HP MC/SG cluster question for RAC and LDAP - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP MC/SG cluster question for RAC and LDAP - HP UX ; Hi, all I am a newbie on MC/SG. I just wondering whether the following configuraion can work. I have 2 HP9000 nodes running HP-UX 11.11. We wanna setup Oracle 9.2.0.5 RAC database and Novell eDirectory 8.7.3 on these two boxes. ...

  1. HP MC/SG cluster question for RAC and LDAP

    Hi, all
    I am a newbie on MC/SG. I just wondering whether the following
    configuraion can work.

    I have 2 HP9000 nodes running HP-UX 11.11. We wanna setup Oracle
    9.2.0.5 RAC database and Novell eDirectory 8.7.3 on these two boxes.
    (1) Oracle suggest to run MC/SG extension for RAC for their database.
    (2) Novell suggest to cluster the IP address only. They suggest not
    to failover their applications, make them replicate and recieve LDAP
    connection on virtual IP address.
    Can this configuration work simultaneously.

    Also we have another two HP9000 boxes, which run clustered Informix
    database. We just curious about can these two boxes run the desiored
    Oracle RAC and Novell eDirectory simultaneously.

    Attached is the response from Novell support forum.
    eDir, not being cluster-aware, has high availability natively because
    it
    has multiple replicas of its partition(s). To make an application
    server
    (or anything else) point to multiple boxes, then, create a NetWare (OS)

    cluster. The boxes will not "fail over" eDir like they may with
    Apache,
    storage, dhcp, etc., but with complete replicas on each server in the
    cluster, the box with the clustered IP address will respond to the
    requests
    that make it to that box.
    Now that I turn my brain back on I am realizing that you are not
    running
    NetWare OS (I have a cold...brain no worky) but I'm guessing that
    shouldn't
    matter as long as you can do a regular cluster just with the IP
    addresses.
    I know in Linux you can cluster boxes for high-availability but I have

    never done it myself. Once you do it in HP-UX and have them not only
    with
    their own IP addresses but with the clustered IP address the cluster
    should
    work out which box receives the responses. Maybe you can even convince
    the
    cluster to forward to both boxes so you can have load balancing along
    with
    the high availability.
    To summarize, if you can work out the clustering eDir will work
    wherever
    you put it. It responds to requests once they are there but does not
    "fail
    over" like most clustering things. All you need to do is figure out
    the
    *nix side of things to make the clustering work for the entire box.
    Disclaimer: I've never used HP-UX or set up a cluster, but I've read a
    bit
    on the latter topic.

  2. Re: HP MC/SG cluster question for RAC and LDAP

    "komodo" wrote in message
    news:1118729888.905360.274520@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi, all
    > I am a newbie on MC/SG. I just wondering whether the following
    > configuraion can work.
    >
    > I have 2 HP9000 nodes running HP-UX 11.11. We wanna setup Oracle
    > 9.2.0.5 RAC database and Novell eDirectory 8.7.3 on these two boxes.
    > (1) Oracle suggest to run MC/SG extension for RAC for their database.
    > (2) Novell suggest to cluster the IP address only. They suggest not
    > to failover their applications, make them replicate and recieve LDAP
    > connection on virtual IP address.
    > Can this configuration work simultaneously.

    Assuming the the nodes in question have enough "grunt" (CPU, Memory, IO,
    etc) to handle both applications simultaneously, then yes MC/SG can be
    configured the way you want.

    Simply configure two packages:
    1) Oracle. Configure as per Oracle suggestions.
    2) eDir. This package contains only a virtual IP address which can be
    swapped over as required. You might want to consider putting some "resource"
    monitors in this package that test if the local eDir instance is "alive" as
    this will allow automatic failover.

    Another option for eDir may be to simply use DNS to switch applications to
    the two IP addresses as required. You can get loadsharing this way (Round
    Robin DNS), and may get sufficient resilancy (clients retry until they get a
    "live" eDir IP), although DNS Caching can play havoc.

    > Also we have another two HP9000 boxes, which run clustered Informix
    > database. We just curious about can these two boxes run the desiored
    > Oracle RAC and Novell eDirectory simultaneously.

    Assuming that these other two boxes have (1) MC/SG installed and (2) enough
    "grunt" to run all three applications simultaneously, then yes, you can
    configure MC/SG to run with three (or even more) package sets.

  3. Re: HP MC/SG cluster question for RAC and LDAP

    Thank you for your expert.

    I am still wondering how to make two eDirs replicate with each other,
    because they each have their local directory database. It might be a
    question more suitable to post to novell support forum. Howerver,
    novell guys are really not familiar with MC/SG. The question is:
    (1) The virtual IP address might be only active on one box, Can the two
    LDAP both successfully bind to it?
    (2) If I bind LDAP service to vitual IP address, and at the same time,
    can I bind the replication service to the host real IP address on two
    boxes so that two Directory Server can talk to each other?

    Thanks

  4. Re: HP MC/SG cluster question for RAC and LDAP

    "komodo" wrote in message
    news:1118969657.762144.150240@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Thank you for your expert.
    >
    > I am still wondering how to make two eDirs replicate with each other,
    > because they each have their local directory database. It might be a
    > question more suitable to post to novell support forum. Howerver,
    > novell guys are really not familiar with MC/SG. The question is:
    > (1) The virtual IP address might be only active on one box, Can the two
    > LDAP both successfully bind to it?
    > (2) If I bind LDAP service to vitual IP address, and at the same time,
    > can I bind the replication service to the host real IP address on two
    > boxes so that two Directory Server can talk to each other?
    >
    > Thanks

    Never used eDir, so you might need to ask elsewhere about specifics on that
    product.

    With MC/SG installed you will have three IP addresses. Each host has a real
    IP address, and then there is a virtual (floating) IP address.

    Setup eDir on the two hosts using just the real IP addresses. Replication
    should be setup using only the real ip addresse. If there is somewhere in
    the eDir configuration to specify a local ip address to bind to for client
    connections, make sure this is blank, or 0.0.0.0 or some other settings that
    means "all local interfaces". This means that (hopefully) it will listen for
    incoming connections on all IP addresses assigned to the host, which will
    include the floating ip address (if it is active on that host).

    Clients can then talk to the eDir servers using:
    real ip 1 -> connect to host 1
    real ip 2 -> connect to host 2
    virtual ip -> connect to active host. Note that is will not load share.

+ Reply to Thread