Does HPUX run on x86 processors - HP UX

This is a discussion on Does HPUX run on x86 processors - HP UX ; Does HPUX run on x86 processors? TIA -Praveen...

  1. Does HPUX run on x86 processors

    Does HPUX run on x86 processors?
    TIA
    -Praveen

  2. Re: Does HPUX run on x86 processors

    > Does HPUX run on x86 processors?

    No :-)

    Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

  3. Re: Does HPUX run on x86 processors

    > apraveen.ku...@gmail.com wrote:

    > Does HPUX run on x86 processors?

    Only if you consider IA-64 to be an x86 processor.
    Although it has emulation for IA-32, as far as I
    know, HP-UX on IA-64 does not use that feature.

    HP-UX runs on (or ran on):
    * MC 68000 (out of support)
    * HP Focus (Series 500, out of support)
    * HP PA-RISC
    * IA-64

    Although x86, in the current form of AMD64 and EM64T,
    is a strong platform, it strikes me as unlikely that HP-UX
    will be ported to it.

  4. Re: Does HPUX run on x86 processors

    rjn wrote:
    >>apraveen.ku...@gmail.com wrote:

    >>Does HPUX run on x86 processors?

    > Only if you consider IA-64 to be an x86 processor.
    > Although it has emulation for IA-32, as far as I
    > know, HP-UX on IA-64 does not use that feature.
    >
    > HP-UX runs on (or ran on):
    > * MC 68000 (out of support)
    > * HP Focus (Series 500, out of support)
    > * HP PA-RISC
    > * IA-64

    Has nobody written a PA-RISC emulator for x86 (preferably with adequate
    hardware support)?

    --
    Alex

  5. Re: Does HPUX run on x86 processors

    rjn wrote:
    > > apraveen.ku...@gmail.com wrote:

    > Although x86, in the current form of AMD64 and EM64T,
    > is a strong platform, it strikes me as unlikely that HP-UX
    > will be ported to it.

    And it's for this very reason that Sun today described HP-UX as
    "effectively end-of-lifed" during their quarterly product launch
    webcast today. They think its all over for Itanium. But then they would
    say that wouldn't they...

    --
    Alan Greig

  6. Re: Does HPUX run on x86 processors

    Alan Greig wrote: >

    >> Although x86, in the current form of AMD64 and EM64T,
    >> is a strong platform, it strikes me as unlikely that HP-UX
    >> will be ported to it.

    > And it's for this very reason that Sun today described HP-UX
    > as "effectively end-of-lifed" during their quarterly product launch
    > webcast today. They think its all over for Itanium. But then they
    > would say that wouldn't they...

    I saw a report lately that claimed that at hp, HP-PA on servers
    is still outselling IA-64 by 10:1. If that's true, the fortunes
    of Itanium may not have a lot of effect on the future of HP-UX
    on PA.

    If IA-64 vanishes, as it has for workstations, then hp has
    some processor roadmap decisions to make, and I'm not
    informed about what investments and promises are currently
    being made to hp customers.

    As we have seen with MPE, even when the vendor expects
    to make the product go away, sometimes "end of life" can
    take a decade or more longer than anticipated.

  7. Re: Does HPUX run on x86 processors

    greigaln@netscape.net wrote:

    > rjn wrote:
    >
    >>>apraveen.ku...@gmail.com wrote:

    >>Although x86, in the current form of AMD64 and EM64T,
    >>is a strong platform, it strikes me as unlikely that HP-UX
    >>will be ported to it.

    > And it's for this very reason that Sun today described HP-UX as
    > "effectively end-of-lifed" during their quarterly product launch
    > webcast today. They think its all over for Itanium. But then they would
    > say that wouldn't they...

    When is the last time you looked at the PA-RISC vs. SPARC/AMD numbers?
    go talk to admins who run mission critical systems and see what they are
    running. Instead of marketing hype, compare uptimes, availability,
    stability, and support commitments. What Sun system have you seen that
    they will guarantee you they wil give you suppport 10 years out? Itanic
    has been the wrong move for HP, hopefully with someone new at the helm
    they will steer away from the iceberg... notice the announcements from
    HP over the last few days for systems/storage? When is the last time you
    patched an HP-UX system vs. Solaris, which worked better? Do you have
    any 7+ year old systems that still hold their own in a production
    environment?

