TAR: tape blocksize error - HP UX

This is a discussion on TAR: tape blocksize error - HP UX ; Hi All, When I want to list the content of a tape, it give me a block size error,like this: tar tvf /dev/rmt/0m Tar: tape blocksize error Any idea how to list the content of the tape? Thanks...

  1. TAR: tape blocksize error

    Hi All,

    When I want to list the content of a tape, it give me a block size
    error,like this:

    tar tvf /dev/rmt/0m
    Tar: tape blocksize error

    Any idea how to list the content of the tape?

    Thanks

  2. Re: tape blocksize error

    Did you write the tape ? Could have been written in another blocksize by
    someone else. Also, is the tape compatible with the drive, e.g. is it a
    DDS4 tape in a DDS3 drive. The drives read older tapes, but not the
    otherway. A DDS4 drive will write/read a DDS4 and lower tape. Conversely a
    DDS3 drive cannot do anything with a DDS4 tape. That might show as a block
    size error.
    "CC" wrote in message
    news:1127915401.591862.323960@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > When I want to list the content of a tape, it give me a block size
    > error,like this:
    >
    > tar tvf /dev/rmt/0m
    > Tar: tape blocksize error
    >
    > Any idea how to list the content of the tape?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: TAR: tape blocksize error

    [Late response due to extended absence.]

    On September 28, CC wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > When I want to list the content of a tape, it give me a block size
    > error,like this:
    >
    > tar tvf /dev/rmt/0m
    > Tar: tape blocksize error
    >
    > Any idea how to list the content of the tape?
    >
    > Thanks

    Please let us know if you still need help with this. If so, *when* do
    you get this error, directly or at the end? Does tar do *anything* or
    does it just give this error? Is this a tape written on HP-UX or on
    another platform? If the latter, on which?

  4. Re: tape blocksize error

    "Steve" wrote:

    >Did you write the tape ? Could have been written in another blocksize by
    >someone else. Also, is the tape compatible with the drive, e.g. is it a
    >DDS4 tape in a DDS3 drive. The drives read older tapes, but not the
    >otherway. A DDS4 drive will write/read a DDS4 and lower tape. Conversely a
    >DDS3 drive cannot do anything with a DDS4 tape. That might show as a block
    >size error.
    >"CC" wrote in message
    >news:1127915401.591862.323960@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> When I want to list the content of a tape, it give me a block size
    >> error,like this:
    >>
    >> tar tvf /dev/rmt/0m
    >> Tar: tape blocksize error
    >>
    >> Any idea how to list the content of the tape?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Generally if you try to put a DDS4 tape ina DDS3 drive it will eject
    it almost immediately.

    You could try dd to dump out the first few blocks. Should give you an
    idea of the block size, then specify this block size to tar.

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |