "rakesh" wrote:

    >I am trying to mirror a disk on an old C200 visualize workstation. I
    >have an internal boot disk and an external FWSCSI drive. When I use the
    >command
    >
    >lvm -m 1 /dev/dsk/.......
    >
    >I get an error saying -m is an invalid option. Why so?

    First, you need MirrorDisk/UX installed, do an swlist to see if it is.

    Both the internal disk and external disk need to be part of the same
    volume group. Do an vgextend to add the new disk to the existing VG.

    Mirrorring is done on a logical volume basis, so you will need to do an
    lvextend -m 1 ... for each lv you want mirrorred. For example, if you
    want to mirror your boot volume (vg00), the new disk is /dev/dsk/c1t1d0,
    and you have more than just '/' and swap, then you would

    pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0
    vgextend vg00 /dev/dsk/c1t1d0
    mkboot -l /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0
    mkboot -a "hpux -lq (;0)/stand/vmunix" /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0
    lvextend /dev/vg00/lvol1 /dev/dsk/c1t1d0
    lvextend /dev/vg00/lvol2 /dev/dsk/c1t1d0
    lvextend /dev/vg00/lvol3 /dev/dsk/c1t1d0
    lvextend /dev/vg00/lvol4 /dev/dsk/c1t1d0
    lvextend /dev/vg00/lvol5 /dev/dsk/c1t1d0
    lvextend /dev/vg00/lvol6 /dev/dsk/c1t1d0
    lvextend /dev/vg00/lvol7 /dev/dsk/c1t1d0
    lvextend /dev/vg00/lvol8 /dev/dsk/c1t1d0
    lvlnboot -v

    The pvcreate puts a 'signature' on the new disk. The vgextend adds the
    physical volume to the root volume group. The first mkboot puts the
    boot utilities in the boot area of the new disk. The second mkboot puts
    an 'auto' file in the boot LIF area, telling it to boot HP-UX but ignore
    quorum requirements - the assumption being that if you boot the mirror
    the primary is offline/corrupted/dead. The lvextend commands mirror the
    individual logical volumes on the second disk. You will need to use
    whatever names you used when you created vg00. A

    vgdisplay -v vg00 | grep 'LV Name'

    will give you a complete list of the logical volumes.

+ Reply to Thread