SCSI drive mounting - HP UX

This is a discussion on SCSI drive mounting - HP UX ; Hi, I want to add a SCSI drive to a machine. I am new to this, and I am not sure if it is safe to go through sam because sam tells me it wants to destroy the existing file ...

  1. SCSI drive mounting

    Hi,
    I want to add a SCSI drive to a machine. I am new to this, and I am not
    sure if it is safe to go through sam because sam tells me it wants to
    destroy the existing file system. There are files on the HDD (it is
    external) which I want to preserve. Right now, the disk mgr talls me
    the disk drive is unused.

    Any tips?
    Cheers!
    --
    Vig

  2. Re: SCSI drive mounting

    In article <1126894734.801095.203550@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >Hi,
    >I want to add a SCSI drive to a machine. I am new to this, and I am not
    >sure if it is safe to go through sam because sam tells me it wants to
    >destroy the existing file system. There are files on the HDD (it is
    >external) which I want to preserve. Right now, the disk mgr talls me
    >the disk drive is unused.

    Does the disc already have a *nix filesystem on it? In that case you can
    just mount it (see man mount.)

    Larry Headlund lmh@world.std.com Mathematical Engineering, Inc.
    (617) 242 7741
    Unix, X and Motif Consulting Speaking for myself at most.

  3. Re: SCSI drive mounting

    : wrote:
    : >Hi,
    : >I want to add a SCSI drive to a machine. I am new to this, and I am not
    : >sure if it is safe to go through sam because sam tells me it wants to
    : >destroy the existing file system. There are files on the HDD (it is
    : >external) which I want to preserve. Right now, the disk mgr talls me
    : >the disk drive is unused.

    : Does the disc already have a *nix filesystem on it? In that case you can
    : just mount it (see man mount.)

    If it is an LVM disk then you need to know which lvol you want to mount.

    --
    Jim Hollenback
    jholly@cup.hp.com

  4. Re: SCSI drive mounting

    Jim Hollenback wrote:
    > Larry M Headlund (lmh@TheWorld.com) wrote:
    > : In article <1126894734.801095.203550@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > : wrote:
    > : >Hi,
    > : >I want to add a SCSI drive to a machine. I am new to this, and I am not
    > : >sure if it is safe to go through sam because sam tells me it wants to
    > : >destroy the existing file system. There are files on the HDD (it is
    > : >external) which I want to preserve. Right now, the disk mgr talls me
    > : >the disk drive is unused.
    >
    > : Does the disc already have a *nix filesystem on it? In that case you can
    > : just mount it (see man mount.)
    >
    > If it is an LVM disk then you need to know which lvol you want to mount.

    IIRC, SAM has some kind of 'import' function which will (vg)import a
    LVM disk and allow to mount its file systems. IIRC, it's under "disks
    and filesystems" or some such heading.

+ Reply to Thread