can't open display - HP UX

This is a discussion on can't open display - HP UX ; Hi all, We have hp-ux servers that we run our simulation software on. We use our dual boot (winxp and linux) machines to remotely connect to our servers. Remote login does work with winxp and exceed but when we do ...

  1. can't open display

    Hi all,

    We have hp-ux servers that we run our simulation software on. We use
    our dual boot (winxp and linux) machines to remotely connect to our
    servers. Remote login does work with winxp and exceed but when we do
    all the stuff (xhost +, setenv display blah blah) after telnetting to
    the servers with linux, we get the error message saying it can't open
    display.

    the commands we are running are:
    xhost +
    telnet (or rlogin) server
    setenv DISPLAY local:0.0 (tried 0 also)

    Exceed uses rlogin to connect to machines as well. I do not think that
    is a problem with the linux workstations since i tried it with mac osx
    x11 and recieved the same error. i use the same mac osx to connect to
    other servers no problem.

    unfortunately we do not have ssh installed on hpux.

    what surprises us is that exceed and xmanager can achieve remote
    connection, but we can not using all the possible commands. May be we
    are missing something here. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: can't open display

    addition: i used to use my mac osx with other servers with ssh, though.
    is this related to me trying to use telnet instead?

  3. Re: can't open display

    fatihkocer@gmail.com writes:

    > We have hp-ux servers that we run our simulation software on. We use
    > our dual boot (winxp and linux) machines to remotely connect to our
    > servers. Remote login does work with winxp and exceed but when we do
    > all the stuff (xhost +, setenv display blah blah) after telnetting to
    > the servers with linux, we get the error message saying it can't open
    > display.
    >
    > the commands we are running are:
    > xhost +
    > telnet (or rlogin) server
    > setenv DISPLAY local:0.0 (tried 0 also)
    >
    > Exceed uses rlogin to connect to machines as well. I do not think that
    > is a problem with the linux workstations since i tried it with mac osx
    > x11 and recieved the same error. i use the same mac osx to connect to
    > other servers no problem.

    Most modern Linux distributions are now configured secure by default:
    with the X Window System it usually means that the Xserver is started
    with a "-nolisten tcp" option. Only local X connections (which will
    automatically use a Unix socket in /tmp/.X11-unix instead of a TCP
    network socket) will succeed, unless you explicitly undo this security
    measure.

    > unfortunately we do not have ssh installed on hpux.

    The best way to fix this is to install one: go to software.hp.com,
    to "Security and Manageability" category. There are HP-packaged and
    -supported versions of OpenSSH for HP-UX 11.00 and above.

    If you're going to use SSH heavily on HP-UX and are using HP-UX 11i,
    you might want to also install the "strong random number generator"
    patch from the same software.hp.com category. It creates /dev/random
    and /dev/urandom (like on Linux) and SSH sets up connections noticeably
    quicker when it's installed.

    With SSH installed on HP-UX, you don't need to ever bother with "xhost
    +" nor "setenv DISPLAY anything". You just do a "ssh -X hpuxhost"
    and it will automagically handle those things for you.

    > what surprises us is that exceed and xmanager can achieve remote
    > connection, but we can not using all the possible commands. May be we
    > are missing something here. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

    If you want to make the "traditional" way of using X11 work with your
    Linux machines, you must remove the "-nolisten tcp" from the X server
    startup options. The way to do this depends on which component starts
    the X server in your configuration. If you are using xdm to handle
    graphical logins on Linux, the file to check is usually
    /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers. If you're using some other *dm, the file is
    probably different.

    --
    Matti.Kurkela@welho.com

  4. Re: can't open display

    fatihkocer@gmail.com writes:

    This is most likely wrong:

    > setenv DISPLAY local:0.0 (tried 0 also)

    DISPLAY should point to the machine on which your X server runs
    (the WinXP or Linux machine), and it is extremely unlikely that
    'local' is correct address for that machine.

    > Exceed uses rlogin to connect to machines as well.

    Setting "Command" entry in eXceed configuration to:

    /usr/bin/X11/xterm -display @D

    will make it open xterm on the proper display automatically.

    > May be we are missing something here.

    Yes, I think you are missing the basic understanding of the X
    client/server model: X server runs on your local machine, X clients
    connect to it from your "hp-ux server".

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

+ Reply to Thread