Autoraid 12H LUN identification - HP UX

This is a discussion on Autoraid 12H LUN identification - HP UX ; I think this is a simple question but I can't figure it out and I have been on the phone with HP Technical Support for over an hour with no luck so I thought I post here. I have two ...

  1. Autoraid 12H LUN identification

    I think this is a simple question but I can't figure it out and I have
    been on the phone with HP Technical Support for over an hour with no
    luck so I thought I post here.

    I have two model 12H Autoraids. Each of the arrays has only 2 LUN's
    configured. LUN 0 on each array is the recommended 10 megabyte
    administrative LUN. LUN 1 on each array is a 36 gigabyte LUN used for
    data storage and is assigned to a Volume Group named vgexe. When I
    execute a "vgdisplay -v vgexe" command I see two disks assigned to the
    Volume Group, along with the alternate path for each.

    How do I determine which disk is assigned to each array? If I execute
    an ioscan I can retrieve the hardware path and /dev/dsk number and if I
    execute arraydsp -a the SCSI path is not displayed. Therefore I do not
    know how to associate a hardware path with an array serial number. Any
    help would be GREATLY appreciated.

  2. Re: Autoraid 12H LUN identification

    On 28 Sep 2005 07:20:58 -0700, "Adman" wrote:

    >How do I determine which disk is assigned to each array? If I execute
    >an ioscan I can retrieve the hardware path and /dev/dsk number and if I
    >execute arraydsp -a the SCSI path is not displayed. Therefore I do not
    >know how to associate a hardware path with an array serial number. Any
    >help would be GREATLY appreciated.

    You can use the arraylog command. By displaying the event log by disk
    path you can match it up to displaying it by S/N.

    # arraydsp -i
    Arrays known to the ARMServer:
    Array with S/N: 000000057646 Alias: HELLO
    # ioscan -funC disk
    Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
    disk 0 8/4.1.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP C5447A
    /dev/dsk/c0t1d0 /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0
    :
    :

    # arraylog -e /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0

    Controller X Vendor ID = HP
    Controller X Product ID = C5447A
    Controller X Firmware = 6D07200118
    Controller X Serial Number = R78AAD9440571111

    Primary Controller = Y
    Controller Y Vendor ID = HP
    Controller Y Product ID = C5447A
    Controller Y Firmware = 6D07200118
    Controller Y Serial Number = R78AAD9439501111
    No Events in Log

    # arraydsp -i
    Arrays known to the ARMServer:
    Array with S/N: 000000057646

    # arraylog -e 000000057646

    Controller X Vendor ID = HP
    Controller X Product ID = C5447A
    Controller X Firmware = 6D07200118
    Controller X Serial Number = R78AAD9440571111

    Primary Controller = Y
    Controller Y Vendor ID = HP
    Controller Y Product ID = C5447A
    Controller Y Firmware = 6D07200118
    Controller Y Serial Number = R78AAD9439501111
    No Events in Log

    -----------------------------------

    Cute trick to find physical array:

    # arraydsp -i
    Arrays known to the ARMServer:
    Array with S/N: 000000057646
    # arraymgr -D HELLO 000000057646
    Set Alias Name to HELLO

    Now go to the arrays. The 2nd line of the LCD display on Array
    000000057676 will say HELLO.

    Robert Klute
    Cupertino Solution Center
    Hewlett-Packard Company
    -----
    The opinions are those of the poster, not the company.

  3. Re: Autoraid 12H LUN identification

    Robert,

    THANK YOU!! I spent 2.5 hours speaking with all different levels of HP
    Support with the conclusion the only way to know what you just
    demonstrated was to have someone trace the cables from the back of the
    server to each array.

    Unfortunately the servers are in Michigan and I'm in Texas. I was
    about to flip a coin to try and determine. You have saved me
    potentially hours of work rebuilding the wrong array.

    Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread