CDE login screen not showing - HP UX

This is a discussion on CDE login screen not showing - HP UX ; the CDE login screen is not showing on my HPUX box (11.23 version) I've checked - /etc/rc.log - $HOME/.dt/ -- no errorlog I did dr_dt and fixed most of the warnings but it is still stuck on the command line. ...

  1. CDE login screen not showing

    the CDE login screen is not showing on my HPUX box (11.23 version)
    I've checked
    - /etc/rc.log
    - $HOME/.dt/ -- no errorlog
    I did dr_dt and fixed most of the warnings but it is still stuck on the
    command line.
    Any help/suggestion is appreciated.

  2. Re: CDE login screen not showing

    dodkalm wrote:
    > the CDE login screen is not showing on my HPUX box (11.23 version)
    > I've checked
    > - /etc/rc.log
    > - $HOME/.dt/ -- no errorlog
    > I did dr_dt and fixed most of the warnings but it is still stuck on the
    > command line.
    > Any help/suggestion is appreciated.

    FAQ, /sbin/rc3.d/[sS]990dtlogin.rc ?

  3. Re: CDE login screen not showing

    > the CDE login screen is not showing on my HPUX box (11.23 version)
    > I've checked
    > - /etc/rc.log
    > - $HOME/.dt/ -- no errorlog
    > I did dr_dt and fixed most of the warnings but it is still stuck on the
    > command line.

    Is the mouse properly connected? No mouse = no X11!

    Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

  4. Re: CDE login screen not showing

    Hi dodkalm

    > the CDE login screen is not showing on my HPUX box (11.23 version)

    What do you see instead of? Nothing? Repeating CDE-startmessage on text
    console? Console login?

    if console login -> enable dtlogin (see FAQ)

    if nothing or repeating startmessage -> check /var/dt/Xerrors (last entries)

    Florian

  5. Re: CDE login screen not showing

    Alan, the S990dtlogin.rc was started -- checked the rc.log and found no
    output message

    John, mouse is connected ok. I ran the xinit /usr/dt/bin/Xsession
    (after logging in @ the command line login) and it logs me into CDE
    alright -- so I'm not sure what went wrong.

    Florian, the login is just stuck on the command line login (prompting
    to enter username) -- usually the CDE will start right away but I don't
    see the GUI login screen at all.

    Also, I don't know if this makes any sense but after logging in it
    shows "TERM is set to "dumb" " instead of xterm..... any idea why?

  6. Re: CDE login screen not showing

    Hi

    > Florian, the login is just stuck on the command line login (prompting
    > to enter username) -- usually the CDE will start right away but I don't
    > see the GUI login screen at all.

    ok, CDE is not configured to run automatically.

    - login as root
    - execute
    # /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -e
    - logout

    Now the system should start the CDE-login

    Florian

  7. Re: CDE login screen not showing

    Florian,
    I did try that command and the system did respond with auto-start
    enabled message, but nothing shows up. It's still showing the
    command-line login and not displaying the CDE login screen. Any ideas?

  8. Re: CDE login screen not showing

    Hi dodkalm

    > I did try that command and the system did respond with auto-start
    > enabled message, but nothing shows up.

    Ok, then you should have look at the /var/dt/Xerrors file.

    If there is still nothing, login on commandline and try starting X
    manually.
    /usr/bin/X11/X :0
    This should create a grey screen, with a cross like cursor. You can stop
    the X-Server with CTRL-Break.

    If this works, check
    /etc/dt/config/Xservers
    If it does not exist:
    copy from /usr/dt/config to /etc/dt/config

    check whether the last line is:
    * Local local@console /usr/bin/X11/X :0

    then do
    /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -kill
    /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -e
    /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -reset

    log off, and check whether the login comes up.

    And never forget to check always /var/dt/Xerrors. This is the place
    where the truth is spoken about X-problems (ok not always, but most
    times ;-))

    BTW: 90 percent of X-problems are problems of not working name
    resolution on the hostname given in the display variable. The name
    resolution must work for ip->name AND for name->ip and MUST return the
    same name (as first) never set the IP variable to an alias (shouldn't be
    a problem for the basic star, but for other stuff)! There is only one IP
    for the name allowed!

    Florian

  9. Re: CDE login screen not showing

    gosh, im getting really frustrated now. First of all, thank you for
    your help Florian,.... I did every step you suggested. There was no
    error in /var/dt/Xerrors (in fact, the file is blank) and the
    /etc/dt/config/Xservers does have the local@console line. The login is
    still not showing up. I also checked the hosts file again and I don't
    see a problem. I'm at my wit's end now.... at the moment the workaround
    I have is logging on the command line and entering :
    xinit /usr/dt/bin/Xsession

    this was the only way I could get the CDE to show. If i can get it to
    load, then the Xserver shouldn't have a problem right? Why would it not
    show at the console? I would really appreciate any suggestions from
    you.
    Thank you again.

  10. Re: CDE login screen not showing

    dodkalm wrote:
    > gosh, im getting really frustrated now. First of all, thank you for
    > your help Florian,.... I did every step you suggested. There was no
    > error in /var/dt/Xerrors (in fact, the file is blank) and the
    > /etc/dt/config/Xservers does have the local@console line.

    You should double-check /usr/dt/config/Xservers .
    It should have an uncommented line that looks like-

    * Local local@console /usr/bin/X11/X :0

    Booting once without a working graphics card can cause that line to
    be commented out with a leading # character. That would prevent dtlogin
    from starting the X server on later reboots. A commented out line
    doesn't look very different. But it acts very different.

    --
    Mike Stroyan, mike.stroyan@hp.com

  11. Re: CDE login screen not showing

    Hi

    > show at the console? I would really appreciate any suggestions from
    > you.

    I will write you a private mail, because exchanging full logfiles is
    nothing that should happen via the newsgroup. I will report the results
    to the group later.

    Florian

  12. Re: CDE login screen not showing

    Hi dodkalm,

    I did not get any response from you. Did you receive my email?

    if not, please send me the following files:

    /etc/rc.log
    /etc/rc.log.old
    /etc/inittab
    /etc/dt/config/Xservers
    /etc/dt/config/Xconfig
    /var/dt/Xerrors
    /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log (everything since the last reboot)
    The output of the command "dmesg" (you must be root to execute it)
    The output of the command "who -r"

    send the files to

    fanwander (at) mnet (minus) online (dot) de

    Florian

    Florian Anwander wrote:

    > Hi
    >

    >> show at the console? I would really appreciate any suggestions from
    >> you.

    > I will write you a private mail, because exchanging full logfiles is
    > nothing that should happen via the newsgroup. I will report the results
    > to the group later.
    >
    > Florian

  13. Re: CDE login screen not showing

    hello,
    i had the same problem in our HP server rx2660 HPUX 11,23i,
    with your help i finished to solve the problem, the Xservers file in the /etc/dt/config directory has the last line: * Local local@console /usr/bin/X11/X :0 commented with # while in the Xservers file in /usr/dt/config directory the last line wasn't commented, so i modified the first file to uncommente it, and the cde commes automatically.

+ Reply to Thread