    The PA-RISC arch is a mature stable platform that will not go away any
    time soon. HP-UX 11i is a stable OS that has support for virtually all
    mainstream apps/DB's that are out there. It works, and keeps working.
    Frank, care to add your $.02?

  8. Re: Does HPUX run on x86 processors

    Alan D Johnson wrote:
    > greigaln@netscape.net wrote:

    > >>Although x86, in the current form of AMD64 and EM64T,
    > >>is a strong platform, it strikes me as unlikely that HP-UX
    > >>will be ported to it.

    > > And it's for this very reason that Sun today described HP-UX as
    > > "effectively end-of-lifed" during their quarterly product launch
    > > webcast today. They think its all over for Itanium. But then they would
    > > say that wouldn't they...
    > >

    > When is the last time you looked at the PA-RISC vs. SPARC/AMD numbers?
    > go talk to admins who run mission critical systems and see what they are
    > running. Instead of marketing hype, compare uptimes, availability,
    > stability, and support commitments. What Sun system have you seen that
    > they will guarantee you they wil give you suppport 10 years out? Itanic
    > has been the wrong move for HP, hopefully with someone new at the helm
    > they will steer away from the iceberg... notice the announcements from
    > HP over the last few days for systems/storage? When is the last time you
    > patched an HP-UX system vs. Solaris, which worked better? Do you have
    > any 7+ year old systems that still hold their own in a production
    > environment?
    >
    > The PA-RISC arch is a mature stable platform that will not go away any
    > time soon. HP-UX 11i is a stable OS that has support for virtually all
    > mainstream apps/DB's that are out there. It works, and keeps working.
    >
    > Frank, care to add your $.02?

    (Assuming I am the Frank you're referring to,) No, while I fully agree
    with your posting, I'm too long gone to say anything sensible about the
    future.

    However, I have a question: What is that "Sun" thing you guys talk
    about? :-)

  9. Re: Does HPUX run on x86 processors

    Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > Alan D Johnson wrote:
    >
    >>greigaln@netscape.net wrote:

    >>>And it's for this very reason that Sun today described HP-UX as
    >>>"effectively end-of-lifed" during their quarterly product launch
    >>>webcast today. They think its all over for Itanium. But then they would
    >>>say that wouldn't they...
    >>>

    >>When is the last time you looked at the PA-RISC vs. SPARC/AMD numbers?
    >>go talk to admins who run mission critical systems and see what they are
    >>running. Instead of marketing hype, compare uptimes, availability,
    >>stability, and support commitments. What Sun system have you seen that
    >>they will guarantee you they wil give you suppport 10 years out? Itanic
    >>has been the wrong move for HP, hopefully with someone new at the helm
    >>they will steer away from the iceberg... notice the announcements from
    >>HP over the last few days for systems/storage? When is the last time you
    >>patched an HP-UX system vs. Solaris, which worked better? Do you have
    >>any 7+ year old systems that still hold their own in a production
    >>environment?
    >>
    >>The PA-RISC arch is a mature stable platform that will not go away any
    >>time soon. HP-UX 11i is a stable OS that has support for virtually all
    >>mainstream apps/DB's that are out there. It works, and keeps working.
    >>
    >> Frank, care to add your $.02?

    > (Assuming I am the Frank you're referring to,) No, while I fully agree
    > with your posting, I'm too long gone to say anything sensible about the
    > future.
    >
    > However, I have a question: What is that "Sun" thing you guys talk
    > about? :-)

    hee, hee, hee, I would hardly consider you gone... -)

  10. Re: Does HPUX run on x86 processors

    Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > Alan D Johnson wrote:
    >
    >>greigaln@netscape.net wrote:

    >>>And it's for this very reason that Sun today described HP-UX as
    >>>"effectively end-of-lifed" during their quarterly product launch
    >>>webcast today. They think its all over for Itanium. But then they would
    >>>say that wouldn't they...
    >>>

    >>When is the last time you looked at the PA-RISC vs. SPARC/AMD numbers?
    >>go talk to admins who run mission critical systems and see what they are
    >>running. Instead of marketing hype, compare uptimes, availability,
    >>stability, and support commitments. What Sun system have you seen that
    >>they will guarantee you they wil give you suppport 10 years out? Itanic
    >>has been the wrong move for HP, hopefully with someone new at the helm
    >>they will steer away from the iceberg... notice the announcements from
    >>HP over the last few days for systems/storage? When is the last time you
    >>patched an HP-UX system vs. Solaris, which worked better? Do you have
    >>any 7+ year old systems that still hold their own in a production
    >>environment?
    >>
    >>The PA-RISC arch is a mature stable platform that will not go away any
    >>time soon. HP-UX 11i is a stable OS that has support for virtually all
    >>mainstream apps/DB's that are out there. It works, and keeps working.
    >>
    >> Frank, care to add your $.02?

