PC Recovery - XP MCE accounts ? Procedure warning - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on PC Recovery - XP MCE accounts ? Procedure warning - Hewlett Packard ; I have 2 yr old Dv6113US laptop with XP MCE. Used PC Recovery to reinstall without reformatting ( to preserve the data on disc). Went fine and when rebooting it asked me for Username I entered my 'old username'. Bad ...

  1. PC Recovery - XP MCE accounts ? Procedure warning

    I have 2 yr old Dv6113US laptop with XP MCE. Used PC Recovery to reinstall
    without reformatting ( to preserve the data on disc). Went fine and when
    rebooting it asked me for Username
    I entered my 'old username'. Bad move.
    I thought when it prompted for username it was THEN gonna ask me for
    password for my original account.
    Wrong - it created a new account with same name.

    In Docs and Settings I now see
    Administrator
    and
    Bob
    (those were the old accounts)
    and now
    "Bob.laptop "
    But just one login account in User accounts - Bob - which is really
    Bob.laptop

    HP specific QUESTIONS:
    1. Even though old accounts still "on the drive" XP doesn't "know about
    them". So I cannot reuse those accounts ?
    If so, I'm very surprised that it didn't prompt for admin account password
    ( like actual XP install would)
    I don't mind / saved all files prior to recovery , but I just thought
    "Recovery" meant recover.

    2. Disc mgmt now shows a 1 gb "unknown partition" at start of disk. I
    don't THINK it was there before but it must have been - right ? SP3
    failed a few times and once I saw it extracting to a drive I:, which I do
    not have - maybe used a part of disk for virtual ? Where'd the space come
    from ? Should I delete partition ?

    3. During one reboot , before BIOS message, I pressed Quickplay key and I
    saw
    " The last attempt to boot failed..."
    " Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu"
    " Continue"

    Which to choose ?
    A Google search showed many msft hits and told me to choose Delete. I did
    so. What did that do?
    Is THAT the 1gb partition ?

    =========
    Note - when restoring and you want to try another restore point, make sure
    to UNDO LAST RESTORE prior to restoring again - otherwise it creates
    duplicates of files/folders leaving you with
    filename.xyz
    filename.xyz (2)
    filename.xyz (3) etc
    AND filling up your drive with unwanted files.

    background:
    I have a DV6113US laptop that got hosed when I installed AVG8 a while
    back. ( Some XP functions/services showed errors, network - advanced tab
    which normally shows firewall info, showed WMI corrupted) ... ). I
    uninstalled it - and FORGOT to install an alternative ! While on a trip,
    at hotel I was copying files from camera to PC and - unnoticed - connected
    to wireless. I opened IE and got infected with something - lots of pop-ups
    to load some AV app... I cleaned pc up a bit and went about my trip.
    Error log showed a few items but nothing serious.

    When I got home, I tried a few things to correct WMI errors and then
    figured - let me install SP3 and maybe that will 'fix it'. I did so and -
    bingo - network tab works OK. Great. I later checked event log and saw
    lots of errors ( different too numerous to mention). I started
    troubleshooting them and making progress, but tedious. One of the errors
    was related to XP MCE and msft recommended a few specific updates. After
    that event log showed MCE player corrupt . Rathole approaching.

    I used XP System Restore to go back to restore point previous to AVG8
    install. The procedure went fine and when done it showed that one "file
    had to be renamed to preserve .." and I ended up with an AVI and an AVI
    (2) folder on my desktop ( the AVI (2) was a copy). Rebooted and after
    trying a while I was aware that some processes/services didn't work/ start
    on their own ( COM+ , Removable Storage etc) . SP3 install failed.

    Chose Bootlog from boot menu - no bootlog.txt anywhere !! ??

    Did another System Restore back to earlier date - still issues. Reboot,
    log on as admin ( in case account issue), Restore again. Now when it
    showed "file had to be renamed to preserve .." I clicked 'Details' box and
    now saw 50-75 files folders with filename.(2), (3), (4).
    I thought if I restored to Sept 15 , then Sept 8, Aug 30 , I would be
    overwriting the earlier data. WRONG .So each time I restored to earlier
    date when Restore put back "as it was then", it made new versions of
    files - renaming what was on the drive. So, I started with a pothole and
    now have a pit. Well, I crossed my fingers and tried it again. I chose "
    UNDO LAST CHANGE" checking to see if I could backtrack. The restore
    screens looked as is it was fine. 45 minutes later, when I clicked
    continue - thinking it worked fine, I got a screen telling me "not enough
    room on drive". ( That's when I noticed the dup versions using up disk
    space). Boot XP again - log in. Delete stuff to make room. Restore again "
    UNDO LAST CHANGE" . 45 minutes later - " Restore point corrupt , choose
    another". Except no valid dates offered. Calendar only shows November and
    no valid restore point as an option. After a day of trying, I used
    transfer wizard to copy all my stuff to external drive and used PC
    Recovery - now the account questions. HP website vague about all of this.
    This isn't an important pc for me - just use while traveling, but this has
    been a learning experience - not a good one. I couldn't find any
    documentation for screen shots/walk-throughs/ explanations of choices. If
    anyone has pointers I'd appreciate them.

  2. Re: PC Recovery - XP MCE accounts ? Procedure warning

    - Bobb - wrote:
> [...]
    > continue - thinking it worked fine, I got a screen telling me "not
    > enough room on drive". ( That's when I noticed the dup versions using up
    > disk space). Boot XP again - log in. Delete stuff to make room. Restore
    > again " UNDO LAST CHANGE" . 45 minutes later - " Restore point corrupt ,
    > choose another". Except no valid dates offered. Calendar only shows
    > November and no valid restore point as an option. After a day of trying,
    > I used transfer wizard to copy all my stuff to external drive and used
    > PC Recovery - now the account questions. HP website vague about all of
    > this. This isn't an important pc for me - just use while traveling, but
    > this has been a learning experience - not a good one. I couldn't find
    > any documentation for screen shots/walk-throughs/ explanations of
    > choices. If anyone has pointers I'd appreciate them.

    Quick! Just in case, burn yourself a copy of Petter Nordahl-Hagen's
    wonderful "NT" Password Editor. Indispensible in messing around with
    NTFS userids and passwords.

    http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

    Next, get yourself the tools to create your own Ultimate Boot CD, which
    can be used to manipulate NTFS folders and stuff without concern for the
    usual NTFS proections... Ben Myers

  3. Re: PC Recovery - XP MCE accounts ? Procedure warning

    I did so .
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread