Oracle/Itanium/libraries - HP UX

This is a discussion on Oracle/Itanium/libraries - HP UX ; I have a PA_RISC based application that runs on Itanium without having to re-compile on Itanium. One problem though is that this application dynamically loads Oracle library (libclntsh.sl on PA_RISC) and all works fine on PA_RISC. However, on itanium Oracle ...

  1. Oracle/Itanium/libraries

    I have a PA_RISC based application that runs on Itanium without having
    to re-compile on Itanium. One problem though is that this application
    dynamically loads Oracle library (libclntsh.sl on PA_RISC) and all
    works fine on PA_RISC.

    However, on itanium Oracle does not provide a RISC version of the
    libraries as part of the Itanium install and you cannot dynamically
    load an ELF based library thru an ARIES/PA_RISC program. I have read in
    a couple of places that you could copy over your libraries from a
    PA_RISC machine and dynamically load and use those to access Oracle.

    Has anyone actually done this?

  2. Re: Oracle/Itanium/libraries

    Possibly running the PA version of Oracle on Itanium (under PA emulation)
    isn't supported by Oracle at all. At least SAP said that.

    Ulrich

    "spaceboyaxa" writes:

    > I have a PA_RISC based application that runs on Itanium without having
    > to re-compile on Itanium. One problem though is that this application
    > dynamically loads Oracle library (libclntsh.sl on PA_RISC) and all
    > works fine on PA_RISC.
    >
    > However, on itanium Oracle does not provide a RISC version of the
    > libraries as part of the Itanium install and you cannot dynamically
    > load an ELF based library thru an ARIES/PA_RISC program. I have read in
    > a couple of places that you could copy over your libraries from a
    > PA_RISC machine and dynamically load and use those to access Oracle.
    >
    > Has anyone actually done this?

  3. Re: Oracle/Itanium/libraries

    Hello !

    spaceboyaxa wrote:
    > I have a PA_RISC based application that runs on Itanium without having
    > to re-compile on Itanium. One problem though is that this application
    > dynamically loads Oracle library (libclntsh.sl on PA_RISC) and all
    > works fine on PA_RISC.
    >
    > However, on itanium Oracle does not provide a RISC version of the
    > libraries as part of the Itanium install and you cannot dynamically
    > load an ELF based library thru an ARIES/PA_RISC program. I have read in
    > a couple of places that you could copy over your libraries from a
    > PA_RISC machine and dynamically load and use those to access Oracle.
    >
    > Has anyone actually done this?

    I have not tried it. But it I think it is worth a try.
    Your application is PARISC, and needs the PARISC Oracle lib. Oracle is a
    native IA64 binary. So I think it could gave some problems with the
    communication between your application if you use IPC. But if you can
    use the communication via the listener, it could be successfull.
    Difficult to say, if it will be work....

    Regards

    Lars

+ Reply to Thread