    > (Assuming I am the Frank you're referring to,) No, while I fully agree
    > with your posting, I'm too long gone to say anything sensible about the
    > future.

    Gosh Frank, I think Helen Keller could see the future of the Itanic. IBM
    was the second leading seller of it last year, and they're dropping it like
    a hot potato. Dell has very quietly taken those servers off their website.
    In spite of all those happy-news press releases that have been pumped out
    recently, it's hard to believe anybody really thinks the thing has a future.
    It'll drag on for a few more years and a few more billions of wasted dollars,
    because without it, HP has no roadmap whatsoever.

    -Dave

  11. Re: Does HPUX run on x86 processors

    David Kinsell wrote:
    > Frank Slootweg wrote:
    >
    >> Alan D Johnson wrote:

    >>> When is the last time you looked at the PA-RISC vs. SPARC/AMD
    >>> numbers? go talk to admins who run mission critical systems and see
    >>> what they are running. Instead of marketing hype, compare uptimes,
    >>> availability, stability, and support commitments. What Sun system
    >>> have you seen that they will guarantee you they wil give you suppport
    >>> 10 years out? Itanic has been the wrong move for HP, hopefully with
    >>> someone new at the helm they will steer away from the iceberg...
    >>> notice the announcements from HP over the last few days for
    >>> systems/storage? When is the last time you patched an HP-UX system
    >>> vs. Solaris, which worked better? Do you have any 7+ year old systems
    >>> that still hold their own in a production environment?
    >>>
    >>> The PA-RISC arch is a mature stable platform that will not go away
    >>> any time soon. HP-UX 11i is a stable OS that has support for
    >>> virtually all mainstream apps/DB's that are out there. It works, and
    >>> keeps working.
    >>>
    >>> Frank, care to add your $.02?

    >> (Assuming I am the Frank you're referring to,) No, while I fully agree
    >> with your posting, I'm too long gone to say anything sensible about the
    >> future.
    >>

    > Gosh Frank, I think Helen Keller could see the future of the Itanic. IBM
    > was the second leading seller of it last year, and they're dropping it like
    > a hot potato. Dell has very quietly taken those servers off their website.
    > In spite of all those happy-news press releases that have been pumped out
    > recently, it's hard to believe anybody really thinks the thing has a
    > future.
    > It'll drag on for a few more years and a few more billions of wasted
    > dollars,
    > because without it, HP has no roadmap whatsoever.
    >
    > -Dave

    Frank doesn't care, he's retired, he, he, he, he, lucky guy! -)
    But for the rest of us I think the best bet is to make sure that they
    realize that if everyone gets 8700's and 8900's instead of the "other"
    they might get the message? Maybe Lew's passing will make some people
    stop and think for a minute or two, rest in peace Lew.

  12. Re: Does HPUX run on x86 processors

    Alan D Johnson wrote:
    > David Kinsell wrote:
    >
    >> Frank Slootweg wrote:

    >>> (Assuming I am the Frank you're referring to,) No, while I fully agree
    >>> with your posting, I'm too long gone to say anything sensible about the
    >>> future.
    >>>

    >> Gosh Frank, I think Helen Keller could see the future of the Itanic. IBM
    >> was the second leading seller of it last year, and they're dropping it
    >> like
    >> a hot potato. Dell has very quietly taken those servers off their
    >> website.
    >> In spite of all those happy-news press releases that have been pumped out
    >> recently, it's hard to believe anybody really thinks the thing has a
    >> future.
    >> It'll drag on for a few more years and a few more billions of wasted
    >> dollars,
    >> because without it, HP has no roadmap whatsoever.
    >>
    >> -Dave

    > Frank doesn't care, he's retired, he, he, he, he, lucky guy! -)
    > But for the rest of us I think the best bet is to make sure that they
    > realize that if everyone gets 8700's and 8900's instead of the "other"
    > they might get the message?

