C3600 is beeping - HP UX

This is a discussion on C3600 is beeping - HP UX ; Hello! I've got a C3600 machine, which is constantly beeping. About every 30 to 45 seconds, it is (most of the time) beeping 4 times in a rather short period of time. Sometimes, it's only beeping once (as quickly as ...

  1. C3600 is beeping

    Hello!

    I've got a C3600 machine, which is constantly beeping. About every 30
    to 45 seconds, it is (most of the time) beeping 4 times in a rather
    short period of time. Sometimes, it's only beeping once (as quickly as
    those 4 beeps).

    The machine has no keyboard and mouse attached.

    In the display, "Run F01F:", "Run F11F:" and "Run F21F:" is
    displayed (it's switching between those 3 numbers). On the
    lower line of led, a harddisk led is flashing, a heart is flashing
    (filled out and empty) and (I guess) two "icons" for Net I/O in- and
    outbound are flashing. The machine is working fine, otherwise.

    What's those beeping supposed to mean? How do I turn it off?

    Thanks a lot,

    Alexander Skwar
    --
    Virtue does not always demand a heavy sacrifice -- only the willingness
    to make it when necessary.

  2. Re: C3600 is beeping

    I believe it is because CDE desktop is trying to find a display for
    dtlogin. We have a room full of headless workstations and turn off the
    beep with:

    /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc stop_msg
    /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc stop
    ch_rc -a -pDESKTOP=none /etc/rc.config.d/desktop

    We wrap the above commands in an SD configure script, put it in a depot
    and then
    it is swinstalled. That way it can be included in automated processes
    that are using swinstall.

    PSF:
    #&##
    #&## PSF Generated by SPB 3/18/04 12:52 PM
    #&##
    product
    tag NoBeep
    title Turn off CDE beep
    description On workstations without a graphics top (like test
    machines) the
    dtlogin daemon beeps continually. This drives you to the brink if you
    are in the test area for more than a few minutes. So this product shuts
    down the daemon and modifies the rc config file to not start it again
    on reboot.
    revision A.1.00
    architecture HP-UX_B.11.00_32/64
    machine_type *
    os_name HP-UX
    os_release ?.11.*
    os_version *

    fileset
    tag RUN
    title kill the beep
    revision A.1.00
    architecture HP-UX_B.11.00_32/64
    machine_type *
    os_name HP-UX
    os_release ?.11.*
    os_version *

    control_file onlyControlFile.psf
    configure noBeep.sh

    end #&## fileset RUN
    end #&## product NoBeep

    CONFIGURE script:
    #!/usr/bin/sh
    ########
    # Product: NoBeep
    # configure
    ########

    #
    ################################################## ######################

    UTILS=/usr/lbin/sw/control_utils
    if [ -f $UTILS ]
    then
    . $UTILS
    else
    echo "ERROR: Cannot find $UTILS"
    exit 1
    fi
    exit_val=$SUCCESS

    /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc stop_msg
    /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc stop
    ch_rc -a -pDESKTOP=none /etc/rc.config.d/desktop
    exit ${exit_val}

+ Reply to Thread