Re: OT: Civil Discourse - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: Civil Discourse - Hewlett Packard ; Gosh y'all. I have been a list member for a long time but a couple of years ago reached the point where I stopped regularly following the postings here. That saddens me because HP3000-L for many years was a community ...

  1. Re: OT: Civil Discourse

    Gosh y'all.
    I have been a list member for a long time but a couple of years
    ago reached the point where I stopped regularly following the
    postings here. That saddens me because HP3000-L for many years
    was a community where I could not only find quality assistance
    for work-related questions but could find enjoyment from quality
    off-topic postings. I really believe that the non-3k
    contributions to the list from back then were a wonderful bonus
    and I miss them. Folks felt free to contribute subjects from
    astronomy to photography to biology. Their HP3000-L community
    contributions were thoughtfully written and showed not only a
    facility with their subject but a love for the subject. Also,
    some folks possess such a skill for writing that regardless of the
    topic of their posting, their writing was a joy to read. I
    considered each off-topic contribution as a chance to learn and
    share in the enjoyment that folks routinely conveyed in their
    writing. Regretfully, over the last few years, it seems that both
    joy and thought have been replaced by barbs and ad hominems in
    crudely worded postings containing little evidence of either
    measured wording or subject proficiency. I do not believe that
    this type of posting actually adds to the value of the list,
    rather I see them as draining the essence from what was once a
    wonderful place to visit. So, I am thankful that I was a list
    member back then. I am thankful for the chance to be exposed to
    concepts such as pleiotropy and I am grateful for the wonderful
    guidance while switching from film to digital photography. For
    those of you unfamiliar with how the community functioned back
    then and how quality off-topic contributions to the list created
    such a value, please read through the archives.
    Chip

  2. Re: OT: Civil Discourse

    My wife showed me this. I offer it to the HP3000-L as an example of someonereaching out and promoting reconciliation.

    > November 5, 2008
    > From 52 to 48 with love
    > i would love to have a place for obama supporters, mccain
    > supporters and supporters of third parties (over 1%) to
    > reach out in a gesture of reconciliation...
    >
    > simple messages from individuals.
    >
    > perhaps it is naive. the differences are real, i know. but
    > we have to repair the damage done from this election cycle
    > somehow...
    >
    > the fringes (all of them) have been allowed to dominate our
    > conversations for too long. to create a cycle of hate,
    > ill-will and revenge.
    > it's a tough and delicate challenge - if you want to try it
    > - send a pic of you with a sign to ze@zefrank.com
    > maybe it works, maybe not - i know it won't speak to many :
    > but i think we should try, and decide for ourselves
    >
    > http://www.zefrank.com/from52to48withlove/

    Patrick Santucci
    Oracle Database Administrator
    HP-UX Systems Admin