HP 9000 C110 Hard Drive Compatibility Question - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP 9000 C110 Hard Drive Compatibility Question - HP UX ; Hi Folks, I need to do a small project on HP-UX, and I have an HP-9000 C110 system that I can use for this purpose. Unfortunately the system's internal HD is only 2.2 GB, and I need it to be ...

  1. HP 9000 C110 Hard Drive Compatibility Question

    Hi Folks,

    I need to do a small project on HP-UX, and I have an HP-9000 C110 system
    that I can use for this purpose.

    Unfortunately the system's internal HD is only 2.2 GB, and I need it to
    be at least 12 GB for this task. I looked up the number of the internal
    drive, and it's a 50 pin SCSI-2 SE (single ended) model.

    I have an 18 GB, 68 pin, SCSI-3, Ultra 160 SE drive, and a 68 pin to 50
    pin cable adapter. I was wondering if anyone knows whether there's a
    limitation that would keep this adapted drive from working properly in
    the C110.

    I could just plug it in and see what happens, but I wanted to see if
    anyone knew whether this would work in advance.

    Thanks for any pointers!

    -dreq

  2. Re: HP 9000 C110 Hard Drive Compatibility Question

    Derek Mark Edding wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I need to do a small project on HP-UX, and I have an HP-9000 C110 system
    > that I can use for this purpose.
    >
    > Unfortunately the system's internal HD is only 2.2 GB, and I need it to
    > be at least 12 GB for this task. I looked up the number of the internal
    > drive, and it's a 50 pin SCSI-2 SE (single ended) model.
    >
    > I have an 18 GB, 68 pin, SCSI-3, Ultra 160 SE drive, and a 68 pin to 50
    > pin cable adapter. I was wondering if anyone knows whether there's a
    > limitation that would keep this adapted drive from working properly in
    > the C110.
    >
    > I could just plug it in and see what happens, but I wanted to see if
    > anyone knew whether this would work in advance.
    >
    > Thanks for any pointers!
    >
    > -dreq

    Derek,

    Ultra SCSI-3 connecting to Ultra SCSI-2 is asking for trouble.

    Why not go to eBay and look for a c3x00 model? Come with 2*18GB
    sometimes and HP-UX 11.xx installed.

    Regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: HP 9000 C110 Hard Drive Compatibility Question

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra schrieb:
    > Derek Mark Edding wrote:
    >> I need to do a small project on HP-UX, and I have an HP-9000 C110
    >> system that I can use for this purpose.

    > Ultra SCSI-3 connecting to Ultra SCSI-2 is asking for trouble.

    Ultra-SCSI3 and Ultra-SCSI2 are compatible and interchangeable.
    Every Ultra SCSI3 devices can fallback to Ultra SCSI2 (which is still
    40MB/s, enough for a machine like the C110)

    But:
    The C110 has 2 SCSI busses:
    a 5MB/s SCSI-2 Single ended and
    a 20MB/s Wide SCSI-2 *High Voltage Differential*

    The bus for faster mass storage is the Wide SCSI diff.
    You *cannot* use SE or LVD drives here. You'll need differential SCSI
    devices.

    > Why not go to eBay and look for a c3x00 model? Come with 2*18GB
    > sometimes and HP-UX 11.xx installed.

    And run circles around a C110...

    --
    Uli

  4. Re: HP 9000 C110 Hard Drive Compatibility Question

    Uli Link wrote:
    > Ultra-SCSI3 and Ultra-SCSI2 are compatible and interchangeable.
    > Every Ultra SCSI3 devices can fallback to Ultra SCSI2 (which is still
    > 40MB/s, enough for a machine like the C110)
    >
    > But:
    > The C110 has 2 SCSI busses:
    > a 5MB/s SCSI-2 Single ended and
    > a 20MB/s Wide SCSI-2 *High Voltage Differential*
    >
    > The bus for faster mass storage is the Wide SCSI diff.
    > You *cannot* use SE or LVD drives here. You'll need differential SCSI
    > devices.
    >
    >> Why not go to eBay and look for a c3x00 model? Come with 2*18GB
    >> sometimes and HP-UX 11.xx installed.

    > And run circles around a C110...

    For the record, the 18 GB U160 drive worked great. It is a Quantum (now
    Maxtor) Atlas V series. I added two jumpers, one to force SE (it also
    supports LVD), and one to force narrow transfers. I was at first
    worried that the drive has no internal termination, but this turned out
    not to be a problem. HP-UX recognized it, formatted it, and it runs
    flawlessly.

    I would not mind having a faster system, but the C110 was here already
    and is sufficient for the task.

    Thanks for the pointers, Uli.

    -dreq

  5. Re: HP 9000 C110 Hard Drive Compatibility Question

    As I know, C110 has the HVD scsi interface.

    "Derek Mark Edding" wrote in message
    news:zOMMe.8645$Je.6284@newsread2.news.atl.earthli nk.net...
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I need to do a small project on HP-UX, and I have an HP-9000 C110 system
    > that I can use for this purpose.
    >
    > Unfortunately the system's internal HD is only 2.2 GB, and I need it to be
    > at least 12 GB for this task. I looked up the number of the internal
    > drive, and it's a 50 pin SCSI-2 SE (single ended) model.
    >
    > I have an 18 GB, 68 pin, SCSI-3, Ultra 160 SE drive, and a 68 pin to 50
    > pin cable adapter. I was wondering if anyone knows whether there's a
    > limitation that would keep this adapted drive from working properly in the
    > C110.
    >
    > I could just plug it in and see what happens, but I wanted to see if
    > anyone knew whether this would work in advance.
    >
    > Thanks for any pointers!
    >
    > -dreq

+ Reply to Thread