netstat - HP UX

This is a discussion on netstat - HP UX ; Hi, I want to monitor the network of a server. All resouces tell me I should use netstat for this. I have read the man page for netstat and it looks like that I should use the command "netstat -s ...

  1. netstat

    Hi,

    I want to monitor the network of a server. All resouces tell me I
    should use netstat for this. I have read the man page for netstat and
    it looks like that I should use the command "netstat -s -p tcp".
    Regarding this I have two questions you might be able to help:

    1. Can I call this command somehow every 5 seconds automatically (like
    I can with vmstat using "vmstat 5")? The intervall is ignored for the
    -s command.

    2. I get all these different values, but how can I find out what they
    EXACTLY mean and how I can recognize if there is a bottleneck? May be
    it is a bit simple thinking, but if the network card has some kind of
    queue and if I could monitor this queue I would recognize a bottleneck
    as soon as the queue grows.

    Thanks for your help,

    Jochen

  2. Re: netstat

    jochen_r@gmx.de wrote:
    > 1. Can I call this command somehow every 5 seconds automatically
    > (like I can with vmstat using "vmstat 5")? The intervall is ignored
    > for the -s command.

    Wrap it in a small shell script.

    > 2. I get all these different values, but how can I find out what
    > they EXACTLY mean and how I can recognize if there is a bottleneck?
    > May be it is a bit simple thinking, but if the network card has some
    > kind of queue and if I could monitor this queue I would recognize a
    > bottleneck as soon as the queue grows.

    It may not be definitive, but:

    ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking...ed_netstat.txt

    may be of some assistance.

    rick jones