Broken HP 49g+ - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Broken HP 49g+ - Hewlett Packard ; Hello, I updated my 49g+, but after update I saw just: FLASH NEED UPDATE. So I took SD card and copy files EqnData.lib, EqnLib.lib and 4950_92.bin. Now I see NO SCRIPT FILE (1GB SD,FAT32) or NO CARD,OR ERROR (16MB SB, ...

  1. Broken HP 49g+

    Hello, I updated my 49g+, but after update I saw just: FLASH NEED
    UPDATE. So I took SD card and copy files EqnData.lib, EqnLib.lib and
    4950_92.bin. Now I see NO SCRIPT FILE (1GB SD,FAT32) or NO CARD,OR
    ERROR (16MB SB, "only" FAT). Please help me.

    P.S.: Somewhere I found, that must be file "upgrade.scp" on SD card,
    but I can't find it anywhere. If you have it, please send it to
    chlumsky.petr@gmail.com.

  2. Re: Broken HP 49g+

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 05:24:07 -0600, Petr wrote:

    > I updated my 49g+, but after update I saw just: FLASH NEED UPDATE.
    > So I took SD card and copy files EqnData.lib, EqnLib.lib and
    > 4950_92.bin. Now I see NO SCRIPT FILE (1GB SD,FAT32) or NO CARD,OR
    > ERROR (16MB SB, "only" FAT).
    >
    > P.S.: Somewhere I found, that must be file "upgrade.scp" on SD card,
    > but I can't find it anywhere.

    Not in the "zip" containing the other files,
    per instructions in additional file "readme_zip.rtf"?

    For example, this one:
    http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6484
    http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/pc/rom/hp49gp209.zip

    Or, you can put the SD card back into your computer,
    and use "Notepad" to create a one-line file
    named "update.scp" (NOT "upgrade.scp")
    which contains only the file name of the ROM "bin" file,
    terminated by a return/newline, e.g.:

    4950_92.bin

    After a successful ROM update,
    be sure to delete any old Equation libraries
    (L226 and L227) from flash (port 2),
    then copy the new replacement libraries (now separate files)
    from SD card (port 3) to port 2,
    because old libraries, which were previously
    built into older ROM update files instead of separate,
    may otherwise cause crashes.

    Eric: Please change "upgrade.scp" to "update.scp"
    on http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/pc/rom/ - thanks!

    [r->] [OFF]

  3. Re: Broken HP 49g+

    [additional detail]

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 05:24:07 -0600, Petr wrote:

    > I updated my 49g+, but after update I saw just: FLASH NEED UPDATE.
    > So I took SD card and copy files EqnData.lib, EqnLib.lib and
    > 4950_92.bin. Now I see NO SCRIPT FILE (1GB SD,FAT32) or NO CARD,OR
    > ERROR (16MB SD, "only" FAT).

    As suggested in file "readme_zip.rtf" (in the ROM "zip"),
    SD cards used for update may need to be formatted as FAT16 (a/k/a "FAT"),
    which may be possible to format only on a computer, due to the 49G+ calculator
    formatting cards from which it afterwards might not be able to do ROM updates.

    As Eric also says on http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/pc/rom/

    Early 49g+ calculators are not as flexible
    with the arrangement of the data on the card,
    so here are some suggestions to try
    if the calculator fails to find the upgrade file:

    Make sure the card is formatted as FAT16.
    Make sure the update files are among the first files on the card.
    The easy way to guarantee this is to format the card
    and copy over only the update files.

    [r->] [OFF]

  4. Re: Broken HP 49g+

    File update.scp I already had on SD card. It's useless.

  5. Re: Broken HP 49g+

    I think that this is a problem: --------After a successful ROM update,
    be sure to delete any old Equation libraries
    (L226 and L227) from flash (port 2),
    then copy the new replacement libraries (now separate files)
    from SD card (port 3) to port 2,
    because old libraries, which were previously
    built into older ROM update files instead of separate,
    may otherwise cause crashes. ------------- Because I can't do it,
    because I don't have acces to this options. New ROM I installed
    succesfully. So then update.scp (with this content: 4950_92.bin) can't
    help me, I need to install new library. But I really don't know how...

  6. Re: Broken HP 49g+

    Its OK now!!! I took 1GB card, format by FAT16 and I did whole update
    process again.

  7. Re: Broken HP 49g+

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 07:04:44 -0600, Petr wrote:

    > Its OK now!!! I took 1GB card, format by FAT16
    > and I did whole update process again.

    "All's well that ends"

    [r->] [OFF]

+ Reply to Thread