Possible to rescue an old 745i/100? - HP UX

This is a discussion on Possible to rescue an old 745i/100? - HP UX ; I've recently signed on with a callcenter in the IT department. I've been slowly garnering knowledge about the particular hardware we use here (in this particular case, a Mosaix dialer with an HP B2600 at its core). However, we also ...

  1. Possible to rescue an old 745i/100?

    I've recently signed on with a callcenter in the IT department. I've
    been slowly garnering knowledge about the particular hardware we use
    here (in this particular case, a Mosaix dialer with an HP B2600 at its
    core). However, we also have an older model, with a pair of 745i/100
    Industrial Workstations that had been used in it. I am trying to get
    either one of these old machines to boot- one of them (the one that I
    can actually get anything on the video card) boots to the system
    console, with the 8 yellow fkey-blocks onscreen- however, it doesn't go
    further (i.e. there is no boot status text of any kind). I am trying to
    get it running so we can install it in the old dialer system once more,
    but am unsure as to how that could be done- neither of these machines
    are supplied with a floppy or CD-rom, and their tape drives are bad
    (hence the replacement). Is there a way to make these systems bootable
    once more, or are we better off purchasing another used? Or, is there
    somewhere one can acquire HP/UX 9.0 installation media (as we still have
    the license certificate)?

  2. Re: Possible to rescue an old 745i/100?

    In article <6yore.65$j85.3884@news.uswest.net>, Gary Helriegel wrote:
    > I've recently signed on with a callcenter in the IT department. I've
    > been slowly garnering knowledge about the particular hardware we use
    > here (in this particular case, a Mosaix dialer with an HP B2600 at its
    > core).

    > However, we also have an older model, with a pair of 745i/100
    > Industrial Workstations that had been used in it. I am trying to get
    > either one of these old machines to boot- one of them (the one that I
    > can actually get anything on the video card) boots to the system
    > console, with the 8 yellow fkey-blocks onscreen- however, it doesn't go
    > further (i.e. there is no boot status text of any kind).

    That might indicate that it has the console on a serial port. I've run
    into the occasional newer workstation that does that too if the console
    is on serial and X isn't configured to start at all, even with the
    system in perfect working condition. (As a matter of fact, I know people
    who set them up that way, it makes a lot of sense for their purpose.)

    I've never seen one of the Industrial Workstations though.

    --
    Mikko Nahkola
    #include

  3. Re: Possible to rescue an old 745i/100?

    > > However, we also have an older model, with a pair of 745i/100
    > > Industrial Workstations that had been used in it. I am trying to get
    > > either one of these old machines to boot- one of them (the one that I
    > > can actually get anything on the video card) boots to the system
    > > console, with the 8 yellow fkey-blocks onscreen- however, it doesn't go
    > > further (i.e. there is no boot status text of any kind).

    > That might indicate that it has the console on a serial port.

    Agreed, we had one in stock last year with the same problem. A 9600 baud
    serial console is the way forwards.

    Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

  4. Re: Possible to rescue an old 745i/100?

    John Burns wrote:
    >>>However, we also have an older model, with a pair of 745i/100
    >>>Industrial Workstations that had been used in it. I am trying to get
    >>>either one of these old machines to boot- one of them (the one that I
    >>>can actually get anything on the video card) boots to the system
    >>>console, with the 8 yellow fkey-blocks onscreen- however, it doesn't go
    >>>further (i.e. there is no boot status text of any kind).

    >>That might indicate that it has the console on a serial port.

    > Agreed, we had one in stock last year with the same problem. A 9600 baud
    > serial console is the way forwards.

    To force it to the console make sure the keybrd is unplugged then you
    should get an ISL> prompt. I worked on that stuff many years ago, can
    you say "ruggedized systems", long time ago in a land far away...

  5. Re: Possible to rescue an old 745i/100?

    Gary Helriegel wrote:

    > I've recently signed on with a callcenter in the IT department. I've
    > been slowly garnering knowledge about the particular hardware we use
    > here (in this particular case, a Mosaix dialer with an HP B2600 at its
    > core). However, we also have an older model, with a pair of 745i/100
    > Industrial Workstations that had been used in it. I am trying to get
    > either one of these old machines to boot- one of them (the one that I
    > can actually get anything on the video card) boots to the system
    > console, with the 8 yellow fkey-blocks onscreen- however, it doesn't go
    > further (i.e. there is no boot status text of any kind). I am trying to
    > get it running so we can install it in the old dialer system once more,
    > but am unsure as to how that could be done- neither of these machines
    > are supplied with a floppy or CD-rom, and their tape drives are bad
    > (hence the replacement). Is there a way to make these systems bootable
    > once more, or are we better off purchasing another used? Or, is there
    > somewhere one can acquire HP/UX 9.0 installation media (as we still have
    > the license certificate)?

    See http://www.openpa.net/ (your machine is at
    http://www.openpa.net/systems/pace.html) There you can see what you have. As far
    as I can see, you can fit it with HP-UX, NeXTSTEP, Linux (try Debian or Gentoo)
    or even OpenBSD.

    For the HP-UX 10.x and upwards, the license has changed: As far as I know, for
    workstations the cpu is the license: if you have a pa-risc workstation, you have
    a license. Now it is up to you to get your hands on installation media.

    If you are not hooked to hp-ux, I'd go for linux. Check Debian or Gentoo, they
    also support PARisc architecture.

    Success with it

    CBee

+ Reply to Thread