Compiling a new kernel with different attributes - HP UX

This is a discussion on Compiling a new kernel with different attributes - HP UX ; When running mk_kernel, I get the following error messages: Generating module: tnsmbmx... Error: 0, file: /stand/build/mod_wk.d/tnsmbmx/lmod.o Fixup error: Relocation applied to a PA2.0 instruction som2elf : unknown reloc instruction (ERROR) *** Error exit code 7 Stop. config: make did an ...

  1. Compiling a new kernel with different attributes

    When running mk_kernel, I get the following error messages:

    Generating module: tnsmbmx...
    Error: 0, file: /stand/build/mod_wk.d/tnsmbmx/lmod.o Fixup error:
    Relocation applied to a PA2.0 instruction
    som2elf : unknown reloc instruction (ERROR)
    *** Error exit code 7

    Stop.
    config: make did an exit(1)

    This is on a 9000 server 800 series with HP-UX 11.0, with PA 1.0 RISC
    and only trying to change the MAXUSER from 32 to 64. Any help or
    places to start looking?

    Rob Mottishaw
    Idaho State University
    Programmer Analyst

  2. Re: Compiling a new kernel with different attributes

    mottrobe@gmail.com wrote:
    > This is on a 9000 server 800 series with HP-UX 11.0, with PA 1.0
    > RISC and only trying to change the MAXUSER from 32 to 64. Any help
    > or places to start looking?

    I would start with how you have a PA-RISC 1.0 system running 11.0 in
    the first place since HP-UX 10.10 was the last OS to "support" PA-RISC
    1.0 systems and I think 10.20 was the last OS that may have "worked"
    on a PA-RISC 1.0 system.

    Are you sure you don't have a PA 1.1 system instead?

    What does the model command report - 9000/800 is a bit on the vague
    side.

    The usual song and dance about being up on all the latest patches may
    apply.

    rick jones

  3. Re: Compiling a new kernel with different attributes

    : Error: 0, file: /stand/build/mod_wk.d/tnsmbmx/lmod.o Fixup error:
    : Relocation applied to a PA2.0 instruction
    : som2elf : unknown reloc instruction (ERROR)
    : Any help or places to start looking?
    : Rob Mottishaw

    What Rick said.
    Also, what does the following return?
    $ file /stand/build/mod_wk.d/tnsmbmx/lmod.o

  4. Re: Compiling a new kernel with different attributes

    Shame on me for not doing my homework and listening to someone else.
    Here's the output from uname:

    HP-UX *** B.11.00 U 9000/802

    And the processor is PA RISC 2.0. This system was conceived last May
    and has been patched with all the latest bundles and patches. Any
    suggestions on how to get the kernel to compile? Again the error was:

    Generating module: tnsmbmx...
    Error: 0, file: /stand/build/mod_wk.d/tnsmbmx/lmod.o Fixup error:
    Relocation applied to a PA2.0 instruction
    som2elf : unknown reloc instruction (ERROR)
    *** Error exit code 7

    Stop.
    config: make did an exit(1)

    Thanks,
    Rob

  5. Re: Compiling a new kernel with different attributes

    And the output of file /stand/build/mod_wk.d/tnsmbmx/lmod.o is
    /stand/build/mod_wk.d/tnsmbmx/lmod.o: PA-RISC2.0 relocatable object

  6. Re: Compiling a new kernel with different attributes

    : And the output of file /stand/build/mod_wk.d/tnsmbmx/lmod.o is
    : /stand/build/mod_wk.d/tnsmbmx/lmod.o: PA-RISC2.0 relocatable object

    It seems this is a PA2.0 32 bit object.
    And your kernel is only 32 bit?

    : Generating module: tnsmbmx...
    : Error: 0, file: /stand/build/mod_wk.d/tnsmbmx/lmod.o Fixup error:
    : Relocation applied to a PA2.0 instruction
    : som2elf : unknown reloc instruction (ERROR)

    Looking at som2elf, it seems that these PA2.0 instructions are not
    supported in 32 bit mode: ???

    /* PA2.0 instructions */
    case 0x14: /* LDD FLDD */
    case 0x1c: /* STD FSTD */
    case 0x16: /* FLDWM */
    case 0x17: /* LDWMC FLDW */
    case 0x1e: /* FSTWM */
    case 0x1f: /* FSTW STWMC */
    case 0x27: case 0x3b: case 0x2f: /* COMDT COMDIB COMBDF*/

    Where did the module tnsmbmx come from??

  7. Re: Compiling a new kernel with different attributes

    : Looking at som2elf, it seems that these PA2.0 instructions are not
    : supported in 32 bit mode: ???

    I'm not sure if this patch would help:
    PHCO_22899 s700_800 11.00 DLKM configuration tools cumulative patch

    You may have to contact the Response Center.

  8. Re: Compiling a new kernel with different attributes

    Very good question, where did tnsmbmx come from?

  9. Re: Compiling a new kernel with different attributes

    As far as I can tell, it's from TAS (TotalNet Advanced Server), an SMB
    server.

  10. Re: Compiling a new kernel with different attributes

    And now after wiping the system and re-installing, I'm continuing to
    receive the same errors. HP, watch out, here I come!

+ Reply to Thread