Old root password - HP UX

This is a discussion on Old root password - HP UX ; Hello. I've lost root password, but a have access to system from another user who id = 0 . When I try change root password, system ask to old root password. What can I manage witch it ??? Thanks for ...

  1. Old root password

    Hello.

    I've lost root password, but a have access
    to system from another user who id = 0 . When I try
    change root password, system ask to old root password.
    What can I manage witch it ???

    Thanks for help

    GG

  2. Re: Old root password

    > What can I manage witch it ???

    boot to single user mode and edit /etc/passwd by hand.

    > Thanks for help
    >
    > GG

  3. Re: Old root password

    Ok I've done :-);

    Użytkownik "GG" napisał w wiadomości
    > Hello.
    >
    > I've lost root password, but a have access
    > to system from another user who id = 0 . When I try
    > change root password, system ask to old root password.
    > What can I manage witch it ???
    >
    > Thanks for help
    >
    > GG

  4. Re: Old root password

    On 2005-06-03, Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski wrote:

    > boot to single user mode and edit /etc/passwd by hand.

    If he's already got access to a uid 0 account, why would he have
    to boot to single user mode? Just login as that use and edit the
    file... (or /tcb/files/auth/r/root, if in trusted mode).

    Doug

    --
    --------
    Senior UNIX Admin