national characters in hostname or file name - HP UX

This is a discussion on national characters in hostname or file name - HP UX ; Hello All, We have an application developed and run on HP-UX11i RISC and Itanium. Our application should read computer names and file names and it uses a lot of networking and file manipulation methods, such as gethostname(), open()/read()/write(). So far, ...

  1. national characters in hostname or file name

    Hello All,

    We have an application developed and run on HP-UX11i RISC and Itanium.

    Our application should read computer names and file names and it uses
    a lot of networking and file manipulation methods, such as
    gethostname(), open()/read()/write().

    So far, our application has been non-UNICODE and our clients around the
    world were required to use English with our program.
    Now we want to be more user-friendly and we want our program to "speak"
    other languages. In other words, we want it to be UNICODE-compatible.

    Are hostnames containing national symbols allowed? Can a file name
    contain national symbols?
    For example, can our HP-UX clients in Italy or Germany have a computer
    name that contains national characters? Can our Russian clients have
    files containing Russian national characters in a file name? We are not
    talking about transliteration, but we want to accomodate a real life
    situation. Please notice we are not going to give our comupters or
    files UNICODE names, but we are wondering if HP-UX allows such naming
    and if other people can potentially have national characters in named
    system resources, such as hostname and file name.

    Thank you,
    Alona

  2. Re: national characters in hostname or file name

    allab@sympatico.ca wrote:
    > Are hostnames containing national symbols allowed?

    The last I checked, hostnames (at least those in DNS) must be
    composed from the standard 7-bit letters (upper and lower case
    equivalent), digits, and dash, beginning and ending with a letter
    or digit.

    See RFC 1123, which references RFC 952 and the DNS specification
    in RFCs 1034 and 1035. There is a discussion in RFC 2181 (updated
    by RFC 2535 and maybe something else by now).

    -Tom

  3. Re: national characters in hostname or file name

    · Tom Smith :

    > The last I checked, hostnames (at least those in DNS) must be
    > composed from the standard 7-bit letters (upper and lower case
    > equivalent), digits, and dash, beginning and ending with a letter
    > or digit.

    Well, depends on how strictly DNS your talking. It's
    *very* much possible to use 8bit characters like ö
    and such in "DNS" - cf. IDN, eg. http://blö.de/. You're
    right in so far, as that "blö.de" is in some DNS
    implentations not stored in the the server - rather,
    the ACE encoded form of xn--bl-gka.de might be stored.
    But that's highly implementation dependent.

    Alexander Skwar

+ Reply to Thread