Quoting Terry Simpkins:

"Brian made no such threat..."

Brian is probably repeating what he's heard in his area of the country or
from others in "the South" - I can confirm I've heard people saying the same
thing in my part of the country. Statements like this can be overheard in
restaurants and grocery stores - unfortunately it is not at all uncommon.

Personally I'd rather see the new guy say "uh, yeah, uh, it's worse than I
thought... take this job and shove it, I'm outta here!" and turn it over to
the next guy/gal.