failover without shutting down sap - HP UX

This is a discussion on failover without shutting down sap - HP UX ; Hi. I have 2 nodes and a package. Below is my output CLUSTER STATUS mycluster up NODE STATUS STATE sap_prd up running Network_Parameters: INTERFACE STATUS PATH NAME PRIMARY up 0/3/0/0 lan1 PRIMARY up 0/0/0/0 lan0 STANDBY up 0/6/0/0 lan2 PACKAGE ...

  1. failover without shutting down sap

    Hi.

    I have 2 nodes and a package. Below is my output

    CLUSTER STATUS
    mycluster up

    NODE STATUS STATE
    sap_prd up running

    Network_Parameters:
    INTERFACE STATUS PATH NAME
    PRIMARY up 0/3/0/0 lan1
    PRIMARY up 0/0/0/0 lan0
    STANDBY up 0/6/0/0 lan2

    PACKAGE STATUS STATE AUTO_RUN NODE
    cipkg up running enabled sap_prd

    Policy_Parameters:
    POLICY_NAME CONFIGURED_VALUE
    Failover configured_node
    Failback manual

    Script_Parameters:
    ITEM STATUS MAX_RESTARTS RESTARTS NAME
    Service uninitia 0 0 nfs.monitor
    Subnet up mymonitor

    Node_Switching_Parameters:
    NODE_TYPE STATUS SWITCHING NAME
    Primary up enabled sap_prd (current)
    Alternate up enabled sap_dev

    NODE STATUS STATE
    sap_dev up running

    Network_Parameters:
    INTERFACE STATUS PATH NAME
    PRIMARY up 0/2/0/0 lan1
    PRIMARY up 0/0/0/0 lan0
    STANDBY up 0/6/0/0 lan2

    Now, when i do a failover of cipkg from sap_prd to sap_dev, do i need
    to shutdown the sap_dev instance? The development instance has its own
    local set of filesystem. Therefore, when failover, my sap_prd should
    not interfere the sap_dev filesystem.

    Please advise.

  2. Re: failover without shutting down sap

    On 2005-06-21, hosea.basis@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I have 2 nodes and a package. Below is my output
    >
    > CLUSTER STATUS
    > mycluster up
    >
    > NODE STATUS STATE
    > sap_prd up running
    >
    > Network_Parameters:
    > INTERFACE STATUS PATH NAME
    > PRIMARY up 0/3/0/0 lan1
    > PRIMARY up 0/0/0/0 lan0
    > STANDBY up 0/6/0/0 lan2
    >
    > PACKAGE STATUS STATE AUTO_RUN NODE
    > cipkg up running enabled sap_prd
    >
    > Policy_Parameters:
    > POLICY_NAME CONFIGURED_VALUE
    > Failover configured_node
    > Failback manual
    >
    > Script_Parameters:
    > ITEM STATUS MAX_RESTARTS RESTARTS NAME
    > Service uninitia 0 0 nfs.monitor
    > Subnet up mymonitor
    >
    > Node_Switching_Parameters:
    > NODE_TYPE STATUS SWITCHING NAME
    > Primary up enabled sap_prd (current)
    > Alternate up enabled sap_dev
    >
    > NODE STATUS STATE
    > sap_dev up running
    >
    > Network_Parameters:
    > INTERFACE STATUS PATH NAME
    > PRIMARY up 0/2/0/0 lan1
    > PRIMARY up 0/0/0/0 lan0
    > STANDBY up 0/6/0/0 lan2
    >

    > Now, when i do a failover of cipkg from sap_prd to sap_dev, do i need
    > to shutdown the sap_dev instance? The development instance has its own
    > local set of filesystem. Therefore, when failover, my sap_prd should
    > not interfere the sap_dev filesystem.
    >
    > Please advise.

    Hey;

    Unless I'm missing it, I don't see a sap_dev "instance" running. From
    that output, it looks like you have an active/passive environment
    in which package cipkg is running on sap_prd and uses sap_dev as a
    failover node. Unless you mean there's a SAP instance running on
    sap_dev outside of MCSG.

    There are two concerns: First, ensure none of the filesystems get
    mounted to the same mount point (something you already addressed).
    Second, something you won't know until you try it, does the sap_dev
    system have sufficient resources to handle running both packages
    simultaneously?

    Assuming no naming, filesystem, or resource contentions, there should
    be nothing stopping you from running two SAP instances on the same
    system.

