OT: Malware, virus or whatever (IE) - Hewlett Packard

This is a discussion on OT: Malware, virus or whatever (IE) - Hewlett Packard ; Gentle Listers: Probably should have done this sooner, but..... I have a phenomenon whereby my Internet Explorer, after 10 minutes of operation, just stops functioning - displays 'cannot display web page' and nothing else happens. This has been going on ...

  1. OT: Malware, virus or whatever (IE)

    Gentle Listers:

    Probably should have done this sooner, but.....

    I have a phenomenon whereby my Internet Explorer, after 10 minutes of operation, just stops functioning - displays 'cannot display web page' and nothing else happens. This has been going on for about 4 - 5 months. My Trend Micro Internet Security has been useless. Ditto HP (HP Pavilion laptop), and there are no problems with my Linksys wireless setup.

    Interestingly, if I am VPN'ing to a client then everything works fine - even if I am not logged into my remote desktop.

    Aside from a complete backup and reload (running XP) - does anyone have any ideas as to how to rid myself of this virus?

    Many thanks for the bandwidth!

    JP

  2. Re: OT: Malware, virus or whatever (IE)

    Penney, John wrote:
    > I have a phenomenon whereby my Internet Explorer, after 10 minutes of operation, just stops functioning - displays 'cannot display web page' and nothing else happens. This has been going on for about 4 - 5 months.

    (off the top of my head... by no means an exhaustive list :-) ) Next
    time you experience the problem...

    (1) Try going to command line and to see if DNS is working, e.g.,
    "nslookup www.hp.com". If it does not,
    * "ipconfig /all" and check your DNS settings to see if they are
    what you would "expect". I suspect your DNS is being hijacked (numerous
    malware does this).

    (2) Try the suggestion of using Firefox, particularly using it
    *alongside* IE. If IE fails and Firefox does not,
    * you likely have a BHO / ActiveX exploit that hooks IE code.

    (3) If they both fail, try rebooting and using *only* Firefox. If the
    problem goes away,
    * you may still have IE-related malware (hooks planted by BHO /
    ActiveX, or IE registry hooks).

    (4) If the hangups still occur and still characterized by DNS / IE
    failures, you may have a hosed stack.
    * try winsockfix or similar repair tool (google is your friend in
    this case)

    (5) Still no joy? Try rebooting in "Safe mode with Networking" and see
    if the browser problem goes away. If so,
    * you've got some sort of malware launched by startup. HiJackThis
    or similar tool may highlight suspicious startup services, but this is
    becoming an adventure too lengthy for email :-)

    Jeff

  3. Re: OT: Malware, virus or whatever (IE)

    John,

    Take a look at the web site http://www.techsupportforum.com/
    They have a very good area on malware removal - these guys are good,
    and all volunteers. If you ask for there help just give them some
    time to respond, but they can help you remove what ever is ailing your
    PC.

    Hope this helps

    Robert Schlosser
    Global Business Systems
    Premier Farnell plc
    T 864 487-1362
    F 864.487.1904
    E rschlosser@premierfarnell.com
    Your #1 source for RoHS compliant products & information.
    www.newark.com

    Probably should have done this sooner, but.....

    I have a phenomenon whereby my Internet Explorer, after 10 minutes of operation, just stops functioning - displays 'cannot display web page' and nothing else happens. This has been going on for about 4 - 5 months. My Trend Micro Internet Security has been useless. Ditto HP (HP Pavilion laptop), and there are no problems with my Linksys wireless setup.

    Interestingly, if I am VPN'ing to a client then everything works fine - even if I am not logged into my remote desktop.

    Aside from a complete backup and reload (running XP) - does anyone have any ideas as to how to rid myself of this virus?

    Many thanks for the bandwidth!

    JP

    https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/wQw0zmjPoHdJTZGyOCrrhg==
    Click on the link above to report this email as spam to BlackSpider.

    ***************************Disclaimer************* **************
    The contents of this e-mail and any file transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. The content may also contain legal, professional or other privileged information. If you received this e-mail in error, please destroy it immediately. You should not copy or use it for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any other person. The views stated herein do not necessarily represent the view of the Company. Please ensure you have adequate virus protection before you open or detach any documents from this transmission. The Company does not accept any liability for viruses.
    Premier Farnell plc
    150 Armley Road Leeds
    LS12 2QQ
    Telephone +44 (0) 870 129 8608
    Fax +44 (0) 870 129 8610
    Registered in England
    Company Number 876412
    Registered Office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE ************************************************** **********

  4. Re: OT: Malware, virus or whatever (IE)

    John,

    You might also try going to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

    I've found this handy when trying to isolate whether a problem is with IE itself or one of the many add-ons it uses.

    HTH,
    Patrick Santucci

    Oracle Database Administrator
    HP-UX Systems Admin