Porting og HPUX 11.11 PA-RISC to HPUX 11.23 U ia64 ( Itanium) - HP UX

This is a discussion on Porting og HPUX 11.11 PA-RISC to HPUX 11.23 U ia64 ( Itanium) - HP UX ; Hi all, I have a huge c++ (32 bit) application which runs on HPUX 11.11 PA-RISC architecture. Now I have got a project to port the same c++ code on HPUX on Itanium. Now I have few doubts 1) Will ...

  1. Porting og HPUX 11.11 PA-RISC to HPUX 11.23 U ia64 ( Itanium)

    Hi all,
    I have a huge c++ (32 bit) application which runs on HPUX 11.11 PA-RISC
    architecture. Now I have got a project to port the same c++ code on
    HPUX on Itanium. Now I have few doubts
    1) Will the HPUX PA-RISC libraries and ececutables will run in HPUX
    Itanium environment. If yes, Do I have to use any emalutor to run.
    Please advice.
    If No, the does recompiling the whole c++ source code on HPUX Itanium
    is the only way and safe way.
    I use many third party c++ libraries, do I have to rebuild them all on
    Itanium.

    2) Do I need to make any changes in my Makefiles as far as compiler
    flags are concerenrd. I woulkd be using aCC in HPUX Itanium
    The aCC version on PA-RISC is aCC: HP ANSI C++ B3910B A.03.50, where as
    teh aCC version on Itanium is aCC: HP aC++/ANSI C B3910B A.05.52 [Jan
    16 2004].

    I would be greatful, if some one in details shares HP Itanium c++
    porting experience.

  2. Re: Porting og HPUX 11.11 PA-RISC to HPUX 11.23 U ia64 ( Itanium)

    abybaby wrote:

    > 1) Will the HPUX PA-RISC libraries and ececutables will run in HPUX
    > Itanium environment. If yes, Do I have to use any emalutor to run.
    > Please advice.

    PA-RISC executables+libraries will run on Itanium without any change
    , HPUX would use Aries emulator (AFAIK, no configuration is required).

    > If No, the does recompiling the whole c++ source code on HPUX Itanium
    > is the only way and safe way.

    If you want performance and want to support your application, recompiling
    is the best way.

    > I use many third party c++ libraries, do I have to rebuild them all on
    > Itanium.

    If you are compiling your application for Itanium, then you have
    to recompile 3rd party libraries too - Itanium executables can not
    use PA-RISC libraries.

    > 2) Do I need to make any changes in my Makefiles as far as compiler
    > flags are concerenrd. I woulkd be using aCC in HPUX Itanium
    > The aCC version on PA-RISC is aCC: HP ANSI C++ B3910B A.03.50, where as
    > teh aCC version on Itanium is aCC: HP aC++/ANSI C B3910B A.05.52 [Jan
    > 16 2004].

    There are some changes in Itanium and PA-RISC aCC. But aCC compiler
    gives you hints on what is wrong if you use a wrong option or a
    PA-RISC option on IA aCC.

    You have to buy aCC. Following link gives some information on the
    product.

    http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swd...Number=B3913DB

    HTH.
    --vishwas

  3. Re: Porting og HPUX 11.11 PA-RISC to HPUX 11.23 U ia64 ( Itanium)

    >> If No, the does recompiling the whole c++ source code on HPUX
    >> Itanium is the only way and safe way.

    > If you want performance and want to support your application,
    > recompiling is the best way.

    Depending on the original system running 11.11, and the Itanium system
    running 11.23, the performance of the emulated PA-RISC binaries on the
    Itanium system may still be faster than the original 11.11 system.

    Peak performance though would indeed come from recompiling to native IPF.

    Even if you do go with the Aries emulator for the near-term, it would
    be best to at least start getting things recompiled for Itanium.

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?

  4. Re: Porting og HPUX 11.11 PA-RISC to HPUX 11.23 U ia64 ( Itanium)

    : 2) Do I need to make any changes in my Makefiles as far as compiler
    : flags are concerned.

    Yes, specifically the +DA and +DS options.

    : the aCC version on Itanium is aCC: HP aC++/ANSI C B3910B A.05.52 [Jan
    : 16 2004].

    The latest patch is A.06.02, this is the newer aCC6.
    http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/...3,1743,00.html

+ Reply to Thread