LIF information corrupt or not present - HP UX

This is a discussion on LIF information corrupt or not present - HP UX ; I am trying to make a bootable mirror copy of my boot disk. Whenver I start doing the "lvextend" commands to add the mirror copy, I get the following message: lvlnboot: LIF information corrupt or not present on "/dev/dsk/c3t2d0". Use ...

  1. LIF information corrupt or not present

    I am trying to make a bootable mirror copy of my boot disk. Whenver I
    start doing the "lvextend" commands to add the mirror copy, I get the
    following message:

    lvlnboot: LIF information corrupt or not present on "/dev/dsk/c3t2d0".
    Use the "mkboot" command to initialize the LIF area.

    Okay, so I lvreduce all the volumes, and run "mkboot -l
    /dev/dsk/c3t2d0" and start over. I get the same error message!!!

    This appears to be the first time that this has happened to anyone,
    ever, because I can't find any mention of this error message anywhere
    online?? Surely someone has seen this before and has fixed it?? HP
    support is useless; they can't tell me anything about the error message
    or how to fix it.

  2. Re: LIF information corrupt or not present

    wrote in message
    news:1122466808.857448.305270@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > I am trying to make a bootable mirror copy of my boot disk. Whenver I
    > start doing the "lvextend" commands to add the mirror copy, I get the
    > following message:
    >
    > lvlnboot: LIF information corrupt or not present on "/dev/dsk/c3t2d0".
    > Use the "mkboot" command to initialize the LIF area.
    >
    > Okay, so I lvreduce all the volumes, and run "mkboot -l
    > /dev/dsk/c3t2d0" and start over. I get the same error message!!!
    >
    > This appears to be the first time that this has happened to anyone,
    > ever, because I can't find any mention of this error message anywhere
    > online?? Surely someone has seen this before and has fixed it?? HP
    > support is useless; they can't tell me anything about the error message
    > or how to fix it.

    Hello,

    you did not mention what is your HPUX version.

    What is an output of the next two commands:

    #lifls -l /dev/rdsk/c3t2d0

    #lvlnboot -v

    BTW, mkboot command has syntax:

    #mkboot -l /dev/rdsk/c3t2d0, not /.../dsk/...

    Have you tried to boot your system from the disk c3t2d0 recently? Maybe LIF
    is really corrupted.

    M.

  3. Re: LIF information corrupt or not present

    This is a new blank hard drive. I am trying to make a bootable mirror
    on it.

    I tried your command "mkboot -l /dev/rdsk/c3t2d0" and I still get the
    same error message.

    # lvlnboot -v
    Boot Definitions for Volume Group /dev/vg00:
    Physical Volumes belonging in Root Volume Group:
    /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 (0/1/1/0.0.0) -- Boot Disk
    /dev/dsk/c9t0d1 (0/2/1/0.97.24.19.0.0.1)
    /dev/dsk/c3t2d0 (0/1/1/1.2.0)
    Boot: lvol1 on: /dev/dsk/c2t0d0
    /dev/dsk/c9t0d1
    Root: lvol3 on: /dev/dsk/c2t0d0
    /dev/dsk/c9t0d1
    Swap: lvol2 on: /dev/dsk/c2t0d0
    /dev/dsk/c9t0d1
    /dev/dsk/c3t2d0
    Dump: lvol2 on: /dev/dsk/c2t0d0, 0

    Current path "/dev/dsk/c7t0d2" is an alternate link, skip.
    Current path "/dev/dsk/c7t0d3" is an alternate link, skip.

    c9t0d1 is a SAN attached space.

    # lifls -l /dev/rdsk/c3t2d0
    volume c3t2d0 data size 29 directory size 1 05/07/27 17:07:56
    filename type start size implement created
    LABEL BIN 8 8 0 05/07/27 17:07:56

  4. Re: LIF information corrupt or not present

    On 27 Jul 2005 14:10:34 -0700, mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com wrote:

    >This is a new blank hard drive. I am trying to make a bootable mirror
    >on it.
    >
    >I tried your command "mkboot -l /dev/rdsk/c3t2d0" and I still get the
    >same error message.
    >
    ># lvlnboot -v
    >Boot Definitions for Volume Group /dev/vg00:
    >Physical Volumes belonging in Root Volume Group:
    > /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 (0/1/1/0.0.0) -- Boot Disk
    > /dev/dsk/c9t0d1 (0/2/1/0.97.24.19.0.0.1)
    > /dev/dsk/c3t2d0 (0/1/1/1.2.0)
    >Boot: lvol1 on: /dev/dsk/c2t0d0
    > /dev/dsk/c9t0d1
    >Root: lvol3 on: /dev/dsk/c2t0d0
    > /dev/dsk/c9t0d1
    >Swap: lvol2 on: /dev/dsk/c2t0d0
    > /dev/dsk/c9t0d1
    > /dev/dsk/c3t2d0 <<<<<<<<

    You realize that drive is already in use?
    You have swap allocated on it.

  5. Re: LIF information corrupt or not present

    Robert Klute wrote:
    > On 27 Jul 2005 14:10:34 -0700, mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com wrote:
    >

    >>This is a new blank hard drive. I am trying to make a bootable mirror
    >>on it.
    >>
    >>I tried your command "mkboot -l /dev/rdsk/c3t2d0" and I still get the
    >>same error message.
    >>
    >># lvlnboot -v
    >>Boot Definitions for Volume Group /dev/vg00:
    >>Physical Volumes belonging in Root Volume Group:
    >> /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 (0/1/1/0.0.0) -- Boot Disk
    >> /dev/dsk/c9t0d1 (0/2/1/0.97.24.19.0.0.1)
    >> /dev/dsk/c3t2d0 (0/1/1/1.2.0)
    >>Boot: lvol1 on: /dev/dsk/c2t0d0
    >> /dev/dsk/c9t0d1
    >>Root: lvol3 on: /dev/dsk/c2t0d0
    >> /dev/dsk/c9t0d1
    >>Swap: lvol2 on: /dev/dsk/c2t0d0
    >> /dev/dsk/c9t0d1
    >> /dev/dsk/c3t2d0 <<<<<<<<

    > You realize that drive is already in use?
    > You have swap allocated on it.

    Dear original poster,

    Is that disk prepared with pvcreate -b?

    If not, you will not be able to create LIF on it. The logical volume
    manager will claim the space for filesystems, where mkboot wants to put
    the LIF.

    In other words pvcreate -b will create a 'boot area'.

    Regards,

    Jan Gerrit

  6. Re: LIF information corrupt or not present

    That was it!

    Thanks guys!

+ Reply to Thread