    HTH;

    --
    Doug O'Leary

    --------
    Senior UNIX Admin
    O'Leary Computer Enterprises
    dkoleary@olearycomputers.com (w) 630-904-6098 (c) 630-248-2749
    resume: http://home.comcast.net/~dkoleary/resume.html

  3. Re: failover without shutting down sap

    Doug O'Leary wrote:
    > On 2005-06-21, hosea.basis@gmail.com wrote:
    > >

    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > I have 2 nodes and a package. Below is my output
    > >
    > > CLUSTER STATUS
    > > mycluster up
    > >
    > > NODE STATUS STATE
    > > sap_prd up running
    > >
    > > Network_Parameters:
    > > INTERFACE STATUS PATH NAME
    > > PRIMARY up 0/3/0/0 lan1
    > > PRIMARY up 0/0/0/0 lan0
    > > STANDBY up 0/6/0/0 lan2
    > >
    > > PACKAGE STATUS STATE AUTO_RUN NODE
    > > cipkg up running enabled sap_prd
    > >
    > > Policy_Parameters:
    > > POLICY_NAME CONFIGURED_VALUE
    > > Failover configured_node
    > > Failback manual
    > >
    > > Script_Parameters:
    > > ITEM STATUS MAX_RESTARTS RESTARTS NAME
    > > Service uninitia 0 0 nfs.monitor
    > > Subnet up mymonitor
    > >
    > > Node_Switching_Parameters:
    > > NODE_TYPE STATUS SWITCHING NAME
    > > Primary up enabled sap_prd (current)
    > > Alternate up enabled sap_dev
    > >
    > > NODE STATUS STATE
    > > sap_dev up running
    > >
    > > Network_Parameters:
    > > INTERFACE STATUS PATH NAME
    > > PRIMARY up 0/2/0/0 lan1
    > > PRIMARY up 0/0/0/0 lan0
    > > STANDBY up 0/6/0/0 lan2
    > >

    > > Now, when i do a failover of cipkg from sap_prd to sap_dev, do i need
    > > to shutdown the sap_dev instance? The development instance has its own
    > > local set of filesystem. Therefore, when failover, my sap_prd should
    > > not interfere the sap_dev filesystem.
    > >
    > > Please advise.

    > Hey;

    Hi Doug.
    Thanks for replying. You are right.

    > Unless I'm missing it, I don't see a sap_dev "instance" running. From
    > that output, it looks like you have an active/passive environment
    > in which package cipkg is running on sap_prd and uses sap_dev as a
    > failover node. Unless you mean there's a SAP instance running on
    > sap_dev outside of MCSG.

    right again! There is a SAP instance development running on sap_dev.
    Therefore, my concern is that when my cipkg package fails over to
    sap_dev, it will not work. My colleague assured me that i need to
    shutdown the instance in sap_dev which is out of MCSG followed by a
    umount. However, i am confident that the filesystems mount point will
    not clash.

    > There are two concerns: First, ensure none of the filesystems get
    > mounted to the same mount point (something you already addressed).
    > Second, something you won't know until you try it, does the sap_dev
    > system have sufficient resources to handle running both packages
    > simultaneously?
    >
    > Assuming no naming, filesystem, or resource contentions, there should
    > be nothing stopping you from running two SAP instances on the same
    > system.
    >
    > HTH;
    >

    > --
    > Doug O'Leary
    >
    > --------
    > Senior UNIX Admin
    > O'Leary Computer Enterprises
    > dkoleary@olearycomputers.com (w) 630-904-6098 (c) 630-248-2749
    > resume: http://home.comcast.net/~dkoleary/resume.html

  4. Re: failover without shutting down sap

    hosea.basis@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hi.
    >
    >I have 2 nodes and a package. Below is my output
    >
    >CLUSTER STATUS
    >mycluster up
    >
    > NODE STATUS STATE
    > sap_prd up running
    >
    > Network_Parameters:
    > INTERFACE STATUS PATH NAME
    > PRIMARY up 0/3/0/0 lan1
    > PRIMARY up 0/0/0/0 lan0
    > STANDBY up 0/6/0/0 lan2
    >
    > PACKAGE STATUS STATE AUTO_RUN NODE
    > cipkg up running enabled sap_prd
    >
    > Policy_Parameters:
    > POLICY_NAME CONFIGURED_VALUE
    > Failover configured_node
    > Failback manual
    >
    > Script_Parameters:
    > ITEM STATUS MAX_RESTARTS RESTARTS NAME
    > Service uninitia 0 0 nfs.monitor
    > Subnet up mymonitor
    >
    > Node_Switching_Parameters:
    > NODE_TYPE STATUS SWITCHING NAME
    > Primary up enabled sap_prd (current)
    > Alternate up enabled sap_dev
    >
    > NODE STATUS STATE
    > sap_dev up running
    >
    > Network_Parameters:
    > INTERFACE STATUS PATH NAME
    > PRIMARY up 0/2/0/0 lan1
    > PRIMARY up 0/0/0/0 lan0
    > STANDBY up 0/6/0/0 lan2
    >

    >Now, when i do a failover of cipkg from sap_prd to sap_dev, do i need
    >to shutdown the sap_dev instance? The development instance has its own
    >local set of filesystem. Therefore, when failover, my sap_prd should
    >not interfere the sap_dev filesystem.
    >
    >Please advise.

    Should be OK, provided sap_dev has enough resources to run both
    instances and there is no clash of variables, instance names, ports,
    etc.

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell |
    | |