installing perl without compiling it again and again - HP UX

This is a discussion on installing perl without compiling it again and again - HP UX ; Hi * I've bee tasked to evaluate the folloing problem. We're running HPUX 10.20 and 11i clusters and some packages need to have perl installed into them. Is there a possibility to install perl into the packages without having to ...

  1. installing perl without compiling it again and again

    Hi *

    I've bee tasked to evaluate the folloing problem.

    We're running HPUX 10.20 and 11i clusters and some packages need to
    have perl installed into them.
    Is there a possibility to install perl into the packages without having
    to compile it again everytime??
    Is it possible to copy it from one package/machine to another without
    major modifications (perhaps with a script that changes paths and other
    necessary things)??

    Any input is appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    Christian

  2. Re: installing perl without compiling it again and again

    Hello !

    bobby.babylon@gmx.net wrote:
    > I've bee tasked to evaluate the folloing problem.
    >
    > We're running HPUX 10.20 and 11i clusters and some packages need to
    > have perl installed into them.
    > Is there a possibility to install perl into the packages without having
    > to compile it again everytime??
    >
    > Is it possible to copy it from one package/machine to another without
    > major modifications (perhaps with a script that changes paths and other
    > necessary things)??

    For example, make a software depot, which is accessible from all your
    servers. Copy the software to this depot. Now you can swinstall the
    binaries from the other clients over network from the depot.

    Other method is to make a depot from your compiled binaries by your
    self. Look for Software Package Builder (spb).

    You can also copy this depot files to the other systems, and install it
    localy without the need of a depot.

    Other method is to make a tar file from your compiled binary and copy it
    to the destinations systems, and untar it there.

    You will get perl also from the application CDs or from software.hp.com
    as compiled binary in the swdepot format.

    Regards

    Lars

  3. Re: installing perl without compiling it again and again

    On my HPUX 11.0 boxes I frequently install perl from '.depot' sources
    received from either software.hp.com or from http://hpux.cs.utah.edu
    (http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Languages/perl-5.8.6/ ). once
    installed, I've tar'd the entire perl directory from the /opt/perl tree
    and copied/un-tar'd it on other HPUX 11.0 boxes w/o and trouble.

    I don't know about copying from 10.20 to 11i. Why not try it? I've still
    got some 9.05 applications hanging around that work on 11.0 that were
    tar'd and copied from 9.05 to 10.20 to 11.0.

    steve

    bobby.babylon@gmx.net wrote:

    >Hi *
    >
    >I've bee tasked to evaluate the folloing problem.
    >
    >We're running HPUX 10.20 and 11i clusters and some packages need to
    >have perl installed into them.
    >Is there a possibility to install perl into the packages without having
    >to compile it again everytime??
    >Is it possible to copy it from one package/machine to another without
    >major modifications (perhaps with a script that changes paths and other
    >necessary things)??
    >
    >Any input is appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Christian