Re: OT: So who won the election? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: So who won the election? - Hewlett Packard ; In today's society its not uncommon for people of mixed race or nationality to declare themselves of one or the other depending upon which may benefit them at the time. And this is especially true if it gives them the ...

  1. Re: OT: So who won the election?

    In today's society its not uncommon for people of mixed race or
    nationality to declare themselves
    of one or the other depending upon which may benefit them at the time.
    And this is especially
    true if it gives them the ability to play the discrimination card. I've
    seen this first hand on
    a number of different occasions. I'm not proposing that this is true in
    this case, however, it's
    become known that one of the campaign strategies that has come-out which
    was used on a
    number of occasions was when difficult questions were posed concerning
    proposals/etc. the
    democrates would claim it was racists driven and would not answer. It
    was ironic that they even
    terms Clinton a racist at one point....notice how he/Hilary seemed to
    disengage....

    I do think its interesting that it was the Democratic folks that
    continually raised this as a
    campaign issue. Does anyone recall any time when McCain or Palin raised
    this issue
    as many times as Obama or others? And for most all people I visited with
    they were interested
    in learning more about where Obama stood on issues and his background
    that may have influenced
    his thinking. I personally could care less about one's color, it's what
    is your position on the
    important issues and proposals...and whether they align with my views or
    not that will influence
    my decision.

    Technically, Obama, born from one white parent and one black parent, is
    defined as mulatto
    according to Merriam-Webster::

    Main Entry: mu·lat·to

    Pronunciation: \mə-ˈla-(ˌ)tō, mu̇-, myu̇-, -ˈlä-\

    Function: /noun/

    Inflected Form(s): /plural/ mu·lat·toes /or/ mu·lat·tos

    Etymology: Spanish /mulato,/ from /mulo/ mule, from Latin /mulus/

    Date: 1593

    1 *:* the first-generation offspring of a black person and a white person
    2 *:* a person of mixed white and black ancestry

    The Urban Dictionary further defines mulato as "Halfican American".

    Regardless of all this....I think that by in-large, the press did the
    American people a
    great injustice throughout this election cycle based upon the
    differences in how they
    chose to report (or not report) information. I am also concerned about the
    tactics that were used on Palin, Joe the plumber, some reporting news
    groups and
    others in terms of working to discredit them because they had different
    instead of simply clarifying/defending the candidate's position. I'm
    concerned
    how this might occur again....(shades of 'tricky Dick'...)

    Brice Yokem wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:03:33 -0600, Mark Ranft wrote:
    >

    >> Someone said, "they voted for the black man"
    >>
    >> 1) Obama is not black. He is of mixed race. That would seem to make
    >> it hard for anyone (even and maybe especially blacks) to vote for him
    >> because of his race. Obviously a lot of people voted for him on
    >> another basis -- perhaps his Christianity. (Or are you one of the
    >> ones that thinks he is Muslim? Even if he was (and he isn't),
    >> shouldn't we support our right to freedom of religion.) Or did he
    >> get all the votes simply because everyone wants a change from the
    >> Republican leadership we currently have in the White House?
    >>

    > Maybe you need to send a message to the mainstream media?
    > They keep calling him an 'African-American', if that is not 'Black'
    > then what, exactly, is the difference? How much mixed racial
    > blood do you need to have to be called 'Of Mixed Race?'

  2. Re: OT: So who won the election?

    Jerry,
    You just hit the nail on the head. My biggest problem is not with
    Obama himself, it's how untouchable many area of his past were,
    according t0 the press and the democratic party. Why shouldn't we the
    citizens of the US know about his relationship with Rev. Wright and the
    other radicals he ran with. Why was Palin subjected to the clothing
    abuse for a mere $150,000, and nobody said a thing about the millions
    spend on victory parties by Obama. These were thing paid for by there
    party, not the people of the US. Just another thought.

  3. Re: OT: So who won the election?

    No retort, Steve, other than MERE 150,000?

    You just hit the nail on the head. My biggest problem is not with
    Obama himself, it's how untouchable many area of his past were,
    according t0 the press and the democratic party. Why shouldn't we the
    citizens of the US know about his relationship with Rev. Wright and the
    other radicals he ran with. Why was Palin subjected to the clothing
    abuse for a mere $150,000, and nobody said a thing about the millions
    spend on victory parties by Obama. These were thing paid for by there
    party, not the people of the US. Just another thought.

  4. Re: OT: So who won the election?

    Yeah....and what did the Democratic party spend sending a bunch of folks
    to Alaska to
    dig/try to find dirt on the Palins...or to search public records/etc. to
    try and discredit
    Joe 'the plumber' when he simply was asking a question that was
    important to his
    perspective...?

    There's clearly arguments on both sides for questionable decisions in
    how resources were
    used. Hindsight is always 20-20...