Install hdd Quantum Atlas 9,1 Gb as root disk - HP UX

This is a discussion on Install hdd Quantum Atlas 9,1 Gb as root disk - HP UX ; Root disk on my workstation 743i very old and needs replacement.I have a new hard disk Quantum Atlas V 9.1 GB (with a wide to narrow converter), and I have to install HP-UX 9.05. Does anyone have a valid disktab ...

  1. Install hdd Quantum Atlas 9,1 Gb as root disk

    Root disk on my workstation 743i very old and needs replacement.I have
    a new hard disk Quantum Atlas V 9.1 GB (with a wide to narrow
    converter), and I have to install HP-UX 9.05.
    Does anyone have a valid disktab entry for the Quantum Atlas V 9.1
    GB for me?

    Yuri Kazimirko

  2. Re: Install hdd Quantum Atlas 9,1 Gb as root disk

    kazimirko_jr@ssgpo.kz wrote:
    > Root disk on my workstation 743i very old and needs replacement.I have
    > a new hard disk Quantum Atlas V 9.1 GB (with a wide to narrow
    > converter), and I have to install HP-UX 9.05.
    > Does anyone have a valid disktab entry for the Quantum Atlas V 9.1
    > GB for me?
    >
    > Yuri Kazimirko

    If I remember correctly, the maximum disk size in HP-UX 9.05 for an
    *additional* (i.e. non-boot/root/swap) disk is 4GB (provided you have
    the correct (disk driver) patch(es)). Possibly the limit for a
    boot/root/swap disk is even less, 2GB.

    So you will have to make your disk look like a 4 or 2 GB one. You can
    do that with the right "swap" specifications in your 'dfile'. See the
    config(1M) manual page for details.

    As to the disktab entry, you can generate one with the 'newdisk'/
    'newdisk_scan' commands provided in 'patch' PHCO_7461 [1] (or its
    successor) and then adapt it for the desired swap size.

    I hope this helps.

    [1] PHCO_7461:
    When a disk drive is not recognized by the system (i.e.
    does not have an entry in /etc/disktab or SAM's
    pd_devinfo.tx file), the newdisk command will add the
    appropriate entries so that SAM and newfs will operate
    correctly. This patch contains the tools: /etc/newdisk
    and /etc/newdisk_scan. This patch also modifies /etc/rc
    such that it will run newdisk_scan at each system boot.

  3. Re: Install hdd Quantum Atlas 9,1 Gb as root disk

    Frank Slootweg wrote:

    > If I remember correctly, the maximum disk size in HP-UX 9.05 for an
    > *additional* (i.e. non-boot/root/swap) disk is 4GB (provided you have
    > the correct (disk driver) patch(es)). Possibly the limit for a
    > boot/root/swap disk is even less, 2GB.

    That's correct.

    > So you will have to make your disk look like a 4 or 2 GB one. You can
    > do that with the right "swap" specifications in your 'dfile'. See the
    > config(1M) manual page for details.

    This won't work, unfortunately. The physical size of the boot disk must be
    smaller than 2GB. Limiting the filesystem to 2GB doesn't help, because the
    LIF volume is created at the end of the disk and the boot rom can't handle
    addresses above 2GB.

    There's a very ugly workaround using sdsadmin to create a small boot
    partition, but it's absolutely unsupported and absolutely not recommended.
    If a system crash happens for whatever reason, the crash dump is written
    somewhere within the file system destroying most or all of the disk
    contents.

    Another solution would be to use a SCSI modepage editor to change the
    reported size of the disk to 2GB. But of course then you will waste the
    remaining 7GB of the disk.

    The best solution is to upgrade to HP-UX 10.20, AFAIK the last supported
    revision for a 743i or to find a NOS 2GB disk.

    Lothar
    --
    Lothar Paltins lptmp10@freenet.de

  4. Re: Install hdd Quantum Atlas 9,1 Gb as root disk

    Lothar Paltins wrote:
    > Frank Slootweg wrote:
    >
    > > If I remember correctly, the maximum disk size in HP-UX 9.05 for an
    > > *additional* (i.e. non-boot/root/swap) disk is 4GB (provided you have
    > > the correct (disk driver) patch(es)). Possibly the limit for a
    > > boot/root/swap disk is even less, 2GB.

    > That's correct.
    >
    > > So you will have to make your disk look like a 4 or 2 GB one. You can
    > > do that with the right "swap" specifications in your 'dfile'. See the
    > > config(1M) manual page for details.

    > This won't work, unfortunately. The physical size of the boot disk must be
    > smaller than 2GB. Limiting the filesystem to 2GB doesn't help, because the
    > LIF volume is created at the end of the disk and the boot rom can't handle
    > addresses above 2GB.

