A list of the installed software on a HP-UX system ? - HP UX

This is a discussion on A list of the installed software on a HP-UX system ? - HP UX ; Hello ! Is there a way to get a complete list of the installed software on a HP-UX system? I mean not only the info you get from swlist, but everything in the base system also (stuff like bash, grep ...

  1. A list of the installed software on a HP-UX system ?

    Hello !

    Is there a way to get a complete list of the installed software on a
    HP-UX system? I mean not only the info you get from swlist, but
    everything in the base system also (stuff like bash, grep etc.).

    Thanks!
    Bogdan Tudor

  2. Re: A list of the installed software on a HP-UX system ?

    As long as everything was installed using the sw tools (swinstall) then
    swlist will show you everything (swlist -l bundle and swlist -l
    product).

    If something was installed outside this system (like using the make
    install from compiled code) then they are outside the database held
    with the swtools and you almost have to know what to look for in order
    to know it was added.

  3. Re: A list of the installed software on a HP-UX system ?

    Bogdan Tudor wrote:

    > Is there a way to get a complete list of the installed software on a
    > HP-UX system? I mean not only the info you get from swlist, but
    > everything in the base system also (stuff like bash, grep etc.).

    How was that again? On all HP-UX systems (well, not the 9.x that didn't
    use sw*) all the base stuff _is_ in swlist. By definition, I'd say,
    unless the IPD is hosed.

    Then again, bash isn't in the base set anyway, being a GNU add-on.
    (It _might_ still be in the swlist, though.)

    (Try "swlist -l file OS-Core" ... there's grep, egrep and fgrep in there
    for an example.)

    And if you want to list stuff that's been installed without using
    swinstall, well, that depends on what you used to install ... if all
    else fails there's always "find /" ;-/

    --
    Mikko Nahkola
    #include

  4. Re: A list of the installed software on a HP-UX system ?

    Mikko Nahkola (mnahkola@trein.ntc.nokia.com) wrote:

    : Then again, bash isn't in the base set anyway, being a GNU add-on.
    : (It _might_ still be in the swlist, though.)

    depends. If it was installed via a sw depot, yes it will be listed. If
    on the other hand it was installed via tar or gzip, it will not be listed
    by swlist.

    --
    Jim Hollenback
    jholly@cup.hp.com

  5. Re: A list of the installed software on a HP-UX system ?

    In article , Jim Hollenback wrote:
    > Mikko Nahkola (mnahkola@trein.ntc.nokia.com) wrote:
    >
    >: Then again, bash isn't in the base set anyway, being a GNU add-on.
    >: (It _might_ still be in the swlist, though.)
    >
    > depends. If it was installed via a sw depot, yes it will be listed. If
    > on the other hand it was installed via tar or gzip, it will not be listed
    > by swlist.

    And I think there was a way to get rpm on HP-UX and then install bash
    with that ...

    Which was more or less my point - can't possibly know where it'd be
    listed, if anywhere.

    BTW, do rpm and friends cope with NFS-shared parts of the directory
    tree? I find swinstall's way of dealing with that rather good. "-x
    write_remote_files= ..."

    --
    Mikko Nahkola
    #include
    #Not speaking for my employer. No warranty. YMMV.

+ Reply to Thread