tomcat 5 on HP-UX don't start at boot, but from command line - HP UX

This is a discussion on tomcat 5 on HP-UX don't start at boot, but from command line - HP UX ; I am on a HP-UX computer trying to get tomcat 5 running on port 8081 as user www. We can start it from a command line, but not get it to run when the computer boots. $ uname -a HP-UX ...

  1. tomcat 5 on HP-UX don't start at boot, but from command line

    I am on a HP-UX computer trying to get tomcat 5 running on port 8081 as
    user www.
    We can start it from a command line, but not get it to run when the
    computer boots.

    $ uname -a
    HP-UX **** B.11.11 U 9000/800
    $ /opt/java1.5/bin/java -version
    java version "1.5.0.01"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
    1.5.0.01-_06_jun_2005_05_20)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0.01 jinteg:06.06.05-04:39 PA2.0
    (aCC_AP), mixed mode)

    During boot the script /sbin/init.d/hpws_tomcat is run. It uses :
    su www -c "$HPWS_TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.sh 1>/dev/null 2>&1"
    And report Tomcat is Started. How ever, it is not.

    In order to test I added 2 programs to the hpws_tomcat script :
    1) A java program that writs a time stamp into a log file
    2) A small java "echo" server on port 4444

    The time-stamp program works fine. The Echo-server does not start.
    After boot, if I as root give the command
    /sbin/init.d/hpws_tomcat start
    Everything works just fine.

    So this problem seams to be connected to java networking at boot.

    Does any one have any ide about what could possibly be wrong?

    I am not the only one with this problem I guess, but I have not seen
    any
    solutions:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-u.../msg82008.html

  2. Re: tomcat 5 on HP-UX don't start at boot, but from command line

    Hi

    > During boot the script /sbin/init.d/hpws_tomcat is run. It uses :
    > su www -c "$HPWS_TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.sh 1>/dev/null 2>&1"

    Hmm, does the "su www -c..." read the environment of the www user?

    Florian

  3. Re: tomcat 5 on HP-UX don't start at boot, but from command line

    Is the boot time start of tomcat happening before or after all the
    networking startup?

    rick jones

  4. Re: tomcat 5 on HP-UX don't start at boot, but from command line

    Thanks for your sugestions.

    su -c preserves the environment for root. I have tested with both su -
    www - c and su www -c. All tomcat environment variables like JAVA_HOME;
    CATALINA_HOME etc are set corectly in catalina.sh, I have checked that
    by dumping env to a log file.

    I can't realy tell if network is up, I am not that muxh of a
    UNIX-admin, but apache starts fine as www-user just before tomcat. Also
    I can log in to the computer with ssh before tomcat is started. (boot
    takes long time and tomcat is started at the very end of boot).
    Therefor this seams to be a specific Java networking problem at boot
    time on HP-UX.

    // Mattias_at_freefarm_se@yahoo.com

  5. Re: tomcat 5 on HP-UX don't start at boot, but from command line

    "Mattias" wrote:

    >I am on a HP-UX computer trying to get tomcat 5 running on port 8081 as
    >user www.
    >We can start it from a command line, but not get it to run when the
    >computer boots.
    >
    >$ uname -a
    >HP-UX **** B.11.11 U 9000/800
    >$ /opt/java1.5/bin/java -version
    >java version "1.5.0.01"
    >Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
    >1.5.0.01-_06_jun_2005_05_20)
    >Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0.01 jinteg:06.06.05-04:39 PA2.0
    >(aCC_AP), mixed mode)
    >
    >During boot the script /sbin/init.d/hpws_tomcat is run. It uses :
    >su www -c "$HPWS_TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.sh 1>/dev/null 2>&1"
    >And report Tomcat is Started. How ever, it is not.
    >
    >In order to test I added 2 programs to the hpws_tomcat script :
    >1) A java program that writs a time stamp into a log file
    >2) A small java "echo" server on port 4444
    >
    >The time-stamp program works fine. The Echo-server does not start.
    >After boot, if I as root give the command
    >/sbin/init.d/hpws_tomcat start
    >Everything works just fine.
    >
    >So this problem seams to be connected to java networking at boot.
    >
    >Does any one have any ide about what could possibly be wrong?
    >
    >I am not the only one with this problem I guess, but I have not seen
    >any
    >solutions:
    >http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-u.../msg82008.html

    Mattias,

    You might need change the star up script from "su www" to "su - www"
    "su user" just switches to the new user, "su - user" switches to new
    user and runs new users profiles.

    Also had a similar issue some years ago with a different product.

    It would start at boot time, then some of the process would
    "disappear". Worked OK manually from the command line. We had to
    "nohup" the command in the startup script to stop these processes
    terminating when the rc process finished.

    Regards,

    Ted.

    | Ted Linnell |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  6. Re: tomcat 5 on HP-UX don't start at boot, but from command line

    Well, I tested with both su - www - c and su www -c. with the same
    result.

    What is nohup?

  7. Re: tomcat 5 on HP-UX don't start at boot, but from command line

    "Mattias" wrote:

    >Well, I tested with both su - www - c and su www -c. with the same
    >result.
    >
    >What is nohup?

    Normally if you start a process from your terminal session it will
    terminate when you logoff, even if is has been put into the
    background.
    nohup prevents this happening. The process should keep running.

    do "man nohup" for more details.

    Regards,

    Ted.

    | Ted Linnell |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  8. Re: tomcat 5 on HP-UX don't start at boot, but from command line

    Ted was right. The problem has now been solved.

    In catalina.sh we changed the beginning of the start command from:
    "$_RUNJAVA" $JAVA_OPTS $CATALINA_OPTS \

    to:
    exec $JAVA_WRAPPER $_RUNJAVA $JAVA_OPTS $CATALINA_OPTS \

    The $JAVA_WRAPPER variable is set it /sbin/init.d/hpws_tomcat:
    export JAVA_WRAPPER=nohup

    Simple as that!

    Thanks for all your help!

    // Mattias