    Thanks. I vaguely remembered something about 2GB, but could not recall
    the details [1]. You 'sound' so sure that I gladly take your word for
    it! :-)

    [(difficult) workarounds deleted]

    > The best solution is to upgrade to HP-UX 10.20, AFAIK the last supported
    > revision for a 743i or to find a NOS 2GB disk.

    Yes, I should have addressed/asked that. Often people think they can
    not update, while in reality they can.

    So Yuri, why don't you upgrade to HP-UX 10.20?

    [1] My 'excuse', not that I need one, is that 9.05 is very old, nearly
    12 years, and obsolete (and I am retired since (over) two years! :-)).

  5. Re: Install hdd Quantum Atlas 9,1 Gb as root disk

    Thank you Lothar for answer!
    Give me please links to SCSI modepage editor.

    P.S. That means NOS? In russian this means nose )

  6. Re: Install hdd Quantum Atlas 9,1 Gb as root disk

    Thank you Frank!
    I service the system to automations of the plant. This is system
    automation one german company.
    After upgrade from HP-UX 9.05 to HP-UX 10.20 will she runnable?
    What important differences between these version?
    How much will cost this upgrade?

    Plenty of questions

    Probably the most best decision will be aquisition of the hard disk.

  7. Re: Install hdd Quantum Atlas 9,1 Gb as root disk

    kazimirko_jr@ssgpo.kz wrote:
    > Thank you Frank!
    > I service the system to automations of the plant. This is system
    > automation one german company.
    > After upgrade from HP-UX 9.05 to HP-UX 10.20 will she runnable?

    If the software uses normal library (chapter 3) and system (chapter 2)
    call, then it probably will run on 10.20. The biggest change is the
    change to System V Release 4 filesystem layout, so where things are.

    > What important differences between these version?

    See the documentation at the site, especially:

    "HP-UX 10.x" :

    - "Installing and Updating", especially:
    - "Upgrading from HP-UX 9.x to 10.x"
    or PDF version

    - "Release Notes", especially:
    - "Release Notes for HP-UX 10.20"
    or PDF version

    Note: You will probably *not* want to upgrade/update/ to
    10.20, but to *install* (i.e. overwrite the disk) 10.20. But the
    material above, especially the "Release Notes for HP-UX 10.20", is
    needed to know what changed. Actually, you will need to know what
    changed from 9.0X to 10.0[1] (the changes from 10.01 -> 10.10 -> 10.20
    are much smaller). See "Chapter 4. Major Changes for HP-UX 10.0 and
    10.01" in (10.20) Release Notes.

    Whatever you do, make sure that have (*full*, file *and* *system* (see
    mkrs(1M))) backup of the system, so that you can always go back to the
    old (9.05) system, in case something goes wrong, doesn't work, etc.!

    > How much will cost this upgrade?

    It will be hard to get the media. If/once you have the media, there is
    no further cost, because nearly all system which are licensed for 9.X
    are also licensed for 10.X.

    > Plenty of questions

    You van say that again! :-)

    > Probably the most best decision will be aquisition of the hard disk.

    If that works and is sufficient (in the long run), then that may be
    the easiest path. Realize however that 9.X is totally unsupported
    (since 2000, ("Y2K")). Perhaps others can comment on the current support
    status of 10.20.

  8. Re: Install hdd Quantum Atlas 9,1 Gb as root disk

    kazimirko_jr@ssgpo.kz wrote:

    > Thank you Lothar for answer!
    > Give me please links to SCSI modepage editor.

    I know two utilities that can change SCSI modepage entries:

    1. The FreeBSD tool camcontrol

    2. An old DOS utility from DEC. It's available e.g. here:
    ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/spezial/dsp220.zip

    But be very careful! You can make your disk unusable with wrong modepage
    settings! And I've never used such a tool, I can't help you with it's
    usage.

    > P.S. That means NOS? In russian this means nose )

    New Old Stock. I.e., a stock item that is unused ("new") but long out of
    production ("old"). You may find such disks on eBay.

    But of course upgrading to HP-UX 10.20 would be the the best solution,
    this would also make your system Y2K safe.

    Lothar
    --
    Lothar Paltins lptmp10@freenet.de

  9. Re: Install hdd Quantum Atlas 9,1 Gb as root disk

    Lothar Paltins wrote:
    > kazimirko_jr@ssgpo.kz wrote:

    >> Thank you Lothar for answer!
    >> Give me please links to SCSI modepage editor.

    I've once wrote a small utility for HP-UX 9.0X that changes the modepage ...
    Contact me if you need it, it worked for most of the disks I had, but some
    (e.g. IBM 0664) refused the size-change.

    urle

    --
    Uli Betzler (urle) urle@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
    Universitaet Karlsruhe, Rechenzentrum IRA/VERA/SR, Zirkel 2, 76128 Karlsruhe

  10. Re: Install hdd Quantum Atlas 9,1 Gb as root disk

    Hi, Uli!
    I need this utility. I need more detailed information.

+ Reply to Thread