    wish to not get spammed on and am now getting SPAM. Any suggestions?

    Isaac

  2. Re: Request for article removal

    On 2005-08-22, Isaac Gerg wrote:

    > Who can I contact about getting an article removed from this
    > newsgroup. I accidently posted an article containing an email address I
    > wish to not get spammed on and am now getting SPAM. Any suggestions?

    Too late - defend your email address by changing it and/or adding filters.
    It's worth having several email addresses - some of them readily disposable
    (such as the one I'm using now).

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/
    Powergen write "Why not stay with us" - let me count the ways!

  3. Re: Request for article removal

    Isaac Gerg wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Who can I contact about getting an article removed from this
    > newsgroup. I accidently posted an article containing an email address I
    > wish to not get spammed on and am now getting SPAM. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Isaac

    Well, you could try Edit/Cancel Message, but it really is too late to do
    much good.

  4. Re: Request for article removal

    Isaac Gerg wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Who can I contact about getting an article removed from this
    > newsgroup. I accidently posted an article containing an email address I
    > wish to not get spammed on and am now getting SPAM. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Isaac

    It's easier to change your name and identity.

  5. Re: Request for article removal

    all mail refused writes:

    > On 2005-08-22, Isaac Gerg wrote:
    >
    > > Who can I contact about getting an article removed from this
    > > newsgroup. I accidently posted an article containing an email address I
    > > wish to not get spammed on and am now getting SPAM. Any suggestions?

    > Too late - defend your email address by changing it and/or adding filters.
    > It's worth having several email addresses - some of them readily disposable
    > (such as the one I'm using now).

    Changing E-Mail addresses will not really help against SPAMmers IMHO. Sue
    them; make them pay; bounce their crap; validate SMTP conncetions. Then
    they'll stop it.

    I have the same EMail address for over 10 years so I know what I'm talking
    about.

    Regards,
    Ulrich

    > --
    > Elvis Notargiacomo master AT barefaced DOT cheek
    > http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/
    > Powergen write "Why not stay with us" - let me count the ways!

  6. Re: Request for article removal

    $DRIFT ON

    Ulrich Windl wrote:
    [deleted]
    > Changing E-Mail addresses will not really help against SPAMmers IMHO. Sue
    > them; make them pay; bounce their crap; validate SMTP conncetions. Then
    > they'll stop it.

    All (somewhat) sound advice, except "bounce their crap". One should
    *not* bounce 'spam', because in nearly all cases the From:/Reply-To: is
    forged and is the address of some innocent bystander, especially in Joe
    Jobs. I.e. bouncing spam only *adds* to the problem.

    [deleted]

    $DRIFT OFF

  7. Re: Request for article removal

    Frank Slootweg writes:

    > $DRIFT ON
    >
    > Ulrich Windl wrote:
    > [deleted]
    > > Changing E-Mail addresses will not really help against SPAMmers IMHO. Sue
    > > them; make them pay; bounce their crap; validate SMTP conncetions. Then
    > > they'll stop it.

    > All (somewhat) sound advice, except "bounce their crap". One should
    > *not* bounce 'spam', because in nearly all cases the From:/Reply-To: is
    > forged and is the address of some innocent bystander, especially in Joe
    > Jobs. I.e. bouncing spam only *adds* to the problem.

    To clarify: With "bouncing" I mean not to accept it. That is during SMTP
    session return an error at the end of the DATA phase. So the sending SMTP
    server will have the problem, not you. If that machine is not the origin of
    the SPAM, it's most likely an open relay. I think it's absolutely valid to
    reject mail messages you do not want.

    Regards,
    Ulrich

    > [deleted]
    >
    > $DRIFT OFF

  8. Re: Request for article removal

    Ulrich Windl wrote:
    [deleted]
    > To clarify: With "bouncing" I mean not to accept it. That is during SMTP
    > session return an error at the end of the DATA phase. So the sending SMTP
    > server will have the problem, not you. If that machine is not the origin of
    > the SPAM, it's most likely an open relay. I think it's absolutely valid to
    > reject mail messages you do not want.

    Thanks for the clarification. That is indeed the best thing to do. Not
    perfect, but the least troublesome for most.

  9. Re: Request for article removal

    Ulrich Windl writes:

    > To clarify: With "bouncing" I mean not to accept it. That is during SMTP
    > session return an error at the end of the DATA phase. So the sending SMTP
    > server will have the problem, not you. If that machine is not the origin of
    > the SPAM, it's most likely an open relay. I think it's absolutely valid to
    > reject mail messages you do not want.

    Yes. You wanted to say "reject". Bouncing is accepting the DATA phase,
    deciding you don't want the message, and generating a non-delivery report.

  10. Re: Request for article removal

    Isaac Gerg wrote:

    > Who can I contact about getting an article removed from
    > this newsgroup.

    No one. Even if your netnews host supports NNTP Cancel,
    it was too late as soon as the article first appeared.

    > I accidently posted an article containing an email address
    > I wish to not get spammed on and am now getting SPAM.

    And if you read (or even preview-paned) any of that email
    (without first locking your IP stack or disconnecting
    from the internet), embedded HTML code/web bugs phoned home
    and reported that the address was valid and live. The email
    address is now being traded between spammers as a high-value
    item.

    > Any suggestions?

    Get a new email address.

    Actually, get two. Also get a throw-away account on Yahoo or
    the like, and be disciplined about using it for netnews and
    other forums where spammers harvest.