physical memory vs. real memory - HP UX

This is a discussion on physical memory vs. real memory - HP UX ; Hi, in sam (or as well in top) I can see two different parameters, one is called physical memory and the other one is real memory. So far I used these terms equally. I still assume that physical memory denotes ...

  1. physical memory vs. real memory

    Hi,

    in sam (or as well in top) I can see two different parameters, one is
    called physical memory and the other one is real memory. So far I used
    these terms equally. I still assume that physical memory denotes to the
    hardware mem chips I put in the server, but was is real memory?

    Any idea?

    Thanks,
    Jochen

  2. Re: physical memory vs. real memory

    Hi

    The "memory management whitepaper". should give you some information
    Once it was in /usr/share/doc/mem_mgt.txt; don't know whether this
    exists in actual versions (And I do not pretend, that I understood it
    completely ;-) ).

    As far as I remember real memory is basically the memory, a user process
    can use for code or data.

    Florian

    jochen_r@gmx.de wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > in sam (or as well in top) I can see two different parameters, one is
    > called physical memory and the other one is real memory. So far I used
    > these terms equally. I still assume that physical memory denotes to the
    > hardware mem chips I put in the server, but was is real memory?
    >
    > Any idea?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jochen

  3. Re: physical memory vs. real memory

    Hi Florian,

    couldn't find any document called mem_mgt.txt on my server. (HP-UX RISC
    11.11).

    Regards,
    Jochen

+ Reply to Thread