    The best bet is to hope Otellini (who's also new on the job) has the sense
    to torpedo the Itanic so they can concentrate on AMD. Intel's getting
    their clock cleaned by the little upstart, and pumping billions into a
    chip nobody cares about really doesn't help. Of course there'll be a few
    contractual obligations to take care of, but it'd sure be worth it to
    them to break them.

    > Maybe Lew's passing will make some people
    > stop and think for a minute or two, rest in peace Lew.

    That was tragic news, but course changes aren't going to happen as
    a result. Alpha is dead, and frankly PA is dead. Too late now for
    any other outcome. The designers have been scattered to the four winds
    by layoffs, re-orgs, and pure frustration. Six years of Carly did
    damage to the company that won't ever be repaired. Hurd's only apparent
    talent is laying off even more thousands to pump up the stock price
    for a while, so he can get out with a package that will make even
    Carly blush. The management and BOD at HP is really good at cost
    cutting these days, except it never seems to start with them, does it?
    If Bill and Dave were still around, they'd clean house in the company
    like you wouldn't believe.

    -Dave

  13. Re: Does HPUX run on x86 processors

    [All quotes left in, but cleaned up/re-wrapped.]

    David Kinsell wrote:
    > Alan D Johnson wrote:
    > > David Kinsell wrote:

    > >> Gosh Frank, I think Helen Keller could see the future of the
    > >> Itanic. IBM was the second leading seller of it last year, and
    > >> they're dropping it like a hot potato. Dell has very quietly taken
    > >> those servers off their website.
    > >> In spite of all those happy-news press releases that have been
    > >> pumped out recently, it's hard to believe anybody really thinks the
    > >> thing has a future.
    > >> It'll drag on for a few more years and a few more billions of
    > >> wasted dollars, because without it, HP has no roadmap whatsoever.
    > >>
    > >> -Dave

    > > Frank doesn't care, he's retired, he, he, he, he, lucky guy! -)
    > > But for the rest of us I think the best bet is to make sure that
    > > they realize that if everyone gets 8700's and 8900's instead of the
    > > "other" they might get the message?

    > The best bet is to hope Otellini (who's also new on the job) has the
    > sense to torpedo the Itanic so they can concentrate on AMD. Intel's
    > getting their clock cleaned by the little upstart, and pumping
    > billions into a chip nobody cares about really doesn't help. Of
    > course there'll be a few contractual obligations to take care of, but
    > it'd sure be worth it to them to break them.
    >
    > > Maybe Lew's passing will make some people stop and think for a
    > > minute or two, rest in peace Lew.

    > That was tragic news, but course changes aren't going to happen as a
    > result. Alpha is dead, and frankly PA is dead. Too late now for any
    > other outcome. The designers have been scattered to the four winds by
    > layoffs, re-orgs, and pure frustration. Six years of Carly did damage
    > to the company that won't ever be repaired. Hurd's only apparent
    > talent is laying off even more thousands to pump up the stock price
    > for a while, so he can get out with a package that will make even
    > Carly blush. The management and BOD at HP is really good at cost
    > cutting these days, except it never seems to start with them, does it?
    > If Bill and Dave were still around, they'd clean house in the company
    > like you wouldn't believe.

    Mostly valid remarks, but considering all that, I think the end result
    for HP and HP-UX as compared to Sun - which is what this (sub-)thread is
    about - isn't all that bad. Yes, Itanium might be a problem, but Itanium
    *and* PA-RISC being a problem is much more unlikely. Itanium *and*
    PA-RISC *and* HP-UX being a problem is even more unlikely. And even then
    there can still be a solution for HP-UX users and hence for HP.

    Bottom line: I don't believe in a doomsday scenario. But that's easy
    for me to say, sipping my wine###tea and typing this on a MS-Windows box
    for crying out loud (but *do* see my User-Agent: header)! :-)

    And indeed, rest in peace Lew! You're sorely missed!

  14. PA-RISC emulator for x86 [was:Re: Does HPUX run on x86 processors]

    Alex van Denzel writes:
    > Has nobody written a PA-RISC emulator for x86 (preferably with
    > adequate hardware support)?

    See

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wholehog/stuart/qemu/

    and