    Thanks,
    Brian

  2. Re: Create a Text file of Directory Contents

    On 2005-07-20, Gomer wrote:

    > Can anyone suggest to me a way to create an index file of text
    > files in a directory?
    > Let's say I have 5000 text files in /tmp/junkfiles, and I want to
    > have an index to enable me to more quickly search fo text in those
    > files.
    > Any suggestions as to how that can be done?

    I think it would be useful to know more about the files and the searches.

    It won't be an HP-UX specific answer anyway making this is questionable
    choice of forum.

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/
    Powergen write "Why not stay with us" - let me count the ways!

  3. Re: Create a Text file of Directory Contents

    Geez, what a helpful answer (he said sarcastically); not to mention
    incorrect!

    I did some further research and found a wonderful little utility called
    "glimpse". You can find out more data by going to their web site:
    http://www.webglimpse.net.

    Their glimpse program will create an index of a single directory, or an
    entire file system, for that matter.

    Once done, it can lower the time it takes to find a word or number in a
    text file dramatically. On my server, for instance, a search that
    would previously have taken a couple of minutes now completes in less
    than a second.

    This program also has a Makefile particular to an HPUX server, which
    makes my job much easier.

  4. Re: Create a Text file of Directory Contents

    ยท Gomer :

    > Can anyone suggest to me a way to create an index file of text
    > files in a directory?

    ls -laR /dir > file
    find /dir -type f > file

    uhm - you say "of text files"? What's a "text file"?

    Alexander Skwar
    --
    FORTRAN is not a flower but a weed -- it is hardy, occasionally blooms,
    and grows in every computer.

  5. Re: Create a Text file of Directory Contents

    Pardon my Windoze!

    Sounds similar to IIS/Windows capability of indexing that I used to build my
    local Intranet search engine years ago!

    Glimpse looks good though. BTW, I located it via http://hpux.cs.utah.edu.
    Hopefully, this will come in handy in future.

    Vince
    "Gomer" wrote in message
    news:1121971629.002309.231530@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Geez, what a helpful answer (he said sarcastically); not to mention
    > incorrect!
    >
    > I did some further research and found a wonderful little utility called
    > "glimpse". You can find out more data by going to their web site:
    > http://www.webglimpse.net.
    >
    > Their glimpse program will create an index of a single directory, or an
    > entire file system, for that matter.
    >
    > Once done, it can lower the time it takes to find a word or number in a
    > text file dramatically. On my server, for instance, a search that
    > would previously have taken a couple of minutes now completes in less
    > than a second.
    >
    > This program also has a Makefile particular to an HPUX server, which
    > makes my job much easier.

+ Reply to Thread