OT: TOTAL IE7 Hosed - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on OT: TOTAL IE7 Hosed - Hewlett Packard ; Gentle listers- Well, I have spent an entire day trying to get this GD thing fixed, and some time this AM I happened upon a product that seemed to help - it identified a 'Critical' threat, then asked for $40US...If ...

  1. OT: TOTAL IE7 Hosed

    Gentle listers-

    Well, I have spent an entire day trying to get this GD thing fixed, and some time this AM I happened upon a product that seemed to help - it identified a 'Critical' threat, then asked for $40US...If I had half a brain I would have whipped out my Visa and paid it on the spot.

    In any event I didn't and now, I HAVE NO IE7 working at all in regular mode. It will run in "SAFE" but it looks like I will have to rebuild this box tomorrow.

    It's like the virus 'knows' I'm trying to fix it! DRAT! DOH!

    Best

    JP

  2. Re: OT: TOTAL IE7 Hosed

    Penney, John wrote:

    > Well, I have spent an entire day trying to get this GD thing fixed, and some time this AM I happened upon a product that seemed to help - it identified a 'Critical' threat, then asked for $40US...If I had half a brain I would have whipped out my Visa and paid it on the spot.

    I feel obliged to point out that one of the more persistent scams out
    there is the "fake" antivirus/antispyware that does just that --
    pretends to find something, asks for money, pretends to remove it,
    lather, rinse, repeat.

    Atrivo/Inhoster/Intercage probably had the most press along these lines
    lately. See:

    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sec..._as_major.html

    or just Google.

    Know thy enemy :-)