HP9000 Series 500s. Want one? - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP9000 Series 500s. Want one? - HP UX ; I have three HP9000 Series 500s available. No, they are not ones with circuit boards and wires. They are beautifully made grey models made of (I think) pewter and are about 2 1/4 inches tall. They have keyboards with keys, ...

  1. HP9000 Series 500s. Want one?

    I have three HP9000 Series 500s available. No, they are not ones with
    circuit boards and wires. They are beautifully made grey models made of (I
    think) pewter and are about 2 1/4 inches tall. They have keyboards with
    keys, a floppy disk drive and the built-in printer. They are also pretty
    heavy for the size.

    Back in the old days before I retired (days of wooden ships and iron men),
    some nut in our sales region of HP thought up a great idea. Each time a
    sales rep sold a series 500, he would get one of these models. Went over
    like a lead balloon. What salesman in his right mind would want one of
    these? They wanted $$$$$. But the support people loved them and fought over
    them. I ended up with 3. Make me an offer. I'll consider it. If you are a
    registered non-profit museum, you can have one for free.

    Oh! Somewhere I also have an HP3000 model (yes, they gave those away too)!
    It doesn't look as pretty as the 9000s because at the time the 3000s were
    just vertical towers with few distinguishing features.

    John Pezzano
    You can reply to this to email me at my "public" email or use the same
    username but igotmail.net as the address to get to my private one.

  2. Re: HP9000 Series 500s. Want one?

    On Sun, 3 Jul 2005, John Pezzano wrote:
    > I have three HP9000 Series 500s available. No, they are not ones with
    > circuit boards and wires. They are beautifully made grey models made of (I
    > think) pewter and are about 2 1/4 inches tall. They have keyboards with
    > keys, a floppy disk drive and the built-in printer. They are also pretty
    > heavy for the size.

    HP also took some of the "focus" chip set CPU's and put them into an
    acrylic cube, marked "world's first 32 bit microprocessor". At the time,
    they were export restricted.

    Ahhhh, computer lagniappe to clutter up your life ... nice.

  3. Re: HP9000 Series 500s. Want one?

    I think I have one of those somewhere too but I can't find it. I know I used
    to have it.

    It was a choice of that cheap junk or the same pay as Carly got. Boy was I
    stupid!

    JohnP

    wrote in message

    > On Sun, 3 Jul 2005, John Pezzano wrote:
    >> I have three HP9000 Series 500s available. No, they are not ones with
    >> circuit boards and wires. They are beautifully made grey models made of
    >> (I
    >> think) pewter and are about 2 1/4 inches tall. They have keyboards with
    >> keys, a floppy disk drive and the built-in printer. They are also pretty
    >> heavy for the size.
    >>

    > HP also took some of the "focus" chip set CPU's and put them into an
    > acrylic cube, marked "world's first 32 bit microprocessor". At the time,
    > they were export restricted.
    >
    > Ahhhh, computer lagniappe to clutter up your life ... nice.

  4. Re: HP9000 Series 500s. Want one?

    And I just threw out an old OB 5500 that wouldn't work. I thought *I*
    was into computer archeology.

    BTW - are you still playing fireman on the side?

+ Reply to Thread