V2500 with no teststation - HP UX

This is a discussion on V2500 with no teststation - HP UX ; Do I need to use a specific machine for a teststation? Or could it be any old PC i have laying around that has a serial port and an ethernet connection... I ask this as I may soon own a ...

  1. V2500 with no teststation

    Do I need to use a specific machine for a teststation? Or could it be
    any old PC i have laying around that has a serial port and an ethernet
    connection...

    I ask this as I may soon own a v2500 that does not have a teststation
    included and I want to know if i'll be able to actually do anything
    with it.

    Thanks,

    David.

  2. Re: V2500 with no teststation

    "freedomblue" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1126337711.623155.173020@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...

    > Do I need to use a specific machine for a teststation? Or could it be
    > any old PC i have laying around that has a serial port and an ethernet
    > connection...

    No. The V class requires a HP9000 workstation as teststation, and the only
    ones that are supported are the 712 and the B class. You also need the
    teststation software, and You need HP-UX 10.x on the teststation as this is
    what the teststation software requires...

    > I ask this as I may soon own a v2500 that does not have a teststation
    > included and I want to know if i'll be able to actually do anything
    > with it.

    Sure, You don't need the teststation to operate a V class. Just connect a
    serial console (terminal, PC) to the serial port A, and You can use the
    machine (almost) like any other HP9000 server. You of course loose the
    teststation functionality, but it's not required to operate a V class...

    Benjamin

  3. Re: V2500 with no teststation

    Fantastic!

    Thank you very much for your reply, much appreciated!

    David.

  4. Re: V2500 with no teststation

    Another question, what functionality will I actually lose by using a
    simple terminal approach to use the machine rather than using a
    teststation?

  5. Re: V2500 with no teststation

    Apologies for all of the questions here, but I have yet another. This
    one will probably sound very ignorant/stupid..

    What i'd like to know is if it is possible to power one of these things
    off a 10A socket. I have been reading the docs on the HP site and as
    far as I can see I'm going to need a 50A socket. If I only have 8 CPUs
    installed and 16GB ram instead of 32 etc can I cut the power
    requirements down?

    (1:28AM Melbourne, Australia - I'm starting to lose my train of thought
    and this is just doing my head in)

+ Reply to Thread