Problem connecting 10BASE-5 Lan Connection to 715/64 - HP UX

This is a discussion on Problem connecting 10BASE-5 Lan Connection to 715/64 - HP UX ; Hi, I am trying to get a LAN interface up and running using HPUX 10.20 on a 715/64 box. I am using the built in LAN card by connecting a 10BASE-5 cable to the AUI port that connects to a ...

  1. Problem connecting 10BASE-5 Lan Connection to 715/64

    Hi,

    I am trying to get a LAN interface up and running using HPUX 10.20 on a
    715/64 box. I am using the built in LAN card by connecting a 10BASE-5
    cable to the AUI port that connects to a 4 Port MAU.

    When the cable is physically connected to the box, the MAU which is
    self powering comes up. I can then go into SAM and configure the IP
    address. The address gets configured OK, but a few seconds later the
    following error message appears

    LAN/9000 Netowrking
    Network NS_LS_DRIVER Disaster 1029, pid[ICS]
    Lan card on interface unit 0 has network problem. Check cable for
    possible disconnection

    Going back into SAM shows the card as unconfigured. I have a second NIC
    in the 715 using the EISA slot and I am able to configure that fine
    without problem. When I run lanscan it shows the hardware interface
    being up for the built-in interface but down for the software side.

    The driver for both cards is lan2 according to ioscan, I think it is
    valid for both cards to use the same driver. The MAU is labelled as an
    IEEEE 802.3 box, so I have tried configuring the card as IEEEE 802.3,
    IEEE 802.3/Ethernet and just ethernet but the same results occur.

    This system did previously worked, the hard disc went down and needed
    rebuilding (customer had no backups). HP reinstalled HP-UX, but since
    then I have failed to get the internal LAN card to work

    Any help would be much appreciated

    Regards

  2. Re: Problem connecting 10BASE-5 Lan Connection to 715/64

    cbamber@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am trying to get a LAN interface up and running using HPUX 10.20
    > on a 715/64 box. I am using the built in LAN card by connecting a
    > 10BASE-5 cable to the AUI port that connects to a 4 Port MAU.

    It has been a loooong time - 10BASE-5? Basically an AUI cable right?

    > When the cable is physically connected to the box, the MAU which is
    > self powering comes up. I can then go into SAM and configure the IP
    > address. The address gets configured OK, but a few seconds later the
    > following error message appears

    > LAN/9000 Netowrking
    > Network NS_LS_DRIVER Disaster 1029, pid[ICS]
    > Lan card on interface unit 0 has network problem. Check cable for
    > possible disconnection

    > Going back into SAM shows the card as unconfigured. I have a second
    > NIC in the 715 using the EISA slot and I am able to configure that
    > fine without problem. When I run lanscan it shows the hardware
    > interface being up for the built-in interface but down for the
    > software side.

    IIRC that suggests the card has not been ifconfig'd.

    > The driver for both cards is lan2 according to ioscan, I think it is
    > valid for both cards to use the same driver.

    Yes. In this case the "lan2" driver will drive those HP NICs (core or
    add-on) based on Intel 82596/82596 cells. (No, it will not drive a
    "generic" Intel 82596 NIC - the lan2 driver looks for HP subvendor
    IDs)

    > The MAU is labelled as an IEEEE 802.3 box, so I have tried
    > configuring the card as IEEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3/Ethernet and just
    > ethernet but the same results occur.

    > This system did previously worked, the hard disc went down and
    > needed rebuilding (customer had no backups). HP reinstalled HP-UX,
    > but since then I have failed to get the internal LAN card to work

    The AUI cable and everything else you are using are the ones from when
    things worked? Is there another, similar system on which those peices
    can be verified?

    It may be a long shot, but perhaps whatever took-out the disc also
    affected the onboard LAN? You might also try some other
    tranceiver/network flavors on the core interface to see if they
    come-up OK.

    Might also make sure that all the related patches are installed. That
    may not have happened after the reinstall.

    If the box needs two NICs, you could I suppose try adding another EISA
    NIC - I cannot recall if there was only one EISA slot in a 715/64.
    One of the old, EISA form-factor, dual-port, HSC (GSC+) 10/100BT
    interfaces may "work" in that system although I'm not sure it was ever
    "supported."

    rick jones

  3. Re: Problem connecting 10BASE-5 Lan Connection to 715/64

    cbamber@gmail.com wrote:

    > ... HPUX 10.20 ... 715/64 box. I am using the built
    > in LAN card by connecting a 10BASE-5 cable to the
    > AUI port that connects to a 4 Port MAU.

    The supported MAU (Media Access Unit) for that connection
    would have been the discontinued HP 30241A, which is a
    "single port" unit (single AUI port on one end, and
    single vampire tap on top for the thickLAN).

    What does "4 Port" mean? What is this MAU you a using?

    30241A units do appear in the secondary market. Note,
    however, when searching, that for some reason the text
    string "30241A" seems to appear in many random .eps
    binary image files (!)

    > I have a second NIC in the 715 using the EISA slot
    > and I am able to configure that fine without problem.

    This would be an HP 25567A, 25567B, A4308A card,
    or something else?

    You might consider using something other than 10Base5
    to the card, and use an external media converter.

    Rick Jones wrote:

    > It has been a loooong time - 10BASE-5?
    > Basically an AUI cable right?

    10Base5 is "thickLAN", terminated with N-connectors.
    It's what used to be used for facility backbones prior
    to fiber, as it could handle longer runs than 10Base2
    thinLAN, and the vampire taps allowed branches at
    pretty much arbitrary locations (and no re-termination).

    > I cannot recall if there was only one EISA slot in
    > a 715/64.

    One EISA, one GSC (EISA-FF), co-located. They share the
    same bulkhead. Using one card type excludes using the other.

    > One of the old, EISA form-factor, dual-port,
    > HSC (GSC+) 10/100BT interfaces may "work" in that
    > system although I'm not sure it was ever "supported."

    The single-port J3515A and dual-port J3516A GSC 100BaseT
    cards were not considered supported on anything earlier
    than B/C/J-Class workstations. The 715/64 itself, of
    course, is long out of support life, so the issue would
    be "does it work?", and I have no guesses there.