Quick Question IRT QEDIT - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Quick Question IRT QEDIT - Hewlett Packard ; I have a file where I want to change all the text to UPPERCASE. Is there an easy command / change / modify / ???? that will do this? Thanks -Paul * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list ...

  1. Quick Question IRT QEDIT

    I have a file where I want to change all the text to UPPERCASE.

    Is there an easy command / change / modify / ???? that will do this?

    Thanks -Paul

  2. Re: Quick Question IRT QEDIT

    Paul,

    two possible approaches come to my mind, even if without QEDIT...

    :xeq /bin/tr &
    : "'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz' 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'" OUT

    :xeq /bin/awk &
    : "'{print toupper($0)}'" OUT

    The two syntax examples are for using the Posix tools from the MPE
    prompt and assume the input file is named IN. The output will be to
    a TEMP file named OUT, so you may want to :SAVE OUT afterwards.

    (The long lines have been wrapped with & continuation for readability).

    The syntax for using tr and awk from the shell is pretty similar.
    Just omit the xeq command and the extra pair of " qoute characters.

    Lars.

  3. Re: Quick Question IRT QEDIT

    I had not thought about using the Posix/UNIX tools. I must admit, I
    wound up ftping the file off the machine,
    bringing it up in my normal editor, then sending it back. That took
    about 90 seconds.

    I have got to figure out how to get Samba running on Telzy.

    Or if I had a C compiler, I could try to port THE over.

    -Paul

    On Nov 9, 2008, at 3:35 AM, Lars Appel wrote:

    > Paul,
    >
    > two possible approaches come to my mind, even if without QEDIT...
    >
    > :xeq /bin/tr &
    > : "'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz' 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'"
    > >OUT

    > :xeq /bin/awk &
    > : "'{print toupper($0)}'" OUT
    >
    > The two syntax examples are for using the Posix tools from the MPE
    > prompt and assume the input file is named IN. The output will be to
    > a TEMP file named OUT, so you may want to :SAVE OUT afterwards.
    >
    > (The long lines have been wrapped with & continuation for
    > readability).
    >
    > The syntax for using tr and awk from the shell is pretty similar.
    > Just omit the xeq command and the extra pair of " qoute characters.
    >
    > Lars.

  4. Re: Quick Question IRT QEDIT

    --- On Sun, 11/9/08, Paul Raulerson wrote:

    Or if I had a C compiler, I could try to port THE over.

    ************************************

    http://www.allegro.com/gcc/gccfaq.html

    -Craig

  5. Re: Quick Question IRT QEDIT

    Fcopy from=foo;to=foo2;new;upshift
    *UPSHIFT* converts lowercase Roman alphabetic characters to uppercase

    On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Paul Raulerson wrote:

    > I have a file where I want to change all the text to UPPERCASE.
    >
    > Is there an easy command / change / modify / ???? that will do this?
    >
    > Thanks -Paul

  6. Re: GNU gcc -- was: Quick Question IRT QEDIT

    Craig wrote:
    > http://www.allegro.com/gcc/gccfaq.html

    Maybe I did not look carefully enough, but I somehow
    missed to find the download location in above page...

    so here it is...
    http://jazz.external.hp.com/src/gnu/gnuframe.html

    Lars.