PC Recovery - Files Transfer Wizard ? Move ? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on PC Recovery - Files Transfer Wizard ? Move ? - Hewlett Packard ; Follow up to prior: Used HP PC recovery on my laptop to reinstall XP MCE. I choose to leave old data intact ( no format ) and just reinstall XP (since I have lots of stuff on there). My new ...

  1. PC Recovery - Files Transfer Wizard ? Move ?

    Follow up to prior:

    Used HP PC recovery on my laptop to reinstall XP MCE. I choose to leave
    old data intact ( no format ) and just reinstall XP (since I have lots of
    stuff on there). My new account name = Owner.
    After recovery I see a few issues I had not anticipated
    and would like feedback from those familiar with HP PC recovery.
    I couldn't find answers to these specifics at Microsoft nor HP.

    Prior to PC recovery, I ran Files Transfer wizard to external USB
    drive (just in case). It backed up 35.5 GB - that's right -
    LOTS of video, pictures. Now XP reinstalled and I can
    see old account folders/files but since XP only sees the Bob
    folder as a folder and NOT an account I can't log into
    that account.

    So, what's the best/easiest way to straighten out the file situation? I'd
    like all of the files that live in the BOB account to appear in Owner's
    " My Documents, " My videos", "My Pictures " etc.

    I do not have a spare 35.5 GB to leave as-is and do a restore from Wizard
    to Owner. I could delete the Bob folder
    and restore - is that the right way to do it vs. trying to salvage what's
    already on there ? I just figure that since the files are currently on the
    drive, I'm deleting - then restoring the same files (35.5gb). Also if the
    is a file or two that did NOT get included in Transfer Zip files, if I do
    not delete folder first, I will still have a copy. To leave data on the
    drive as-is, could I " Move them" from ' Bob' to ' Owner '?
    Opening the Bob Folder and select all and MOVE ?? I see issues with that.
    Would ownership still be Bob and not Owner ? Relative shortcuts to "bob
    folder' wouldn't work in subfolders etc . BUT it would get all of my
    media,office files there. Also I read that after PC Recovery, even though
    apps are still in folders in Program Files, they "are not installed" and
    need to be reinstalled ( to insert the info into registry).

    What do you suggest ?
    Delete Bob (35.5gb) ,
    delete old apps folders ( assuming I have no
    customized/saved files in each folder),
    defrag,
    restore (35.5gb) from Wizard ?
    Or better alternative ?

    This is not life or death. I just hadn't used HP PC recovery before and
    reviewing best way to go.
    I THOUGHT PC recovery would save accounts /logon info, but since now no
    Admin acct etc, I see issues. Worst case I can reinstall XP from DVD and
    then use Transfer wizard to get my stuff back on there but trying to find
    'easiest' way to recover a user's info. Family has HP laptops too and
    using this "opportunity" to learn about PC recovery. It might be that the
    best way is to backup, wipe, then reinstall to factory ( reformat), then
    use wizard. That would get me an admin acct as well as a Bob account -
    just checking with folks that may have done this before: can I leave all
    35.5 gb on drive AND correct ownership issues ? If 'Bob account' resolved,
    then I'd delete all other accounts and create a new Admin account.

    Thanks for any feedback from experienced folks.

  2. Re: PC Recovery - Files Transfer Wizard ? Move ?

    - Bobb - wrote:
> [...]
    > reviewing best way to go.
    > I THOUGHT PC recovery would save accounts /logon info, but since now no
    > Admin acct etc, I see issues. Worst case I can reinstall XP from DVD
    > and then use Transfer wizard to get my stuff back on there but trying to
    > find 'easiest' way to recover a user's info. Family has HP laptops too
    > and using this "opportunity" to learn about PC recovery. It might be
    > that the best way is to backup, wipe, then reinstall to factory (
    > reformat), then use wizard. That would get me an admin acct as well as a
    > Bob account - just checking with folks that may have done this before:
    > can I leave all 35.5 gb on drive AND correct ownership issues ? If 'Bob
    > account' resolved, then I'd delete all other accounts and create a new
    > Admin account.
    >
    > Thanks for any feedback from experienced folks.

    N-O-O-O-O !!! You have to think like Microsoft and think only about
    yourself. Same with HP. So the recovery fixes the OS up, and makes a
    mess of all else.

    If you can't rename the "Owner" account to "Bob", can create several
    accounts with administrative privileges, if that helps you.

    I have not used the transfer wizard, so I can't comment on it, except to
    say that if you saved the entire hard drive contents as the 35.5GB, you
    will still have to reinstall all the programs again, due to the design
    of Windows and its infernal registry, which do not EVER consider
    recovery of programs beyond what is delivered as part of Windows
    itself... Ben Myers

+ Reply to Thread