Omnibak corrupted user database - HP UX

This is a discussion on Omnibak corrupted user database - HP UX ; Either my user database is corrupt or it's gone altogether. I was adding a user to the admin group when xomni crashed. Since then I don't have permissions to do a thing. Even root has no permissions which seems to ...

  1. Omnibak corrupted user database

    Either my user database is corrupt or it's gone altogether.
    I was adding a user to the admin group when xomni crashed. Since then I
    don't have permissions to do a thing. Even root has no permissions which
    seems to me to indicated that the permissions file is gone. As far as I
    know xomni is the only tool provided to edit the user perms database. I
    don't even know what the file is called and have not been able to find
    out. None of the omni command line utils seem relevant for adding
    checking user perms.

    Thinking about a re-install of omnibak and a reconfgure. Trying to avoid it.

    Any comments?
    Adam.

  2. Re: Omnibak corrupted user database

    Adam Skeggs wrote:
    > Either my user database is corrupt or it's gone altogether.
    > I was adding a user to the admin group when xomni crashed. Since then I
    > don't have permissions to do a thing. Even root has no permissions which
    > seems to me to indicated that the permissions file is gone. As far as I
    > know xomni is the only tool provided to edit the user perms database. I
    > don't even know what the file is called and have not been able to find
    > out. None of the omni command line utils seem relevant for adding
    > checking user perms.
    >
    > Thinking about a re-install of omnibak and a reconfgure. Trying to avoid
    > it.
    >

    > Any comments?
    > Adam.

    Take a look in /etc/opt/omni/users, the files are there with the user
    info, depending on what version you are running they might be different
    names. The yare all text files so you should be able to look at them to
    see if they are munged. also look at omnidbcheck(1m).

  3. Re: Omnibak corrupted user database

    Alan D Johnson writes:

    > Adam Skeggs wrote:
    > > Either my user database is corrupt or it's gone altogether.
    > > I was adding a user to the admin group when xomni crashed. Since then I
    > > don't have permissions to do a thing. Even root has no permissions which
    > > seems to me to indicated that the permissions file is gone. As far as I know
    > > xomni is the only tool provided to edit the user perms database. I don't
    > > even know what the file is called and have not been able to find out. None
    > > of the omni command line utils seem relevant for adding checking user perms.
    > > Thinking about a re-install of omnibak and a reconfgure. Trying to avoid it.
    > > Any comments?
    > > Adam.

    > Take a look in /etc/opt/omni/users, the files are there with the user info,
    > depending on what version you are running they might be different names. The
    > yare all text files so you should be able to look at them to see if they are
    > munged. also look at omnidbcheck(1m).

    And if you're lucky, you have a backup of the file ;-) Using command-line
    tools as root should always work.

    Regards,
    Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread