Re: OT: So who won the election? - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on Re: OT: So who won the election? - Hewlett Packard ; Quoting Terry Simpkins (in part): "It's a very sad day for our country. But then we are know[n] to 'loose our minds' every 12-16 years and elect a complete 'nothing'. Carter, Clinton, Obama....." Someone else said Obama says nothing better ...

  1. Re: OT: So who won the election?

    Quoting Terry Simpkins (in part):

    "It's a very sad day for our country. But then we are know[n] to 'loose our
    minds' every 12-16 years and elect a complete 'nothing'. Carter, Clinton,
    Obama....."

    Someone else said Obama says nothing better than anyone else. The news just
    showed a clip of his teleprompter reading from last night, where he says it
    may take a while to "get there" and he's never been more confident that as a
    nation we'll "get there."

    Where is this "there" he's speaking of? He has YET to define "there."

    Perhaps there is no "there" there?

    .... ditto the rest of what Terry said....

    Quoting Kent Wallace (in part):

    "Are any of you old enough to remember the Carter years?"

    Yes, Kent, I am. Lived through every suffering minute of it.

    "High inflation..."

    You're understating the situation there, Kent. Not only high inflation
    (21%+) but sky high interest rates - also 21%+. Also let us not forget the
    Arab oil embargo which for the first time in U.S. history brought us gas
    lines and purchasing gas on alternate days according to the last digit of
    your license plate. Remember that? I do, and I remember waiting hours in
    those gas lines, and in the area where we lived then (Arlington, VA) you
    were limited in the amount of gas you could buy too.

    "Eventually they lead to the Reagan years that accomplished so much."

    Yes, periodically the electorate must make a major mistake thereby setting
    the stage to learn lessons all over again that the country learned many
    times before, and even other nations learned before. However, those that do
    not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them - and in this
    case it's the masses that filled in the blank slate that is Obama - fill in
    your own meaning for the "there" that he wants to take all of us to - and
    just where is that?

    "These people were voted in by a majority of Americans."

    Yes, by some that actually said on camera that Obama was going to pay their
    mortgage and put gas in their tanks. There needs to be an intelligence test
    for voting.

    "I think Carter was a big promoter of Nuclear Power?"

    Yes he was, and where did that get our country? Obama says we need to
    "explore the use of nuclear energy" - REALLY? Not good enough for France?
    Not good enough to power aircraft carriers and subs for our Navy for what,
    the last fifty years? We need to explore the use of nuclear energy? Good
    grief, what time warp is this guy in? We know Biden (who unfortunately will
    be the next Vice President) thinks Franklin Delano Roosevelt was President
    in 1929 and went on television to calm the nation... news flash Joe, Herbert
    Hoover was President in 1929 and television didn't come in until the early
    1950's. I'm old enough to remember television being a novelty in a home, not
    a commodity.

  2. Re: OT: So who won the election?

    On Nov 5, 2008, at 5:32 PM, Matthew Perdue wrote:

    > You're understating the situation there, Kent. Not only high inflation
    > (21%+) but sky high interest rates - also 21%+. Also let us not
    > forget the
    > Arab oil embargo which for the first time in U.S. history brought us
    > gas
    > lines and purchasing gas on alternate days according to the last
    > digit of
    > your license plate. Remember that? I do, and I remember waiting
    > hours in
    > those gas lines, and in the area where we lived then (Arlington, VA)
    > you
    > were limited in the amount of gas you could buy too.

    Minor quibble - that was in 1973-1974, when Gerald Ford was President,
    after six+ years of RIchard M. Nixon. Jimmy Carter had yet to appear
    on the scene.

    I, fortunately, drove a "powerful" 4 cylinder Pinto at that time. It
    was named the lame turtle, but it had two great advantages. 1-it was
    cheap on gas, especially went gas hit 30 cents a gallon! 2-it was
    impossible to get a speeding ticket in that damn thing... cops would
    just let me go on while they doubled over laughing.