Writing and compiling kernel modules - HP UX

This is a discussion on Writing and compiling kernel modules - HP UX ; Hi All, I'm trying to port a kernel module from solaris to HP-UX. At this point, I'm testing on 11.11, but will try other systems when (if) I'm successful. I've downloaded the dummynet tree, and play with it now. 2 ...

  1. Writing and compiling kernel modules

    Hi All,

    I'm trying to port a kernel module from solaris to HP-UX. At this
    point, I'm testing on 11.11, but will try other systems when (if) I'm
    successful.

    I've downloaded the dummynet tree, and play with it now. 2 questions
    come to mind:

    1. Can I somehow use gcc to compile a kernel module/driver? All
    refernces say I should use the HP ANSI-C compiler, but I wonder if
    anybody has managed to use gcc. If so, what are the correct flags?

    2. I need to write a "misc" module. All the examples I found are for
    either a driver or a STREAMS module. Any ideas?

    TIA,
    Gali

  2. Re: Writing and compiling kernel modules

    Gali Work wrote:
    > I'm trying to port a kernel module from solaris to HP-UX. At this
    > point, I'm testing on 11.11, but will try other systems when (if)
    > I'm successful.

    > I've downloaded the dummynet tree, and play with it now. 2 questions
    > come to mind:

    From where did you get dummynet? If from ftp.cup.hp.com, keep in mind
    that dummynet is not exactly meant to be an exemplar of kernel modules

    > 1. Can I somehow use gcc to compile a kernel module/driver? All
    > refernces say I should use the HP ANSI-C compiler, but I wonder if
    > anybody has managed to use gcc. If so, what are the correct flags?

    My personal advice would be "Don't even go there." The HP-UX kernel
    is compiled with the HP compilers. You'd need to find some rather
    precise translations of all the
    kernel-specific-and-probably-poorly-documented-if-at-all options.

    > 2. I need to write a "misc" module. All the examples I found are for
    > either a driver or a STREAMS module. Any ideas?

    What do you mean by a "misc" module? I gather you've already gone
    through the DDG and all that online stuff?

    rick jones

  3. Re: Writing and compiling kernel modules

    Thanks, Rick for the quick reply.

    > > I've downloaded the dummynet tree, and play with it now. 2 questions
    > > come to mind:

    > From where did you get dummynet? If from ftp.cup.hp.com, keep in mind
    > that dummynet is not exactly meant to be an exemplar of kernel modules

    Yes, I know, I'm just trying to gather as many examples as possible. If
    you have any other input to recommend, please do.

    > My personal advice would be "Don't even go there." The HP-UX kernel
    > is compiled with the HP compilers. You'd need to find some rather
    > precise translations of all the
    > kernel-specific-and-probably-poorly-documented-if-at-all options.

    I suspected that, but wanted to check with others, just in case I was
    wrong. I will take your word (and buy the compiler).

    > What do you mean by a "misc" module? I gather you've already gone
    > through the DDG and all that online stuff?

    I'm referring to HP's "Developing DLKM" issue 1.0 (and other sources as
    well): "Miscellaneous modules can implement any feature within the
    kernel". I know it uses mod_misc_opt for its mod_operations structure,
    but that's pretty much all I know. I'll keep reading, but I'd love to
    see a working sample...

    Thanks again.

  4. Re: Writing and compiling kernel modules

    Gali Work wrote:
    > I suspected that, but wanted to check with others, just in case I was
    > wrong. I will take your word (and buy the compiler).

    You might wait a bit longer for usenet propagation to reach folks who
    may have actually tried gcc for UX kernel, but yeah, having the actual
    HP compiler will probably make life much happier. There may be some
    way via the developer stuff to get a discount - at least it would be
    worth checking.

    >> What do you mean by a "misc" module? I gather you've already gone
    >> through the DDG and all that online stuff?

    > I'm referring to HP's "Developing DLKM" issue 1.0 (and other sources as
    > well): "Miscellaneous modules can implement any feature within the
    > kernel". I know it uses mod_misc_opt for its mod_operations structure,
    > but that's pretty much all I know. I'll keep reading, but I'd love to
    > see a working sample...

    Ah, well, that's gone _well_ past my expereince base

    rick