HP-UX 10.20 and tape drive? - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX 10.20 and tape drive? - HP UX ; Dear HP-UX friends I would like to read old tapes in external QIC-02 1/4-Inch Streaming Tape Drive connected to hp712 running HP-UX 10.20. But I have no /dev/rmt/ directory :-( How can I create special files for tape drive? Also, ...

  1. HP-UX 10.20 and tape drive?

    Dear HP-UX friends

    I would like to read old tapes
    in external QIC-02 1/4-Inch Streaming Tape Drive
    connected to hp712 running HP-UX 10.20.

    But I have no /dev/rmt/ directory :-(
    How can I create special files for tape drive?

    Also, ioscan does not report the tape drive
    (connected to SCSI bus with adr 4 selected),
    though it does report a Yamaha CD burner
    (if connected instead of the tape drive)

    2/0/1.4.0 disk YAMAHA CRW2100S

    I used to use the tape drive under HP-UX 9.05,
    so it does work.

    Thanks for any help.

    --
    Pavel Pokorny
    Math Dept, Prague Institute of Chemical Technology

  2. Re: HP-UX 10.20 and tape drive?

    Pavel Pokorny wrote:
    > Dear HP-UX friends
    >
    > I would like to read old tapes
    > in external QIC-02 1/4-Inch Streaming Tape Drive
    > connected to hp712 running HP-UX 10.20.
    >
    > But I have no /dev/rmt/ directory :-(
    > How can I create special files for tape drive?
    >
    > Also, ioscan does not report the tape drive
    > (connected to SCSI bus with adr 4 selected),
    > though it does report a Yamaha CD burner
    > (if connected instead of the tape drive)
    >
    > 2/0/1.4.0 disk YAMAHA CRW2100S
    >
    > I used to use the tape drive under HP-UX 9.05,
    > so it does work.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    do an rmsf in /dev/rmt, /dev/diag/rmt. do an ioscan(1M), no options. do
    an insf(1M) -e. do an ioscan -nf and see what tape drives you have. do
    an ioscan -nkf to see if the kernel has drivers for the devices.

  3. Re: HP-UX 10.20 and tape drive?

    Hi Pavel,

    you need either the stape or the tape2 driver in your kernel. I think,
    it does not hurt if you take both of them.

    # cd /stand/build
    # /usr/lbin/sysadm/system_prep -s system
    # vi system
    -> add the keywords "stape" and "tape2" to the list you
    find in this file.
    # /usr/sbin/mk_kernel -s system
    # mv /stand/system /stand/system.prev
    # mv /stand/build/system /stand/system
    # mv /stand/vmunix /stand/vmunix.prev
    # mv /stand/build/vmunix_test /stand/vmunix
    # cd /
    # shutdown -r now

    regards, Florian

  4. Re: HP-UX 10.20 and tape drive?

    Following this thread, when I add "tape2" to the system file, and then do:
    /usr/sbin/mk_kernel -s system I get several error messages:
    /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
    tape2_install (code)
    tape0_open (code)
    and the compile fails with
    *** Error exit code 1

    I do find stape already listed, but it doesn't like the tape2. Suggestions? HPUX 10.20
    Trying to get the machine to recognize an exabyte scsi tape drive. SAM says it has tape drivers already in the kernel (does sam lie?) but I cannot add the tape drive, and the system doesn't see it on a reboot.
    Thx!

+ Reply to Thread